GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Administrator
23,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been an ongoing debate here about whether GM should offer some sort of battery replacement program for the Ultium-based EV's.

My guess was an optional program like that would be maybe $217/month or more above the price of the car. I was a bit high in my estimate based on what Vinfast is quoting:

$169/month and $219/month depending on the car purchased

Battery Subscription | VinFast

· Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,291 Posts
Renault does something like this with the Zoe in Europe. You buy the car, but lease the battery.

· Registered
2,329 Posts
Let’s not overlook the implications of the third paragraph in the opening section:

"Policy: For VinFirst Pioneers who purchase a VF 8 or VF 9 in 2022 or 2023, customers will enjoy permanent subscription rates for the entire life of their vehicle."

· Administrator
23,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Policy: For VinFirst Pioneers who purchase a VF 8 or VF 9 in 2022 or 2023, customers will enjoy permanent subscription rates for the entire life of their vehicle."
Right, they can raise the price at any time for those who buy after 2024.

This is just a forced lay-away plan. My advice (again), take the money and put it into your own interest bearing savings account. If you later sell the car, or don't need all that money for a repair, you get to keep it, not them.

· Registered
116 Posts
I would never lease a battery like this. What happens if, at the end of your lease, the manufacturer decides no longer support your vehicle and doesn't renew your lease?

· Registered
2,329 Posts
I would never lease a battery like this. What happens if, at the end of your lease, the manufacturer decides no longer support your vehicle and doesn't renew your lease?
Not to worry, if you’re planning on keeping the car beyond 7.5 years, you may have an option of paying ~$15K up front and owning the battery, rather than paying ~$2K annually for the life of the car (and I’ve read the warranty says no more than 30% degradation within the warranty period). My 2012 Volt battery is still healthy and within those warranty specs after 10+ years.

Here’s a November 28, 2022, PC Magazine article about VinFast I found on the internet that says:

"Vietnam is set to make its US car debut next month when the first shipment of nearly 1,000 cars made by EV company VinFast arrive on US soil... Customers should receive their vehicles by the end of December. The current shipment contains 999 VF8 models, although VinFast also makes a VF9, which it will begin exporting in 2023... VinFast is looking to differentiate itself from more established auto brands via a unique payment model, which allows for a lower upfront cost for the vehicle, paired with a separate "battery subscription." The VF8 costs $42,200, plus $169/month for the battery. The VF9 goes for $57,500 with a battery subscription of $219/month."

It seems you have a choice, to lease the battery or buy it outright. Edmunds.com reports, "Starting price depends on whether you lease the battery ($42,200) or buy it ($57,000). At $169/month = $2,028 annually for the battery lease.

· Administrator
23,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some are clamoring for something like this battery replacement plan, but for a one-time $3k which I think is very, very unrealistic. $3k one-time and you can get a whole new battery pack at any time during the life of the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts