GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to drive will all my outside lights (driving lights, front lights--low beams) on all the time. I think it's safer, as driving lights only light the front of the car, and there are many times where I live where a storm comes in and I can't see the rear of other cars, because they don't have their driving or other rear lights on. I also think it's safer overall and allows more people to see your car in shady areas (tons of trees where I live) and even when it's bright out.

In my VW, I had to turn on the outside lights when I got in the car and turn them off when I got out. Whereas in our Subaru and Saab, they automatically turned off the outside lights when you turned the car off.

It appears I have to do the same in the Volt: turn on the driving and front lights/low beams when I get in the car and turn off the driving and front lights when I get out. Is this true? Or is there a setting I can change for this?

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
The Volt has different headlight settings. There is off, auto, parking and on. And some Volts have an optional intelliBeam.

The laws are different for different states (and Canada) so the lighting is a little different depending on where you are.

In my case if you turn the lights off it will default to auto the next time you start the car. LED daytime running lights run all the time when in drive or reverse. On Canadian Volts DRL's cannot be turned off. I haven't tested if the lights off option turns off the DRL's as well but I don't think they do.

Auto uses an ambient light sensor to turn the lights on and off. It also will turn the lights on if your wipers are on for a varying period of time (changes based on wiper speed).

On forces your lights on, Parking is your parking lights. One thing I'm not sure about is if you have the lights as on and you turn off the car if the car will automatically shut them down. Worst case the battery run down protection should shut them off after a number of minutes as well.

IntelliBeam (optional) - automatically turns on or off your high beams based on ambient lighting.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
The Volt has DRL (daytime running lights) that run all the time. The low beams will automatically come on once it gets dark enough. Everything shuts off automatically. There are settings you can play with that let you set how long the lights stay on after you lock the car....I think you can choose up to a 2 minute delay.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I like to drive will all my outside lights (driving lights, front lights--low beams) on all the time. I think it's safer, as driving lights only light the front of the car, and there are many times where I live where a storm comes in and I can't see the rear of other cars, because they don't have their driving or other rear lights on. I also think it's safer overall and allows more people to see your car in shady areas (tons of trees where I live) and even when it's bright out.

In my VW, I had to turn on the outside lights when I got in the car and turn them off when I got out. Whereas in our Subaru and Saab, they automatically turned off the outside lights when you turned the car off.

It appears I have to do the same in the Volt: turn on the driving and front lights/low beams when I get in the car and turn off the driving and front lights when I get out. Is this true? Or is there a setting I can change for this?

Thank you.
As with every other car I've had in the last 20 years, you can use the automatic lights feature or turn them on manually.
Once you turn them on manually, you need to turn them off manually. This is consistent with my 2012 Volt as well. I'd expect the Gen 2 to be the same way.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As with every other car I've had in the last 20 years, you can use the automatic lights feature or turn them on manually.
Once you turn them on manually, you need to turn them off manually. This is consistent with my 2012 Volt as well. I'd expect the Gen 2 to be the same way.
I've owned at least two cars that did not work that way. For both our Subaru and our Saab, if I turned on the lights (driving lights/low beams), they turned off the lights when I shut off the car. (I'm not sure about our Honda -- I'll have to check.) I simply left the lights on all the time and never touched the controls. This is exactly what I want to do with the Volt. I do NOT want "auto", as that is not safe enough for me -- I think having only front driving lights on is unsafe in many situations. I want the driving lights and low beams on all the time, daytime or nighttime, and I want the car to turn them off when I turn the car off.

That appears not to be the case with the Volt. I have to manually turn on the driving lights and low beams when I start the car and manually turn them off when I shut the car off. I had to do that with the VW, too, so I'll just learn to do it every single time I drive the Volt, too.

I'm in the US.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I've owned at least two cars that did not work that way. For both our Subaru and our Saab, if I turned on the lights (driving lights/low beams), they turned off the lights when I shut off the car. (I'm not sure about our Honda -- I'll have to check.) I simply left the lights on all the time and never touched the controls. This is exactly what I want to do with the Volt. I do NOT want "auto", as that is not safe enough for me -- I think having only front driving lights on is unsafe in many situations. I want the driving lights and low beams on all the time, daytime or nighttime, and I want the car to turn them off when I turn the car off.

That appears not to be the case with the Volt. I have to manually turn on the driving lights and low beams when I start the car and manually turn them off when I shut the car off. I had to do that with the VW, too, so I'll just learn to do it every single time I drive the Volt, too.

I'm in the US.
I'm pretty sure you don't have to manually turn the low beams OFF after you turn them on initially to get them to turn off once you shut the car down and walk away and lock it. I think that would be the case only if you turned the low beams on manually while the car was off or in accessory mode.

But yes, if you want the low beams on during the day, you would need to turn them on manually. The DRLs are pretty bright by themselves, as they are LED (actually all lights are LED except the high beams and the rear hatch light).

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
From page 153 of the Owners Manual.

Battery Power Protection
The battery saver feature is
designed to protect the vehicle's
12-volt battery.
If the exterior lamps or any interior
lamp is left on and the vehicle is
turned off, the battery rundown
protection system automatically
turns the lamps off after about
10 minutes.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think too much light in daytime could actually make the car less visible and less safe.
I know that sounds weird, but in WWII, the anti-submarine aircraft used forward facing spotlights to mask their approach in daylight. Seems that the bright lights blended into the sky, and they could get much closer to the sub without being spotted.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I know that sounds weird, but in WWII, the anti-submarine aircraft used forward facing spotlights to mask their approach in daylight. Seems that the bright lights blended into the sky, and they could get much closer to the sub without being spotted.
The sky's bright, and with the light on, so is the plane. COLOR is a hard thing to distinguish, so "blue" vs "yellow-white" didn't matter as much.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
A "life hack" solution might be to leave it on 'auto' and just cover "R2-D2" on the dash whenever you drive, so it thinks it's always dark.
Not the greatest, but gets the job done.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I think too much light in daytime could actually make the car less visible and less safe.
My experience just looking out my windshield at oncoming cars on a two-lane highway is that they're a lot more visible with the running lights. Fighter aircraft have a bright sky as their background, but cars usually have blacktop, hills, trees, buildings, etc. - not to mention "mirage" style heat waves that muddy up everything beyond a thousand feet or so. Daytime running lights really make them stand out from the background, IMHO.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do not think the DRLs are enough. I want all the outside lights on all the time.

I will just do what I did with my VW: I'll turn the lights on every time I get in the car and turn them off every time I get out. I did that for 6 years in the VW. Now, I don't think it's necessary and I actually think it's insane to have to do this on a car that's supposedly technologically advanced, but that's the way it is. Where are the Saab designers when we need them?

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
From reading the manual, there is no need to manually turn them off. They will turn off by themselves 10 minutes after shutdown.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have only a suggestion: why not testing everything before and coming up with your findings rather than doing the other way arround ? I know Google is a hard thing to master, but come on, you own a Volt ! :) /joke

I can't see why someone would want all front lights on when DRL is available in the Volt - and smart enough to change to low beams when necessary.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I do not think the DRLs are enough. I want all the outside lights on all the time.

Where are the Saab designers when we need them?

RIP Saab: Swedish brand officially dead

I suspect there may be a good reason those Saab designers just aren't around anymore.

If you really want the DRL + Headlamps both ON, have a look at the link in my signature. It was a very quick/simple mod I performed on my Gen1 and shouldn't be too much different if you really wanted to accomplish this on your Gen2.

Unless it is dark, I personally prefer to have my headlamps + DRL both off when I drive!;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts