GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excerpt from "The Street":

"October ought to have been a bad month for Volt. Gas prices were falling. Auto industry wisdom had it that with so many conventional cars closing in on 40 miles per gallon, why would anyone spend $30,000 for a compact? Also, the last month of the presidential campaign reinvigorated advocates of the political construct that anything government does -- particularly saving GM (GM) -- is bad. Nevertheless, Volt had its best month ever in October, selling 2,961 units. This broke the record ..." <read more...>

·
Registered
805 Posts
Want to see how successful the Volt is? Here's a comparison vs. the Prius first five years in the US, the Prius had an advantage being out for 3 years before it hit the US. The first full year the Volt was out, I don't think it was sold in all 50 states, maybe the Prius was the same it's first year, but here are the figures for the firs five years, of course the Volt hasn't a 3rd - 5th year yet. :) The Volt has outsold the Prius for the first two years so far. The Volt did launch late in 2010, but I didn't count that. Instead just Jan.-Dec first two years.

Code:
YRS MY	Prius Sold	MY	Volts Sold	
  1	2000	5,600	2011	7,671	
  2	2001	15,600	2012	19,309,…..	…. And counting!
  3	2002	20,100	2013	?	
  4	2003	24,600	2014	?	
  5	2004	54,000	2015	?
The Volt could sell more this year than the Prius sold in it's 4th year! But it would be nice to eclipse the Prius' 5th year in 2013. :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Want to see how successful the Volt is? Here's a comparison vs. the Prius first five years in the US

The Volt could sell more this year than the Prius sold in it's 4th year! But it would be nice to eclipse the Prius' 5th year in 2013. :)
This is a great comparison - people continually try to make the comparison without the memory of those early Prius days.

When did Prius take off? Was it when Gen 2 was introduced and the price came down and availability was no longer an issue? Feels like déjà vu all over again...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not to be a Debbie downer but October still had very aggressive discounts, also gas was still over $4 gallon. November had the Volt lease programs pulled back a bit and gas prices have plummeted.This will be very interesting what the Nov Volt sales will look like. I'm betting they will be less than Oct sales.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Articles like this are not helping to sell cars. We Volt owners all know what a fantastic car it really is... But too many people out in the general public still think it's a Chevy Cruze that Obama forced GM into electrifying into a fireball that dies on the side of the road after 40 miles. (Thanks Mark Modeca, Fox News and Rush Limbaugh.) And they think that we Volt drivers stole $7,500 out of their pockets so we can get our Volt.

Yes... It is all a bunch of BS... But this is just another Volt bashing article in sheep's clothing.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Articles like this are not helping to sell cars. We Volt owners all know what a fantastic car it really is... But too many people out in the general public still think it's a Chevy Cruze that Obama forced GM into electrifying into a fireball that dies on the side of the road after 40 miles. (Thanks Mark Modeca, Fox News and Rush Limbaugh.) And they think that we Volt drivers stole $7,500 out of their pockets so we can get our Volt.

Yes... It is all a bunch of BS... But this is just another Volt bashing article in sheep's clothing.
Actually, I've never met anyone who thinks that. Well, maybe one, LOL. Mostly they just don't know what it is.

Somebody from the Austin Grand Prix was asked Sunday how people in Austin felt about it. He said something like "10% love it, 10% hate it, and 80% just want to know what's for dinner." "They don't know about it and care less." That's the real challenge for Volt sales IMHO. It's just gonna take time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree with Noel, I live in SE Texas (Truck country), and 99% of people here have no idea what it is. It's like 'ohhh poor fella couldn't afford a truck' If I take time to show it to someone, they usually like it, but most ask me how would you tow a four wheeler with that? I think the Volt, for now - until the word gets out better, is a niche car, its the car guys electric car. In other words, you have to be a car guy/gal, and then you have to be into electric drive/erev. Not to say that I haven't caught some folks admiring it in the rearview mirror. It's like they don't want you to know they are interested in it. That may just have to do with the mentality of the 'average' citizen in the area you live. Still LOVE my VOLT, and my wife and I argue over who gets to drive it, and MY wife is SMART enough to remember to plug it in. (he he he) Now we are looking for a nice price on a used one so we can have two!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Actually, I've never met anyone who thinks that. Well, maybe one, LOL. Mostly they just don't know what it is.

Somebody from the Austin Grand Prix was asked Sunday how people in Austin felt about it. He said something like "10% love it, 10% hate it, and 80% just want to know what's for dinner." "They don't know about it and care less." That's the real challenge for Volt sales IMHO. It's just gonna take time.
I know at least 4 people that believe my car will burst into flames and their tax money pays for my car. Generally I tell them they are too stupid to respond.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Can you re do the stats without gov't purchases and fleet sales? It would be interesting. Also, I think the surge in sales can be attributed to the outstanding recent commercials GM has now on the Volt. Really clear and explain the car well to the neophyte, removing a lot of the misconceptions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts