GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that love the look of the Concept Chevy Volt they are already preparing themselves to be disappointed. We already know some of the styling cues of the concept won't make it into the production vehicle.

Concept:

I've taken the liberty of re-styling the concept to what I think the production vehicle might look like.

I have enlarged the headlights, made the front vents smaller. Reduced the size of the wheels, increased the aspect ratio of the tires. Increased the size of the side mirrors, smoothed out the body lines on the side, eliminated the clear windows in the doors, raised the roof line, reduced the stagger in the rear wheels, smoothed out the rear and enlarged the rear taillights.

Possible Concept:

Comments??

·
1,101 Posts
Not bad, but I don't think it will even be close to the production Volt.

A while back, GM released a view of the front quarter of the car, and that blunt nose looks like it was almost gone. If you look back on some of Lyle's posts on the home page, you will find it.

A real picture of the final design is what I am really looking forward to seeing!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was trying to be gentle

True the real Production Volt may look very different, but I hope not. It would be very disappointing if the final car lost all of the styling cues of the concept. I changed the features that I felt would not survive based on viewing before and after pics of concept versus reality.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been waiting for a pic of the final desing to leak onto the internet myself. I know there were some big changes to improve aero, but I hope the car still looks as cool as the concept. The look of the Prius makes me ill :confused:

Chris

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice work jscott. Those changes were subtle and I am very impressed. The car has to have a distinctive look and that was preserved in your alterations. When the final version comes out I'm sure we will look at it and say, yep, that's a Volt alright. Somehow the image has been cast and will stick in our minds. How do those guys do it? I'm not one to judge good looks but know when I see something that looks good to me. The Volt will look good to me I'm sure. I just hope it will be aerodynamic.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Final look of the Volt

Looks like the Volt won't have the transparent roof either.
I'm kind of glad about this, the see-through roof makes it look like a fish bowl.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How about a two-door?

Wouldn't an introductory two-door sports car concept reduce weight and cost and appeal to the "big market" age 16 -25 consumer? Think Mustang introduction way back when.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Design Proposals

The initial design of the Volt said WOW! I wouldn't want a Volt which didn't look sexy. The Volt should not be a Prius "wannabe". GM needs to send a clear message to the foreign competition that its electric cars will have advanced styling superior to any of their products. An affordable electric car will bring buyers to the dealerships. Sexy styling will sell the cars once they're in the dealerships. The quickest way to kill sales is to offer a car which looks like Homer Simpson designed it. GM needs to take some styling cues from Tesla Motors of California. We don't want a Cobalt clone either.;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I for one, hope they keep the futuristic lines on the Volt. The concept was a head turner and I think that is going to be very important if the car is going to achieve broad appeal.

I think the person you are trying to get with this car, isn't the hyper green Prius or smart car. Your getting the guy that still wants a sports car, but doesn't want to spend $100 a week on gas. It's about winning for the enviroment, without looking like you gave up your balls to do it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think the person you are trying to get with this car, isn't the hyper green Prius or smart car. Your getting the guy that still wants a sports car, but doesn't want to spend $100 a week on gas. It's about winning for the enviroment, without looking like you gave up your balls to do it.
I think you just described me to a T.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
That's my feeling too. To captivate a large audience and really make a difference on oil consumption and environmental issues, this car has to be as far from the "green eco-bubble" car as possible without sacrificing the core performance goals. Unfortunately, after talking to the designers at the Volt Nation event, prepare yourself for some of the cool muscular styling features of the concept to go away to facilitate better aerodynamics. They wouldn't be specific, but they did say that it would look less Camaro like yet still be recognizable as a Volt.

What I really want is a little electric Solstice GXP!

·
Registered
35 Posts
For me the looks of this car are probably almost as important as the environmental aspects. I would sacrifice some EV range for the more muscular stylings, even if it doesn't go as far on all electric it is still better than every other car on the road(For the time being).
Plus making it look really cool will help sell more, getting more EVs on the road.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Exterior Design Guess

Here is a recent interview with Bob Lutz that talks about the design changes. It appears that the rear of the vehicle is close to the concept car, but the front will be quite different.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f67/gm-confirms-e-flex-volt-australia-plus-local-toyota-camry-hybrid-way-62474/

I anticipate that the long hood will be shortened and the cabin may be somewhat longer. I think flush headlights and other aerodynamic mods will be made. I'm afraid it may look more like a Prius than most of us would want.

Also in the article, Bob states that the first Volts will go to California, then maybe Washington, DC, followed by Florida.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great thread! here's my take

Great work JScott!

I've got some updated images that were created after all of the information came out of the media tour last week. These renderings offer a realistic interpretation of changes that have been made to the concept vehicle to balance design with acceptable aerodynamic performance.

The images are here: petrozero.org

Scroll down to the second post...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I found this a while ago, looks in the ballpark....

Chris
Nope. The tape car images clearly show no fender flares, no sculpted sides, no fender ridges and much smaller wheels. Pretty much just a rounded jelly bean nose and slab sides with a high rear deck lid. The sculpted image above seems to be mostly what we're not getting. All the features that made the original concept stand out and grab your attention is what creates drag in the wind tunnel.:(

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nope. The tape car images clearly show no fender flares, no sculpted sides, no fender ridges and much smaller wheels. Pretty much just a rounded jelly bean nose and slab sides with a high rear deck lid. The sculpted image above seems to be mostly what we're not getting. All the features that made the original concept stand out and grab your attention is what creates drag in the wind tunnel.:(
The more I look at the taped up model, the more it looks like a Camry with a slightly mroe rounded front.

DOH!!!...... :p

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ouch! My eyes, my eyes... It burn into. I'm going to have to go wash the image of Toyota Echo out of my brain.:eek: You really have to post that picture.:( I'm going to have to wear a blind fold :cool:to check out the news post. Darn, that not going to work.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts