GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I been working with a screen protector vendor (Tuffprotect.com) to get the perfect cut for the 2016/2017 Chevy Volt 8" touch screen. I actually sent them the plastic screen protector on the 8" touch screen that came from the factory and they were able to use that as a template to make new screen protectors. They sell both anti-glare and clear version. I opted for the clear version.

The reason why I got the screen protector is because I am afraid of the harsh chemical that some car washes use and to prevent accidental scratches from my clumsy self when cleaning my Volt.

Since I have OCD, I actually had to throw away 1 of the 2 screen protectors included because there were a few dusts behind the screen protector after installation. To avoid this, do the following:

1) Install from the passenger side so the steering wheel is not in the way
2) Close all doors and windows so dust does not fly in
3) Spray the screen protector on the adhesive sheet, both sides with water to get rid of all the dust currently on it
4) Wash your hands before installation to ensure no oil gets behind the screen protector
5) Have a credit card and a microfiber towel designed to wipe the screen with (I used the one that came with my iMac). Wrap the cloth around the credit card to smooth out any bubbles, use gentle force when necessary.
6) Clean your 8" touch screen with water and wipe it dry.
7) Have a piece of scotch tape ready in case dust appears as you install the screen protector.
8) Install the screen protector from one end to the other while removing any dust that gets behind it with the scotch tape.

See attached picture for result!

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You can buy them for $16 with free shipping on ebay from their ebay store: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tuff-Protect-Clear-Screen-Protectors-for-2016-Chevrolet-Volt-/151994200573?hash=item23638f71fd:g:65kAAOxyF0pTjIw-&vxp=mtr Each order comes with two screen protectors.

anti-glare version: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tuff-Protect-Anti-glare-Screen-Protectors-for-2016-Chevrolet-Volt-/152059815088?hash=item236778a4b0:g:LVMAAMXQyY1TT-qo&vxp=mtr

Not sure what you meant by if they are small, they fit perfectly around the whole screen including the black borders around the 8" touch screen. The screen protector does not effect the responsiveness and feels smooth to the touch. This is for the clear version, I have not tested their anti-glare version.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for posting this information. In comparison, I installed a Lexerd screen protector from Amazon. It has a 1/4" gap on the top half between the protector edge and the edge of the screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I have ZAGG screen protectors on our iPhone's and we love them. They actually seem to improve the look and swipe action of the screen and are so easy to keep clean. Are these similar? Glass vs Vinyl?

·
Registered
968 Posts
The screen protector does not effect the responsiveness and feels smooth to the touch. This is for the clear version, I have not tested their anti-glare version.

Hope this helps!
Glad you mentioned it. Ive had my G2 volt almost a year now without a s scratch but the first minor one i get then I'll add this. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought the anti glare version. It fits my 2017 perfectly and seems to reduce the static dust magnet tendency of the display. It helps a bit with the glare without changing the view but in direct sun nothing other than an extended shade hood would do much good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts