GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just joined the forum. I have a 2000 Honda insight with 198k miles on it that's getting pretty long in the tooth. I was excited to find that used Volts are quite affordable, and will likely be looking for a 2014 Volt sometime in the next few weeks. I hope I can get some tips from people here about this and other things I come across in my search. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I'm thinking a Gen1 Insight just might have potential collector value. Maybe you can still get a few dollars for it.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Had both

When I bought my 2000 Insight in 2002 I felt like I was driving the space ship of the future.

I felt the same way about my 2013 Volt.

Both in KC, btw!

You won't be sorry. The Volt is one of the few cars that can be cheaper to drive than the Insight !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Go for it!

I got my wife a used 2014 volt a couple of years ago. It had a salvage title with the rear hatch & bumper replaced. I paid about $10,000, but it had stupid-low miles. No issues at all. One thing I added was rear camera ( which was pretty involved, but a fun diy, with:

http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/in...n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54&vmcchk=1&Itemid=54

You can save yourself the trouble with the "premium safety" package. The rear camera should have been standard equipment, since the radio programming is the only difference. I bought my rear camera at best buy, but is likely no different from a cheap ebay camera.

The car runs great. We get more than the expected range, and have only burned gas a couple of times. No need for a 240 volt charger, and if you do run out of charge, it will remind you by the hum of the engine.

I just bought a 2014 smart electric. Same batteries, but no gas. Just for in-town. $5500 with 28,000 miles. Still in warranty (a little).

Back to the Volt: A lot easier to find info, but not as ugly as the Leaf, and the battery is longer-lasting (cooling system in the Volt), Extremely high miles would not scare me away. Parts shared with Chevy Cruise, like a smart key that you can program yourself, even if you lose the originals. It's even in the owner's manual.

Heated seats and steering is a plus.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
When I bought my 2000 Insight in 2002 I felt like I was driving the space ship of the future.

I felt the same way about my 2013 Volt.

Both in KC, btw!

You won't be sorry. The Volt is one of the few cars that can be cheaper to drive than the Insight !
I'm thinking a Gen1 Insight just might have potential collector value. Maybe you can still get a few dollars for it.
Norton wants your Insight. :D

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Norton wants your Insight. :D
PM me with the good buddy, fellow nerd price !!!! :cool:

I still have my 'Grid Charger' for the Insight !

An amazing High-Tech car! Built at Honda's High-Tech Aluminum car factory. It's sibs were the NSX and the S2000. Good company!

ps.
I actually owned two of these. The second was after my Volt went away and I needed an interterm car before my next EV.
It was then that I remembered you can't load two people and their luggage for an airport run. It wasn't funny the second time.:(
Still to haulyoazz down the road there is NO more frugal gasser out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought I replied to this thread before, but maybe it got stuck in moderation? How long does a new member require moderation on posts?

Anyways, thanks for the replies. And a quick question - is there a thread or sticky somewhere that details people's experiences so far with battery replacement? I see an article I think it was from last year where Chevy says zero packs have been replaced yet due to degradation, and if I go for a 2014 with ~50k on it, I won't have to worry for a while due to warranty, but I'm curious what we think the options will be if/when packs start to die, which is bound to happen eventually. I suspect full retail for a replacement is A LOT, but maybe by then there will be some salvage yard packs that can be had? Other than that issue, I think I'm pretty much sold on getting a Volt as an Insight replacement. At $12-14k for a 2013-2014 car with relatively low miles, and plug-in capability, that's just too good a deal.

3 people where I work have Teslas. They're super slick, but even if I had $80k laying around, I can't justify spending that much on a car! I'm just a little cheap by nature I guess. My hope is that maybe one day in a few years, a used Model 3 will be within my reach though. Let's see.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Thought I replied to this thread before, but maybe it got stuck in moderation? How long does a new member require moderation on posts?

Anyways, thanks for the replies. And a quick question - is there a thread or sticky somewhere that details people's experiences so far with battery replacement? I see an article I think it was from last year where Chevy says zero packs have been replaced yet due to degradation, and if I go for a 2014 with ~50k on it, I won't have to worry for a while due to warranty, but I'm curious what we think the options will be if/when packs start to die, which is bound to happen eventually. I suspect full retail for a replacement is A LOT, but maybe by then there will be some salvage yard packs that can be had? Other than that issue, I think I'm pretty much sold on getting a Volt as an Insight replacement. At $12-14k for a 2013-2014 car with relatively low miles, and plug-in capability, that's just too good a deal.

3 people where I work have Teslas. They're super slick, but even if I had $80k laying around, I can't justify spending that much on a car! I'm just a little cheap by nature I guess. My hope is that maybe one day in a few years, a used Model 3 will be within my reach though. Let's see.
You can find many threads on battery life / battery replacement for the Volt's traction battery. The bottom line is this is just not an issue. The Volt's high voltage battery pack is covered by an 100k/8year warranty (except in California where the warranty extends to 150k miles.) The Volt's traction battery consists of 4 modules. If there is a failure within any of the cells or sensors within any part of the Volt's battery pack the failed module can be readily replaced under warranty by an authorized Volt service technician at participating Chevrolet dealers (not all Chevy dealers sell/support the Volt.)

The Volt's battery has been tested by GM to last 250k miles. The Volt's battery will probably be among the last major systems in a Volt to fail.

The common Volt maintenance items include tires, wiper blades and the 12V AGM battery. The mechanical parts that seem to fail include CV joints, a specific electric motor bearing (in the Gen 1 Volt). This bearing replacment is covered under the 100k mile/8 year Voltec drive system warranty. The charging port can wear out over time, this part is easily replaced.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
... a quick question - is there a thread or sticky somewhere that details people's experiences so far with battery replacement?.
The thing about the Volt, and GMs EVs/PHEVs in general, is that they have a thermally managed (liquid cooled/heated) battery pack. It doesn't degrade like, say, a Nissan Leaf - which basically has no thermal management at all. GM seems to have done a good job engineering it to last a long time. Of course a few folks have experienced other failures. But those are a real exception.

I tend to keep my cars way past their 'sell by' date. I'm thinking if my Volt ever needs a replacement pack outside of warranty, I'd just try to find one at a wrecking yard. Or maybe by then there will be aftermarket packs available that are better than the original.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. It's amazing how far battery technology has come since the early days of hybrids and EVs, primarily using NiMH. Good to know that worrying about the traction battery in a Volt isn't really a concern at this point.

Edit - So what charger(s) will be expected to come with a used gen1 volt? Just the portable 120v unit? I would eventually get a level 2, but we might be moving in a few weeks/months so perhaps will wait to install a new circuit until after that and use 120v in the meantime.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Thanks for the info. It's amazing how far battery technology has come since the early days of hybrids and EVs, primarily using NiMH. Good to know that worrying about the traction battery in a Volt isn't really a concern at this point.
Things can go bad (we've seen a few temperature sensors go flakey, and I'm sure Chevy's kind of wishing they'd made those independently replaceable now), but yeah, predictable "wearing out" isn't an issue until you're well on your way to a half-million miles.

C

·
0 Posts
I'm starting to face parts availability issues with my 2000 Insight / 2030 CRX as I've thought of it. I've been using the Insight as a mini-PHEV since installing first one then a parallel pair of 350mA chargers in it shortly after getting it. NiMH has nasty self-discharge issues and just doesn't store much. The Volt does in magnificent real, full abundance what I've been sort of getting the Insight to sort of do. I've also gotten the impression GM took the same approach to the Volt as Honda did with the MkI Insight - do it right or you've badly damaged the company's future prospects, hence both having raving fan owners' clubs. The last GM car I've driven was an '80 Monza, ye Gods what mediocrity, the Volt appears to be the extreme opposite. GM figured out how to make a fine future-minded smallish car, finally.

Last summer I got 68mpg tank after tank in the Insight at about 317,000 miles, not too shabby. I have a rule that any replacement car has to get better mpg than what it's replacing. My commute is long enough to beat up a LEAF's pack within a few to several years, the Bolt is too expensive for me, but with at-work charging the Volt's electric-only range would do most of to nearly all the work, and I love its excellent pack active thermal management, so a Volt (pref. 2015) it shall be. I asked lots of questions at insightcentral.net for half a year before finding the right one to go for it with, and now 9 years later I'm here to see what all I'd be getting into with a Volt (hopefully including regular Meets like Insight owners have). I have a book on the MkI Volt (+ on the EV1, + Car Guys vs. Bean Counters and Guts), paid close attention during the MkI's development and have some familiarity with the Volt MkII improvements (via an article in Charged magazine).

I'm glad to be here, and from what I've read, massive kudos to GM since the nasty Monza days. They don't build 'em like they used to, thank heavens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger

1 - 12 of 12 Posts