GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Rear Arm Rest in my 2015 Volt prevents installation of the "Rear Seat Storage/Barrier" GM Part #19243786 from my 2012 Volt.

Can it be modified to fit? If not, is there an alternative for filling the gap between the rear seat backs?

Thanks in advance!!

KNS

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I think someone here posted a way to compress the lower section of the rear barrier such that it could still be installed (just that you can't put much in the barrier's storage pocket). Literally, he just scrunched it up and got it to fit. I just removed mine for the summer (I fold the seats a lot to transport bikes and it's a pain to keep removing/installing). The car is noticeably louder, so that barrier really does something.

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
Some black foam-core board from an arts store with a few dabs of velcro will make a barrier (sans pocket). That's what I used on my 2011 until I got a pouch barrier.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some black foam-core board from an arts store with a few dabs of velcro will make a barrier (sans pocket). That's what I used on my 2011 until I got a pouch barrier.
I thought of that too but figured it might not provide much sound insulation. Did you notice any difference in noise from the storage area for the foam board vs. the storage pouch?

Thanks in advance.

KNS

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think someone here posted a way to compress the lower section of the rear barrier such that it could still be installed (just that you can't put much in the barrier's storage pocket). Literally, he just scrunched it up and got it to fit. I just removed mine for the summer (I fold the seats a lot to transport bikes and it's a pain to keep removing/installing). The car is noticeably louder, so that barrier really does something.
I tried that but found that pressure from the compressed section of the pouch kept forcing the velcro to separate from the seat backs. Thanks for the tip. I will look for that earlier thread to see if it includes a better way to compress the pouch so that it will still remain in place.

EDIT: Found this post. http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?17387-Rear-Seat-Storage-Barrier&p=276777#post276777 Didn't work well for me. Based on other ideas posted in that same thread, I may remove the interfering portion of the pouch and stitch the remainder closed.

KNS

·
Registered
962 Posts
http://voltshelf.weebly.com/

voltshelf etc. great stuff.

Monty
Thanks, monsteroyd and saltsman! I'm here, guys, sorry I missed this earlier. I don't think I specifically mention the availability of the RSP (Rear Seat Panel) separately on my website. I've meant to get this and the Camper Package up for a while, but just haven't had time. And the Website is already too busy and crowded.... All you need to do is shoot me an email at [email protected]. Let me know what you are looking for and the color if you know it. I'll get back to you ASAP. BTW, I do sell the RSP separately for $40, including shipping.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
.. the Camper Package up for a while, but just haven't had time.
Thanks,

Steve
Wow, this could be a cool add on.
Tell us more!!

I have a vision of what this could be, a V-wedge that supports the hatch in a partially open position making it a station wagon back. Kind of like the Nissan Pulsar NX Sportbak.

Maybe it could have screen windows on the side for car camping!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Wow, this could be a cool add on.
Tell us more!!

I have a vision of what this could be, a V-wedge that supports the hatch in a partially open position making it a station wagon back. Kind of like the Nissan Pulsar NX Sportbak.

Maybe it could have screen windows on the side for car camping!
Now, don't get carried away, Norton! The camping package was initiated by a member here that sleeps in the back of his Volt occasionally. Saltsman, if I recall. He states that he loves to camp. I chose to believe this rather than his Volt being a more desirable option than the couch when things go bad at home.....

The camping package consists of a VoltShelf, 2 RSPs, and a VoltT. This allows you to lower the rear seats and create a flat floor though the entire rear of the car to stretch out in. The RSPs are placed on milk crates in the foot well to fill that area. The VoltT covers the rear console. Presto, a sleeping arrangement. And the best part is that if you leave your VoltShelf up, you can eat breakfast on it in the morning!!

Steve

·
Registered
305 Posts
At my car stereo shop, I just routered out a 1/4" ABS black plastic panel from scrap, covered in matching-ish black carpet, and left two places uncarpeted for the Velcro loops and boom, bang, zang... I had me a sweet divider thingy (no storage pocket but whatevs).

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At my car stereo shop, I just routered out a 1/4" ABS black plastic panel from scrap, covered in matching-ish black carpet, and left two places uncarpeted for the Velcro loops and boom, bang, zang... I had me a sweet divider thingy (no storage pocket but whatevs).
Please, when time permits, a photo or two would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

KNS

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Now, don't get carried away, Norton! The camping package was initiated by a member here that sleeps in the back of his Volt occasionally. Saltsman, if I recall. He states that he loves to camp. I chose to believe this rather than his Volt being a more desirable option than the couch when things go bad at home.....

The camping package consists of a VoltShelf, 2 RSPs, and a VoltT. This allows you to lower the rear seats and create a flat floor though the entire rear of the car to stretch out in. The RSPs are placed on milk crates in the foot well to fill that area. The VoltT covers the rear console. Presto, a sleeping arrangement. And the best part is that if you leave your VoltShelf up, you can eat breakfast on it in the morning!!

Steve
Along the lines of his ideas, though, perhaps you could make a different kind of voltscreen. Say you go camping and leave the hatch open. A custom fit screen to keep bugs out, lined with magnets all around the perimeter. You attach to the top of the open hatch and the side of the car all around. Voilà!
Easy access, too.
They make this kind of product for stationary (rectangle) doors, but why not this application? Pretty easy DIY, too if you bought a couple of those house-door kits.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts