GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well kids.....pull up your chairs and listen to a story..
Today I went to pick up my new Volt. I was very excited. I was also nervous. You see, it just so happens that a ice/snow storm was headed for the Houston area (very unusual), and I was quite concerned with driving my brand spankin new Volt in with a bunch of drivers that have no clue how to drive in ice/snow conditions.
The 'bad' weather was expected to hit around 3-4 pm, so the plan was to drive the 240miles or so to Bastrop in the morning, pick up the Volt, then drive back and arrive home basically right as the 'bad' weather rolled in.
So...woke up this morning and headed out at about 8am. Drive was ok and got to the dealer at about 11am. The car was not scheduled to be ready till noon, and as planned I spent the hour doing the loan paperwork and having a quick lunch. Came back from lunch, and for the first time, saw my new Volt (see pic)! Very nice! Got in and turned it on and played with a few things, then headed back inside to activate onstar etc. The very nice salesperson locked the volt as we left it.
Everything was wonderful up till this point.... While the saleperson set up onstar, I went to 'pair' my iphone with my new Volt. I hit 'unlock' on the FOB and nothing happened. Tried again....nothing. Went and got the saleperson, asked if I was doing it wrong...he tried....nothing. Tried the second FOB....nothing. Used the 'switchblade' key to get in the Volt, hit the power button, and the display said 'No remote detected'. So after trying everything we could, it became obvious that the FOBS no longer were talking to the Volt!

So...with me looking at my watch and worrying about the incoming weather, he called the service guys. They came over and worked on it for bout 30 minutes. No joy. Then they used the 'over-ride' key slot under the mat in the stowage compartment on the dash to allow the Volt to start, and drove it over to the service department.
An hour and a half later...they came back to me and said 'We dont know whats wrong and we are working with GM folks to fix it'. They offered me a night in a hotel while they fixed it or they would 'get it to me tomorrow'. I basically said I didnt want someone else putting 200+ miles on my new Volt and he said ' oh no...we would put it on a flatbed and deliver it to your driveway.' So..I decided to take that option.

So...my wife and I started the 2:45 min drive home. About an hour into the drive home the dealer called me back to let me know that they had figured out the problem and that it was completely fixed. They plan to delivery it sometime tomorrow.

So...bad news is....I didnt get my Volt today.
Good news is....I didnt have to drive it thru crappy weather AND now it wont have 200 gas miles on it when I get it home.

It sure looked like a nice car in the few minutes I had with it!...LOL

Stilgar

UPDATE: Due to bad ice on the roads in Houston, it looks like I wont get the car today (Friday) either...

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
What a letdown! At least the dealer is doing the right thing and delivering your Volt to you. And you don't have to wait much longer!

Me, on the other hand... *points to signature*

·
Registered
532 Posts
What a letdown! At least the dealer is doing the right thing and delivering your Volt to you. And you don't have to wait much longer!

Me, on the other hand... *points to signature*
I think if he were buying any other car, they would have said "oh well, so sorry, you can come get your car tomorrow" or at best... here's $40 for a hotel room ...see ya in the morning.

OK, but more importantly...what cause the car to stop communicating with the RKE?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, but more importantly...what cause the car to stop communicating with the RKE?
They said there was a specific connector that was 'loose' and that once they re-attached/fixed it, it worked fine.

Stilgar

·
Registered
155 Posts
What dealer did you purchase from? I am 700 miles away from the dealer that I am working with. I would hate for that to happen to anyone. I would be flying to Texas for pickup.
Your car looks great. Probably the color I will go with.

·
Registered
442 Posts
That is the dealership we have our Volt order with and they have the means to deliver the Volt to Houston, Dallas, etc.. at no charge anyway. We will likely drive the 3 hours, do all the paperwork, drive it a few miles around town, then let them flatbed it to our house. Plan subject to change of course.

Paul (Cari's husband)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is the dealership we have our Volt order with and they have the means to deliver the Volt to Houston, Dallas, etc.. at no charge anyway. We will likely drive the 3 hours, do all the paperwork, drive it a few miles around town, then let them flatbed it to our house. Plan subject to change of course.
Covert Chevrolet in Bastrop? They have been wonderful thru the whole thing. Best car buying experience I have ever had.

Stilgar

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Latest update. The car is on the way today! Now I just have to be nervous for the next few hours and hope the ice is thawed enough for a safe drive....

Stilgar

·
Registered
857 Posts
Latest update. The car is on the way today! Now I just have to be nervous for the next few hours and hope the ice is thawed enough for a safe drive....

Stilgar
Good luck. Enjoy your Volt! Please post some pictures, like as its unloaded!

WVhybrid
status - 3400

·
Registered
118 Posts
I found my buying experience with them (for #277) very pleasant as well. I'm glad they treated you nicely, Stilgar, and even more glad that they figured out the problem so that you can get your car (hopefully) today.

Enjoy!
Dan

Covert Chevrolet in Bastrop? They have been wonderful thru the whole thing. Best car buying experience I have ever had.

Stilgar

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I suspect during PDI or Quality Assessment they probably checked for software updates and performed an update on the Body Control Module (BCM) which requires the FOBs to be relearned.
Ooops!
WOT

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOHOO! Volt arrived. Just drove it for the first time. Loved it. There is just something MAJORLY cool about driving around in a really nice car and not using a DROP of gas.
Its snug in garage now, charging away. I will post the requested 'unloading' shots here in awhile.

Stilgar
Im really gonna enjoy this car!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Nice pictures. Glad to see Covert can deliver a car long distance undamaged. Wouldn't surprise me if we have some issue with ours after it is delivered to the dealership that would mean we would need the same service. Might do it even if everything is fine.

Paul (Cari's husband)

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Ok here are some shots. One while 'unloading', and one in the driveway!

#963 is home!

Stilgar
Well I guess after the remote fiasco yesterday, delviering to your door was the least they could do!
Congrats and ENJOY!!
WOT

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Interesting to look at the proportions of the Volt compared to the old car in the other driveway behind it - wheels pushed to the corners, only a tiny hood and the cabin stretches most the length of the vehicle. The Volt is smooth, while the old car is squared and boxy.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hey WV, did you get a TPW yet? I called a Volt Advisor yesterday and got 2/21/2011. My dealer in Amarillo called today just to say hi and give me the same TPW. Expect delivery around the end of March. (That sounds better than April 1st.) :)
Michael

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hey WV, did you get a TPW yet? I called a Volt Advisor yesterday and got 2/21/2011. My dealer in Amarillo called today just to say hi and give me the same TPW. Expect delivery around the end of March. (That sounds better than April 1st.) :)
Michael
Thanks for asking! Looks like you and I are sharing the same TPW - 2/21. I hope to see it delivered about the same time, end of March. Maybe a week earlier if we are lucky.

WVhybrid

1 - 20 of 22 Posts