GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a 2013 and now a 2017, but with the end (ugh) of the Volt, I've been considering picking up a 2011 (at a reasonable price) if it seems to be in "collector" territory. I realize this is likely a poor investment as the car could be worth nothing in 10 years. But who cares, I love the car and especially the Gen 1.

I couldn't find the answer to this, but I know the early 2011s had the VIN pop up on the center console at startup. Was it the first 2000 that did this? I've been surprised that I've found a few early build/low mileage 2011s within a couple hour driving distance, but don't want to waste time. I also like (or maybe appreciate is a better word) the geometric designs on some of the door panels. It would be cool to snag a early build Volt where GM was really trying some "different" stuff to make the car unique and special. Too bad it seems the wild LIME GREEN interior didn't pop up until 2012.

Anyone know when they stopped putting the VIN on the center console? Any other 2011 early build "niceties" unique to that model year?

·
Administrator
20,196 Posts
Mine has a higher number than that and it displays.

The 2011 has an embossed aluminum cover plate on the inverter cover inside the engine bay. Later models have a decal.
Almost the entire underbody is covered in air defectors. Later models have nothing.
The roof and rear hatch are black. Later models are painted body color.
Interior door panels are different (I think). And iPhone white center console was an option. Other years may have that, not sure.

·
Registered
923 Posts
'11 also has a 30GB HDD for music storage, which allows pausing live radio as well.

And yes, mine has the VIN popup.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Didn't the HDD also allow playing a movie on the center screen while parked?

The white center stack was common well after 2011, at least through 2013. Probably all of Gen 1.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
We have a 2011and a 2012, the 2011 shows last 4 of VIN and ours is over 2000 while the 2012 which was very early in 2012 (purchased in Nov. of 2011) does not display the VIN.

Our 2011 is pretty unique, white diamond with all options except parking assist including the designer door panels.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a 2011, #3385 and it pops up on the display upon start up. I also have the lime green inserts in the doors and front and rear leather seats also have the green running through it. Have had it just over 4 years, currently 125,000 miles+.

·
Administrator
20,196 Posts
Didn't the HDD also allow playing a movie on the center screen while parked?
Yes, I have that as well. It will play DVD's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts