GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Volt has "Glass, solar absorbing" Has anyone got Spec's on this Standard Feature?

We all can easily learn that most Glass blocks most of the UVB Rays but not UVA, UVC or IR. But I would like to know what are the Specs when tested for the Volt's Glass that is listed as 'Glass, solar absorbing' - so Technically All Glass is 'Solar Absorbing' but that depends on by How Much and What Kinds?

1.) Is that absorbing the UVB (sun burn) what %,
2.) UVC (ozone holes) if present what %,
3.) UVA (Deep Skin Damaging) what %
4.) IR (Heat), etc what %
5.) Is that "Glass, solar absorbing" just the Windshield or all the Volt Glass (sides/rear)?

I know the Windshield may have different Effective Blocking Values than the Side / Rear Glass but I'd like to know what the Standard Volt Glass is by SPEC Blocking for UVA/UVB/UVC(if present)/IR - I want to know so I can decide if Clear UV/IR Blocking Film is going to be needed to protect my family from Exposure on long trips. For example even 'partial blocking of UVB' would be an accumulated exposure value over several days of travel.

I've tried to do my homework and find the SPECS (and Test Results) for the Volt Glass but can't find them.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Definitely get tint. I felt intense solar heat getting through, although there is clearly some reduction from the Manufactured glass. A little tint looks fantastic, adds privacy, and definitely takes down heat which is a killer on electric batteries (AC drain). Personally, I put on the Suntek Carbon XP after reading countless reviews. I'm in Colorado though, where the sun - all bands are INTENSE. Another brand that does great work on IR, UVA, UVB is Huber Optik. Why I chose Suntek Carbon XP is the Huper Optik has this awful purple tint in normal or fluroescent sunlight which makes it's high price look cheap. I passed on that for the Suntek 35%. The Suntek looks like actual glass made coloring. I do wish I'd gone with the slightly darker 20% tint though. Much better appearance, and privacy. People stare at the Volt a lot still.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
You want the numbers which is a Very fair question. I am still looking as well - No answers just interested as well.

Take a close look at all the numbers on sticker on the Volts different windows.

The tint number is only a small help as it is for the light we can see.

Example from on of the Volts windows ; be interesting to know what it all means.
------------------------------
(CCC) E000218
GM Tempered GS
DOT 15 AS2 M102
TRANSP. 70 % min.
Pilkington 80
E1 43R-001229
1 ....
------------------------------------

·
Registered
208 Posts
Definitely get tint. ... Personally, I put on the Suntek Carbon XP after reading countless reviews. I'm in Colorado though, where the sun - all bands are INTENSE. Another brand that does great work on IR, UVA, UVB is Huber Optik.
How do you think the Suntek compares with 3m Crystalline tint? And can you recommend some good review sites?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
It's in the "nano" that makes the difference in my opinion

The nano ceramics, and carbons seem to do great work kicking back destructive, battery draining solar. Tintdude is a good review site. 3M seems to come in last from the reviews I saw though. No idea why, other than perhaps cheap adhesives to go with the cheap pricing. 3M is a good manufacturer. Suntek Carbon XP goes the distance, although there are definitely a few more. Johnson films have a good pedigree, but that is for films attractiveness and cuts, not as much for the nano kickbacks for solar. Huper Optik seems overpriced, at least here in Colorado for what you get, and again, the ceramic throws off an ugly purplish tint. The carbon based nanotechnology keeps the charcoal, which is very elegant. Go darker than I did though - I'm at 35%, and wish I had gone to 20% like on all my other cars.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
A number of the bigger, more manufacturers covered, offer good comparisons of the

film applications and characteristics. I haven't seen anything beat Suntek so far, other than the purplish Huper Optik (even in clear, it gives off that ugly purple, similar to oil in a puddle of water).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You want the numbers which is a Very fair question. I am still looking as well - No answers just interested as well.

Take a close look at all the numbers on sticker on the Volts different windows.

The tint number is only a small help as it is for the light we can see.

Example from on of the Volts windows ; be interesting to know what it all means.
------------------------------
(CCC) E000218
GM Tempered GS
DOT 15 AS2 M102
TRANSP. 70 % min.
Pilkington 80
E1 43R-001229
1 ....
------------------------------------
Thank you for the support with these numbers. I used them to do a bit of searching -

Just to validate that there were no changes for the 2013 MY I went to my Dealer and looked at Volt #D100414 and can confirm that these nearly identical markings are on the 2013 Volt there - The CCC is in an oval. All of the numbers are the same - As I look the best I can find is info on the AS2 M102 as 'Solar Glass' but no clue if its UVA / UVB / UVC / IR Solar Bands they are calling Solar - Also a recent 'Atmospheric Study' following a few of the 2012 Derecho Storms finds Periodic Momentary Ozone Layer Holes over North America which would expose the occupant to UVC. So I really want to know what the Volt Standard Feature 'Glass, Solar Absorbing' really means in terms of protecting my family on long trips.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Since you are in NY, there is pretty strict tint laws on the side windows (front and rear I think) I believe, like 70% light must pass, combined tint and glass.

I have 50% on the front windows, and 15% on the rear and hatch. The little glass below the spoiler got the 50% as well, as it had darker tint already-I'm glad I did this. It's really nice. I might have gotten 50% on the rear side large windows (but left the little quarter window in the rear at 15%) if I had to do it over. I got a sun visor strip as well at 15%, down to the AS1 line, it's not much but I like it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone found out what this means:
GM Tempered GS
DOT 15 AS2 M102
TRANSP. 70 % min.

I am considering tints but would really like to know what stock glass I have. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I took some iphone pictures of all the glass windows on the volt and there are several different ones- the right-left side 3 are the same on both sides. That should be 5+ different numbers.

I have seen the light data for the tint film but not the glass.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but since I was asking myself some of the same questions, I did some research, and came across a relevant TSB at this link http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=181802 . It has guidelines for the front windshield to reduce UV by 96% (down to 4% or less) and side glass to reduce UV by 65% (down to 35% or less).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.