GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought an OBD2 adaptor, when I went to plug it into the appropriate port, drivers side on my UK Vauxhall Ampera, I found there to be a connector in there already, it's a black plug, a ribbon cable with roughly 10 wires, marked on the plug is 'reconnect if disconnected'. The wire is neatly cable tied, then an amount of wire is stuffed up the dash, it's certainly not an OEM job, then it disappears toward the back of the car along the inside of the centre tunnel, kind of close to the gear lever. I've disconnected it, driven the car, and all seems well. does anyone have a clue what on earth this could be, or have been for ?

thanks

Paul

sorry the attached image is upside down :

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I reckon that's a slim possibility, I posted on a UK car forum, and the consensus seems to be that it was probably a vehicle tracker used by some lease companies, that's either been disabled remotely.... or by the fact that I've just unplugged it :)

I won't worry about it

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Yes, I think it is likely a GPS tracker used by the previous owner for some reason like fleet vehicle management or family safety. Some car insurance companies use them to determine rates. Or maybe the previous owner had some kind of tuning or modification installed, but those are not common with these cars.

·
Administrator
20,222 Posts
Do you have a suspicious wife/girlfriend? :)

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Maybe the previous owner had a court-ordered breathalyzer installed in the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I for one would love to know where the other end of that ribbon cable connects to...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts