GM Volt Forum banner
81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm pretty sure the dealer installed the update without asking me when I took the car in for work in the past, it now beeps at me three times if I exit the car with it on when it didn't before, I think they're the same update.

So I just tried it out, a big duh moment. I didn't get that you could rotate the light switch down and when it springs back that toggles the lights on and off. I was rotating it forward and turning off the headlights by during the parking lights on.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Resurrecting this thread simply because apparently Tesla decided to resolve this issue in their cars with a "camping mode".
So what happens with a Volt if you put it in neutral and set the parking brake? The engine auto-shutoff only happens in Park, IIRC...

Undocumented Camping mode !!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
So what happens with a Volt if you put it in neutral and set the parking brake? The engine auto-shutoff only happens in Park, IIRC...

Undocumented Camping mode !!
You can't charge while in Neutral. You can clamp the shift lever closed and that does the trick. The A/C will stay on forever that way.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ok, we are taking this deal upscale right now. Volt glamping is now something to talk about. I had a little spare time over Christmas, and got a proper challenge from someone out there. Check out the new VoltMattress!

This was the final fitting, before I cleaned them up

And they store really nicely!

I even test drove them last night and they are really comfortable. Now for the long awaited VoltWindowShades....

Steve

·
Registered
305 Posts
Very cool Steve!

My wife camped in the Volt on a trip up to watch the '17 eclipse and commented that some kind of pad would have made it more comfortable.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Any plans to do the same for Gen 2's? And ouch, the temperature in Rochester must be brutal right now! We have had a week of below freezing temperatures east of the Dallas area, and finally got into the 50's today. We are neither used to or prepared (water pipes, insulation, etc.) for continued temps in the 20's. And our conditions would seem balmy to you guys! You must be tough! A long time ago, I used to fly a C-141 cargo plane from the Seattle area to Japan, stopping over in Alaska to refuel or stay overnight. I always overdressed for the cold because cold scares me! I'd rather battle heat like I'm used to!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Looks great Steve :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
What team did you play for and when? Here is a video for removing the 2016/2017 rear seat bottom cushion so the surface will be flat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sItiSRuX60

The headrests on the 2017 were changed slightly from the 2016. You need a large paperclip to insert in a hole near the base of one headrest stalk (the stalk that does NOT have the button) - push in and it works like the button stalk to release. Guess they saved the price of a button?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just ordered a 2019 Volt LT with the intention of sleeping with it from time to time as well (even though rumor has it the back seat bottom cannot be removed). If anyone has come up with another way to flatten the sleeping area, let me know. Otherwise, stay tuned for updates :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 2019 model is part of the Generation 2 series for the Volt. The information is most likely the same as for the 16/17 model years (also Gen 2).
Is the fact that the rear seats are now heated going to be a problem in removing the seat cushions? Is there wiring and stuff to be careful of?

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Is the fact that the rear seats are now heated going to be a problem in removing the seat cushions? Is there wiring and stuff to be careful of?
It is probably just one connector that needs to be unplugged for the rear seat heater.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyone know if the 2015 Volt seats move differently from 2013 et al? Or is there a release that tips the base forward? I can't seem to get the front passenger seat to move far enough towards the dash to get my 6'2" self in the back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is great info, I've seen similar information about people camping in the back of their Model S Teslas, but hadn't really considered trying it in the Volt. Now I've gotta go look for some milk crates!

81 - 100 of 120 Posts