GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been agonizing over which car to buy. I bought a 2013 in 2013 for $28k and love the car; we now have 30k miles and were getting 160mpg. We also owned a 2011 Honda CR-Z hybrid (terrible car btw, it struggled to get 38mpg). I looked at Leafs, sparks, RAV4EV, and the Tesla but even used ones are out of our price range. I knew I wanted a 2013 or higher due to the extra range (40 mile round trip to work). Here is my argument for the Volt, if you have a Camry or Fusion that get 40mpg next to a Volt that can easily get over 100mpg why the heck would you get a regular car.

So I decided to get a second Volt but then the 2016 specs came out and I was torn, but always searching Cars.com for a good deal. Then this one came up at 2013 with leather, Bose, seat heaters, navigation, these strange Ampera wheels, but oddly no backup camera. It’s a one owner with 49k miles and they were asking $15k. The car has a lifetime average of only 55mpg so the owner didn’t charge it much, it’s in flawless condition. So before you go putting down money on a 2016, take a look at these great deals out there. Here is a picture of my two babies in front of our new house.

I’m going to go get the shorter air dam, one question I had for the forum was; is the navigation updates worth it? I know a lot of people bash the navigation (smartphones are better) but I find it convenient because it’s always on.

volt small.jpg unnamed (1).jpg unnamed (3).jpg unnamed (2).jpg

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Awesome deal, that Volt looks very clean. You know an ICE with 49K miles would be considered at or near it's half life. Anything after 100K is a bonus and anything that fails is usually expensive.

But a Volt should drive like the day it left the factory. Can you compare and confirm. My 2013 Volt only has 16K miles and drives like the day I bought it.

Re the Nav updates, I'd say maybe after 4 or 5 years to get your monies worth. Most major roads and attractions have been known for years if not decades. It's newer stuff like sub-divisions, highway interchanges/exits and maybe some businesses could be missing from the original map. But in that case your smartphone Nav app or Google could take you the last mile.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Well, the discussion yesterday was on a GM engineer saying the battery pack should be good for 6000 charge cycles. So if you drive most electric this car should be good for at least another 200,000 miles, and this doesn't even take the ICE into consideration. I'd say this is a pretty good buy for $15K.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I drove back north from Miami it was 90-100 outside with the AC on comfort doing 80mph and I got 38mpg over 300 miles. As for how it drives it must have been garage kept because its in great shape, when ever I see my neighbors new Prius I just shake my head because he could have had a Volt

·
Registered
13,964 Posts
When I drove back north from Miami it was 90-100 outside with the AC on comfort doing 80mph and I got 38mpg over 300 miles. As for how it drives it must have been garage kept because its in great shape, when ever I see my neighbors new Prius I just shake my head because he could have had a Volt
Most prius shoppers I try to talk into a volt initially think that they can't live with a volt because they need to go more than 40 miles in a day. They are surprised and dumbfounded when I tell them the car switches to gas and my lifetime MPG is 94 MPG. Then they proceed to buy a Prius anyway. I think part of it is this trust that Toyotas will last and Chevy's won't. It's been decades which Gm made those crappy xcars but they are still being punished for it. The recent recalls didn't help. My CTS got a recall for the heavy key fob recall and the solution was an extra key ring between the fob and the key. Alas, I've been using a seperate key ring from my car keys because I have so many cars and my dad had always conditioned me not to put too much weight on the ignition key anyway, but that was more for saving wear and tear on the ignition switch, but for this unintended shutoff result.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Congratulations on both the new house and the car. Both look beautiful. The silver and blue are my two favorite colors on the Volt. Since we don't have snow, being garage kept they should last a very long time.

·
Registered
488 Posts
It's been decades which Gm made those crappy xcars but they are still being punished for it. The recent recalls didn't help.
Except GM did not stop making crappy cars with the xcars. Plenty of issues with GM cars and dealership we dealt with from ~1994 - 2001. Doubted I would own a GM car again after those experiences.

After having a Prius and dealing with the horrible and horribly overpriced service at Toyota I will not be rushing back to one of their dealerships.

So far my experience with GM dealerships is nothing like it was previously. And I mean that in a good way.

·
Registered
13,964 Posts
Except GM did not stop making crappy cars with the xcars. Plenty of issues with GM cars and dealership we dealt with from ~1994 - 2001. Doubted I would own a GM car again after those experiences.

After having a Prius and dealing with the horrible and horribly overpriced service at Toyota I will not be rushing back to one of their dealerships.

So far my experience with GM dealerships is nothing like it was previously. And I mean that in a good way.
My GM cars are a 95 chevy suburban, 99 Deville, 2004 CTS, now a volt.,none has had any issues that weren't normal wear and tear (brakes, rotors, suspension, tie rods, etc.). I wouldn't call any of my cars crappy. Alas, I didn't own any citations, metros, or cavaliers.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Awesome deal, that Volt looks very clean. You know an ICE with 49K miles would be considered at or near it's half life. Anything after 100K is a bonus and anything that fails is usually expensive.

But a Volt should drive like the day it left the factory. Can you compare and confirm. My 2013 Volt only has 16K miles and drives like the day I bought it.

Re the Nav updates, I'd say maybe after 4 or 5 years to get your monies worth. Most major roads and attractions have been known for years if not decades. It's newer stuff like sub-divisions, highway interchanges/exits and maybe some businesses could be missing from the original map. But in that case your smartphone Nav app or Google could take you the last mile.
I do not agree with 49k being half of the ice life. If this was 40 years ago maybe, 100k for a modern fuel injected engine could be considered barely broken in.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I do not agree with 49k being half of the ice life. If this was 40 years ago maybe, 100k for a modern fuel injected engine could be considered barely broken in.
Agreed. A modern engine will go 300K to 500K easy. The door handles may fall off and the suspension may collapse, but modern engines are capable of 10,000 hours with regular maintenance.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Agreed. A modern engine will go 300K to 500K easy. The door handles may fall off and the suspension may collapse, but modern engines are capable of 10,000 hours with regular maintenance.
Along with that a car like a Chevy Cruze is so simple when/if it does break most issues are not a lot of money to fix.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can only echo what an earlier poster said about Prius drivers being shocked we: a.) have an ICE and b.) it seamlessly engages as required. I'm a new owner, but I constantly get range anxiety concerns from co-workers and family. I'm not sure how GM (or any company) can successfully educate or market around that falsehood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do your "lifetime" MPG numbers reflect the cost of electricity to charge your Volt? Perhaps you have solar ... Until SoCal Edison introduced their latest TOU billing rates, the cost of electricity for me (marginal rate of 32cents/kwh) was cost prohibitive. Now I am on a plan with 11 cent super offline rates. That brings charging costs down significantly but it's still not free. When I calculated driving cost at 32cents, the Prius was more economical. As for dealer service, the two Priuses (or is it Prii?) that we've owned only required (knock on wood) routine maintenance. Yes, it's expensive at the dealer, but I can change the 2 air filters myself in about 5 minutes so that leaves only oil changes to be done at the dealership.

With my new TOU rates, I'll be looking at Volts again next Feb when the Prius lease expires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts