GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove from Miami to New York on 80% electric... Third trip, each time more and more electric, with more chargers being added will soon be reasonable to do all electric (is possible now but I do not have unlimited time). If you live on the US East Coast check on plugshare.com, I may pass by your city. Every time I travel, I use a different path and end up adding stations and updating or improving existing station entries. Added 14 new L2 stations and numerous L1 outlets for hotel, food or emergency stops; plus the dozens of updates on existing station entries should help my fellow EV travelers.

Some great scenic drives are now possible on pure electric (thus possible and safe for Sparks and Leafs) that I have explored. NYC to Vermont or Western Mass via Albany, Albany to Binghamton, All the way along Florida's East Coast, across Central Florida via Orlando to Tampa and along the FL west coast from Tampa to Naples.

By the end of June planning to have 'full coverage' (have visited and verified all L1 and L2 stations - excluding forced valet, pay to park sites or accessible only via toll road) for of all FL East Coast counties, GA coastal counties and Eastern Upstate NY south of the Adirondaks. Partial coverage (50% visited and verified) in to parts of New England and between NY and FL.

Have seen the most scenic views and had fun 'charger tracking and hunting'. Hope you all enjoy the fruits of my 'labours'.

Depending on my work may be able to get full coverage for FL by the end of Sept. and partial coverage on two or more corridors to the Pacific Ocean.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Please discuss with specifics. I cannot see how it would not be maddeningly slow to utilize so much electricity in the Volt that only has 3.3 kw recharge capacity. Driving 45 miles...and then 4 hours charging...and then 45 miles (repeat)??? Heck, I drive 100 miles to my daughter and that is less than half electric. I understand that you appear to be journeying slower, but lack of fast charging (and a relatively small battery) seems to be a killer. I drive between my NY/FL homes in two days with the Volt, but so little of that, by percentage, is battery, that I am just not seeing how an 80% electric trip is reasonable.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
We are all about details. Some some would be great, plus are you registered on VoltStats?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
It's 424 miles to my brother's place, it would take around 42 hours to get there using EV, with the Volt. It takes 8 hours using the ICE and what's in the battery. :eek:
I could do it with a Tesla, but that's about it.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know. You've done this trip three times in your 2013 Volt. Did each trip take 9 months?

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
If you are a golfer, this would be a fantastic situation.

Drive the 40 miles, park at a course and plug in, play the course, drive to nearby course within 40 miles, do it again a 2nd time, then end the day driving to a hotel allowing plugging in. You could do about 1000 miles in 9-10 days. Using campgrounds, even more options.

Thers is a book called Blue Fairways which I have read (below) that is from a guy who played dozens of courses all throughout the I-95 east coast corridore.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Fairways-Months-Courses-Mulligans/dp/0805059938/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1430092814&sr=8-10&keywords=Golf+travel+books+fairways

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Took 8.5 days one way this time. Also doing a sort of charger hunt and cover all chargers in selected areas (FL East Coast, Coastal GA and Eastern Upstate NY). Between SC and NJ did a super efficient stop at chargers to eat, sleep for 4 hours, not cover all strategy.

This is more of EV driving challenge, than a practical sort of thing for most people.

Developed the idea from 'peak bagging', my brother loves climbing and hiking so a type of climbing hobby is climbing every peak in a state over a certain altitude in an entire state. I love driving and the challenge of going all electric so worked out a 'charger bagging' challenge and related charger distance with more mapped out chargers in coverage areas the easier it is to do full electric distance runs.

When maximum electric distance running I do everything except shower (need truck stops for that) at chargers and map out or improve listings for chargers. With coverage I visit and verify and update listings all chargers in a given county. Two different strategies but fun exploration with a useful outcome.

Yeah sort of a crazy hobby, like peak bagging, but it has a great byproduct for the EV community: more charger info when you leave your home area.

Over three round trips FL to NY and weekend trips developed 'full coverage' and 'partial coverage' areas

Will have full coverage of sections of NY, GA and FL and partial coverage between them by the end of June. Will make travelling with greater percent electric easier for all.

With coverage after you complete a county, new chargers are installed or discovered since you have been there so they get 'stale' so you have go back and verify new ones to get back up to 100%

* = stale

So far completed:

FL - Monroe*, Miami-Dade*, Broward*, Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie*, Indian River, Brevard, Volusa (exc inland area), Flagler, St. Johns, Nassau, and Collier... so by the end June will get Duval, inland Volusa, Hendry and get the 'stale' counties up to 100%

GA - Camden*

NY - Warren, Washington, Rensselaer, Columbia*, Greene, Albany, Schnectady, Saratoga, Fulton, Montgomery, Schoharie, Delaware, Otsego, and Broome

So far Partial Coverage:

FL - see above

GA - Glynn, Macintosh, Liberty, Bryan, Chatham

SC - Jasper, Beaufort, Darlington

NY - Dutchess, Putnam, Westchester

So the point is... check plugshare if you live or travel through affected areas... I doubled the number of listings in several counties and improved hundreds of existing listings...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If you are a golfer, this would be a fantastic situation.

Drive the 40 miles, park at a course and plug in, play the course, drive to nearby course within 40 miles, do it again a 2nd time, then end the day driving to a hotel allowing plugging in. You could do about 1000 miles in 9-10 days. Using campgrounds, even more options.

Thers is a book called Blue Fairways which I have read (below) that is from a guy who played dozens of courses all throughout the I-95 east coast corridore.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Fairways-Months-Courses-Mulligans/dp/0805059938/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1430092814&sr=8-10&keywords=Golf+travel+books+fairways
- Not a golfer but do photography (hobby, not professional) so spending three hours at charger walking distance from a scenic or historical area is a joy and I am always discovering new places this way. There is a free charger in Lake George, NY with stunning views and historical sites very close I visited covering Warren County - highly recommended! St. Augustine, FL (the first European settlement in the US) was fantastic too, always just drove by on I-95 but the hunt for chargers yields greater treasures sometimes than just some free fuel.

PGA National has multiple chargers... worth a visit even if you are not an avid golfer... Beautiful and interesting place.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Please discuss with specifics. I cannot see how it would not be maddeningly slow to utilize so much electricity in the Volt that only has 3.3 kw recharge capacity. Driving 45 miles...and then 4 hours charging...and then 45 miles (repeat)??? Heck, I drive 100 miles to my daughter and that is less than half electric. I understand that you appear to be journeying slower, but lack of fast charging (and a relatively small battery) seems to be a killer. I drive between my NY/FL homes in two days with the Volt, but so little of that, by percentage, is battery, that I am just not seeing how an 80% electric trip is reasonable.
- I do EVERYTHING at L2s... Eat, sleep, work and play on internet, restroom, breaks (sleep only 3 hours at each charger). My long distance run method is not for those in a hurry, but now the whole EV community will find more places that are EV friendly for eating, staying etc. So you benefit. For me if the car is not moving it is plugged in... Writing this at Windham Mountain charger. Worth a visit for the views and am fueling up at my favourite price, FREE!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Notes

Long distance run: the emphasis is maximizing electric miles.

Coverage exploration: you burn lots of dead dinosaur juice, the emphasis is different, your Volt is blazing a path finding new chargers and validating and improving existing listings... hence the original thread title. Not advisable to try in a Leaf.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
An interesting project in a kind of 'Slow down and smell the roses.' way. Not practical, as you admit, especially with a Volt, but not everything has to be practical.

I have to ask: What's a Mera?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An interesting project in a kind of 'Slow down and smell the roses.' way. Not practical, as you admit, especially with a Volt, but not everything has to be practical.

I have to ask: What's a Mera?
- Mera is a limited edition conversion car (mine is an Alaris - the guts is a Ford Probe GT) Looks super cool but cruddy ICE - kept these to last ICE cars in the hope of electric conversion some day.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New Coverage Area Info:

Visited public L2 and L1 charging sites listed on plugshare.com excluding sites in toll road only accessible areas, pay to park garages, forced valet, campgrounds or Shore Power ripoff pay for L1 outlets sites.

With coverage after you complete a county, new chargers are installed or discovered since you have been there so they get 'stale' so you have go back and verify new ones to get back up to 100%

*# = stale - number of charging sites added since last sweep

So far completed:

FL - Monroe *2, Miami-Dade *2, Broward *1, Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, Indian River *2, Brevard, Volusa, Flagler, St. Johns, Duval *2, and Collier, Hendry, Glades, Hardee, Highland, Okeechobee and Putnam
GA - Camden, Macintosh, Liberty, Bryan, and Chatham *2
SC, NC - I 95 Corridor
NY - Clinton, Essex, Warren *1, Washington, Rensselaer, Columbia, Dutchess, Putnam, Greene, Albany, Schnectady, Saratoga, Fulton, Montgomery, Schoharie, Delaware, Otsego, Oneida *1, Madison, Chenango and Broome

So far Partial (80 – 40%) Coverage:

FL – Nassau, Lee, Sarasota, Manatee
GA - Glynn
VA – I 95 corridor
State of Delaware
NY – Franklin, Herkimer, Ulster, Rockland, Westchester

Minimal Coverage:
ON, QC, VT, MA, CT, RI, NYC, NJ, PA, MD, DC

Planned for Future Full Coverage:

Partial coverage areas plus:

FL – Phase I - Charlotte, Desoto Phase II – Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, Hernando, Citrus, Sumter
NY – Orange, Sullivan, St Lawrence, Jefferson, Lewis, Oswego

No recent pure electric long distance runs... busy charger hunting and county bagging to make it possible.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wonder if Volt Gen 2 will be CCS compatible? Stating to see these at the Level 3 DCFC charging stations.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I loved long-distance drives in my Volt. I think even as long-range BEVs start to come out, the case for Volt will always be very compelling to a lot of people. My work-commute was about 30,000 all-electric miles total, while my trips out of town were always stress-free and easy.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Wonder if Volt Gen 2 will be CCS compatible? Stating to see these at the Level 3 DCFC charging stations.
Incredibly unlikely since it's an added-cost option on the Spark EV. Would be nice though, at max CCS power (100kW), you could recharge the Volt in about 7 minutes (assuming the car would allow full-rate charging), and even at the slower 25kW chargers it would take a max of about 30 minutes. Since it never charges above about 80%, you'd get very little charge taper at the top of the charge.

The 100kW rate is comparable to Tesla Superchargers at a max of 120kW. (The newest superchargers go to 135kW, but only when split between two cars.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts