GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course it's only been a little less than 2 months, but I'm happy to report I have no issues, complaints, or problems with my 2015 Volt whatsoever. It's an incredible machine, a joy to drive, and I'm still learning new things about it every day. We see a lot of negativity on these forums which may give the impression that these cars are troublesome, but they're not. The majority of the Volt drivers out there aren't on any forums and are driving around trouble-free for the most part. We just don't hear as much from the happy, satisfied Volt owners. So I'm here to represent that "silent majority" of Volt owners who are just driving around, like it's a normal car. Which it is!! :cool:

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Over a month in, same here except sometimes the door lock/unlock from the door button doesn't work, (hasn't lately). I measured the battery the week day at 12.3V, I'm assuming it's the original (AC Delco) couldn't dee the date tag (covered by positive fuse panel?) Still only learned 10% of the car (2013), only option is Bose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2015 has been great. I did have a early problem with the GPS not working but dealer replaced unit and all is well. Also had the air deflectors installed on the side mirrors to eliminate buffeting - again pick up by the dealer.

Don’t get fooled - the Volt is a great car and engineered very well. I love driving mine and get lots of favorable comments.

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
My 2011? Like the day I brought it home, plus 96k miles :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2015 has 28,000 miles, have owned it for nearly 3 years. No issues, and I still smile every time I drive it. When I drive my ICE car it seems so primitive in comparison.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Extremely happy with my 2013 after 3 years. Not flawless, but fewer problems than most cars I have owned, including cars by Toyota, Honda, Cadillac, Ford, VW.

·
Registered
419 Posts
JuneBug: thanks for the positive words. I feel the same way, but we've only had our Volt 10 months and only put 8900km on. But you are absolutely correct - online help forums give an often biased, negative view of whatever product they are supporting as the vast majority of owners/users are happily using without having to resort to a forum for assistance. Forums also tend to attract the "afficionados", who can sometimes be nit-picky.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
The majority of the Volt drivers out there aren't on any forums and are driving around trouble-free for the most part.
And there are some on this forum who are similarly trouble-free and not complaining about that either. Count me as one.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Count me as another one, I've owned two Volts for a year and a half and havn't had to do anything but drive them.
There were a couple of recalls and I'm a bugger about software updates (got mine for the steering issue though I never experienced it) but I expect such on new tech.

Unexpected system failures? No, not really - not yet. I'll be keeping this sweet machine for a few more years at a minimum.

And I'm really loving the new grippy rubber I put on this week. I would recommend that folks get over the range maximizing OCD, and go for a better set of boots. So far I've lost 3 miles of AER and the tires aren't even broken in - big whip!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
And I'm really loving the new grippy rubber I put on this week. I would recommend that folks get over the range maximizing OCD, and go for a better set of boots. So far I've lost 3 miles of AER and the tires aren't even broken in - big whip!
I agree with the LRR part. They only make a difference if you are using every last bit of your charge to make it to your destination, otherwise the difference is mote.

As for grippyness than may not matter either unless you follow the car in front too closely or drive a lot in slippery conditions. The grippier the tires the better the chance that the tailgating car behind you is going to run into you (I know his insurance will pay for it but an accident is an accident regardless whose fault it is). As for driving the car as a sports car, well, personally, I have a sport car for that and enjoy that kind driving in that. You can always control your driving but not the other guys.

As for longevity, I have multiple cars and don't drive a lot so the tires age out before they wear out. Your mileage may vary (pun intended).

Most important is how quiet they are. Quietness is one of the reasons we by an EV and it is a factor every time we use the car and unless we listen to the radio full blast drowning out the tire noise, is really the major issue.

Other people will have other priorities as heir circumstances are different.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Very happy with our 2012 Volt. Had a couple of minor issues and recalled items fixed, but no complaints. I am also fine with the stock headlights and tires. I did have one of the tires develop a sidewall leak at 30K, but two made it to 60K (third is in the garage for a spare). The car (with OEM tires) is quieter than any other car I've had.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I bought a low-mileage 2013 one year ago this week - and it has been great. Range varied from 32 in winter (It gets cold up here!) to 46. I actually got 49.8 on one charge on a cool summer day. The car fits my retired lifestyle perfectly, almost all driving is on battery, used less than 10 gallons of gas since purchase. L1 charging at 12A is sufficient for my usage, so I have no need to make the outlay for L2 equipment and 240 wiring in the garage.

My daughter's new Prius IV gets incredible MPG, and probably costs less per mile than the Volt (Until gas goes up again.) The Volt cost per mile is about 40% of my previous ICE car - but that was not the driving factor. I bought the car for what it is, not for what it saves.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts