GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do remember reading some posts from years ago on the general subject of spare tires / donut tires for the Volt, but I couldn't seem to find any after an admittedly brief search.

Sometimes I wonder what kind of hassle it would be to deal with a flat when I'm way out in the boonies on a road trip. These are rare for me, but, nevertheless, I wonder about it. Would it be worth my while to buy and carry a donut tire on long road trips? Oh -- and a jack too, I guess!

Do you carry a spare tire/wheel or donut tire and a jack in your Volt? Any thoughts or advice to relay on the subject?

·
Registered
514 Posts
You're right! - It has been thoroughly discussed here, several times

After reading all about it, I bought a jack and a spare, intending to carry them on longer trips. They're in the garage, haven't been used as yet 'cause we haven't made a long trip since we brought the Volt home . . . . which was a 1,000 mile trip

Don

·
Administrator
20,643 Posts
If only there were a whole FAQ on tires and wheels in the Newcomers Tips and FAQ's section...

If there were, I would have used it to buy the donut spare and jack I keep in my garage. You know, if there were. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Steverino, a Super Moderator indeed!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
We have a compact spare tire, and all the tools to change a tire, with our 2016 Volt. Last year my wife and I took our vacation in Wallowa County in Oregon which is a desolate section of Oregon located in the extreme northeastern Oregon. We went on the back roads fishing and filming our trip. Some places there was no cell coverage and if we had a flat tire we could be stranded for a long time.

Its a piece of mind to say the least. We have the compact spare behind the passenger front seat, and the tools are located in the center of the tire as it came from the factory so it is very compact and the tools are right inside the tire to make it easy. Takes up hardly no room at all and my wife can still lean back in her seat comfortably.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I bought a Cruze jack and tools off Ebay for around $40. It came with the jack, lug wrench, jack handle, and 2 folding wheel chocks in a nice velcro case. A fellow Volt owner gave me a spare from a Cadillac DTS that he found at a junkyard. Got a nice cover from Amazon for the tire and keep it in the garage. The jack and tools are in the Volt, and I throw the spare in the back when going out of town.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm a bit surprised to see folks going to the bother of getting a spare but then keeping it in the garage. I followed one of the "how to" posts here that included instructions on using a long threaded bolt up through the floor of the cargo area to hold the spare. That's how I carry mine. Always there if I need it, and it and the long bolt are fairly easily removable if I need to get them out of the way.

·
Administrator
20,643 Posts
I'm a bit surprised to see folks going to the bother of getting a spare but then keeping it in the garage. I followed one of the "how to" posts here that included instructions on using a long threaded bolt up through the floor of the cargo area to hold the spare. That's how I carry mine. Always there if I need it, and it and the long bolt are fairly easily removable if I need to get them out of the way.
The last time I had a flat was maybe 15 or 20 years ago. Carrying around a spare locally just is not that critical for me. If I ever do have a flat. my wife can get the spare etc. from the garage and bring it to me, or I can have the car towed home worst case.

So I keep my spare, jacks, lug nut wrench, wheel chocks, and torque wrench in the garage for the rare event I get a flat.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The last time I had a flat was maybe 15 or 20 years ago. Carrying around a spare locally just is not that critical for me. If I ever do have a flat. my wife can get the spare etc. from the garage and bring it to me, or I can have the car towed home worst case.

So I keep my spare, jacks, lug nut wrench, wheel chocks, and torque wrench in the garage for the rare event I get a flat.
I can see how that makes sense. I live in a rural area with spotty cell service, so here it would be easy to wind up with a flat and no way to call for assistance.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I'm a bit surprised to see folks going to the bother of getting a spare but then keeping it in the garage.
Like Steverino, I keep my spare in the garage because I rarely leave the city. There is always someone at home who can bring me the spare if needed. My work commute is all of 3 miles, so I don't see any reason to haul the spare around.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I keep a full size in back strapped down ( should be safe for low speed local city trips of 35 MPH -back seats are down)
It is too hot in Texas summer to get stuck out in the heat for a long wait.

----
Only 2 flats in 7 years both nails.
Last time I looked my 1 mile away NTB had Volt type tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts