1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Sweden has fewer miles of paved roads than Texas. This simply won't work in the US but I guarantee at least some of our politicians will try to push this through at some point.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Sweden has fewer miles of paved roads than Texas. This simply won't work in the US but I guarantee at least some of our politicians will try to push this through at some point.
There may be applicability for cross-country interstates.

The article clearly states that this is not intended to take the place of at home or destination charging.

And as crazy as it might sound on the surface (no pun intended), if you don't experiment you never discover breakthroughs.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Just think if they had this on I-70 for 10 miles or so every 100 miles. You get in that special lane for 10 minutes, and that could get you a lot farther before you have to stop for the night and "fill up".

·
Registered
64 Posts
And where this starts to make more sense to me is when we start to talk about shipping and autonomous vehicles. I think it's fair to say that autonomous vehicles would work better on streets designed with them in mind. And while you're making upgrades to infrastructure for them, why not do things like electrify major arteries between cities? That way you can have electric vehicles shipping goods that don't need to set aside a lot of space and capacity to transport the batteries needed to make the whole trip.

Smaller, lesser expensive batteries, lighter weight, shorter charge times, more space available for goods. They'd still have batteries to cover non-electrified portions of their trip.

To me a major plus of electric vehicles is to lower CO2 emissions. But no matter how you generate electricity there's an environmental price to pay, so we should make transportation as efficient as possible whether it's electric or not. Batteries are heavy in an EV and take up a lot of room. They also contain some toxic materials. Better battery technology will help but so will reducing the need for them in the first place. Why have a battery with 200 mile capacity if all you need is 40? If it's possible to have 60 miles of a 100 mile trip be "on the grid", I think that's a good thing to explore.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Seems like this idea might be done via a non-contact charger placed in the same place?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Don't let California's Governor Brown hear about this.

He'll want hydrogen tubes planted in all the freeways.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
$9 billion - they could have gotten half a Ford-class carrier for that. Or maybe 3 or 4 B2s.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
$9 billion - they could have gotten half a Ford-class carrier for that. Or maybe 3 or 4 B2s.
Sweden would be more likely to buy Chinese weapons. They aren't an ally, and we would not trust them with the tech. They were partially aligned with Nazi Germany during WWII.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Sweden would be more likely to buy Chinese weapons. They aren't an ally, and we would not trust them with the tech. They were partially aligned with Nazi Germany during WWII.
Sweden does pretty well making its own weapons, but I was trying to put the money they propose to spend on infrastructure in terms of what the US seems willing to spend on other things. It doesn't seem quite so crazy.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sweden does pretty well making its own weapons, but I was trying to put the money they propose to spend on infrastructure in terms of what the US seems willing to spend on other things. It doesn't seem quite so crazy.
It does if you look at Sweden's GDP. What the US spends on eggs and bacon doesn't change that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts