GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've added the rims, the window tint, the Black painted top and the sunroof. Not to mention the all weather Volt floor mat package...a necessity in Seattle. Highest e-mileage in a day = 53.

Attachments

·
Registered
652 Posts
Looks really great! Now if you just had some sun.:)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well done. I miss not having a sunroof. How large is the opening when its fully back? There's not much space between the overhead switches inside and the roof antenna.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sunroof stylin'

Well done. I miss not having a sunroof. How large is the opening when its fully back? There's not much space between the overhead switches inside and the roof antenna.
The opening is only about 10 inches so you can't climb out but it lets in fresh air, reduces the ear pounding air from having the rear windows open and lets in lots of light :) I totally recommend getting one. Get it installed by a certified installer only! We have only one in Seattle ( Tukwilla ) and even they claimed ( as did the dealer ) that it could not be done. I showed them the earlier photos in this Forum and them call the manufacturer. Sure enough, they had a special webpage set up with step by step instructions for installation :) $1000 bucks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sweet! My Honda Civic had a sunroof and I loved to open it on those beautiful summer evenings in the Seattle area. May have to look into one for my Volt one of these days. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Great looking Volt, the creativity of Volt owners is amazing. Who make those wheels and are they OEM sized?.

Still don't know why a sun roof is an option on a Volt.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I showed them the earlier photos in this Forum and them call the manufacturer. Sure enough, they had a special webpage set up with step by step instructions for installation :) $1000 bucks
Manufacturer name and link, pretty please?

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
439 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
does the sunroof help out a lot with being able to drive with all 4 windows down on the freeway? I am NOT a windows closed person.. the only annoyance with my volt is lack of a sunroof and that pounding sound when all 4 windows are down...

I really like the look of your roof.. and having come from Jeep wranglers,dad's GTO ragtop, etc over the years I really miss seeing the sky when I drive.. this is first car ive owned in probably 15 years that didnt have some type of roof opening..
-Christopher

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The pounding is an issue

Hi Christopher, I've owned more cars than I can remember and never have I had an issue with the wind pounding my eardrums out like I have in my Volt! My dog rides in the back and has to have at least one window down. It requires lots of trial and error to get all the windows in the correct position to avoid or minimize the pound. On top of that, the pounding changes as the speed changes. All that being said, the sunroof helps immensely to alleviate the pounding. The last car I was driving that made as much pounding noise was a 2012 Cadilac CTS. I guess GM figures we all drive with the windows up and the A/C on. I cannot imagine that anyone EVER test drove the Volt with the windows down. This is, IMOP, a major design flaw. Get the roof, enjoy the sun!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hi Christopher, I've owned more cars than I can remember and never have I had an issue with the wind pounding my eardrums out like I have in my Volt! My dog rides in the back and has to have at least one window down. It requires lots of trial and error to get all the windows in the correct position to avoid or minimize the pound. On top of that, the pounding changes as the speed changes. All that being said, the sunroof helps immensely to alleviate the pounding. The last car I was driving that made as much pounding noise was a 2012 Cadilac CTS. I guess GM figures we all drive with the windows up and the A/C on. I cannot imagine that anyone EVER test drove the Volt with the windows down. This is, IMOP, a major design flaw. Get the roof, enjoy the sun!
seems a lot of new cars pound with windows down.. i rented a focus wagon last year on a trip and it did it on a trip to florida.. my 2012 civic I had did it some.. but since it had such a crappy A/C I had to drive windows up to stay cool on hot days.. (usu I just hammer the A/C with windows down to stay cool.. and volt does a wonderful job of still pumpig the cold air when widows are down)...

but them take a drive on the freeway some day.. even a nice sunny 80 degree day and notice how many cars have the windows down.. heck even most of the jeep wranglers around here have the top up and windows closed... only thing with open windows seem to be the OLD work trucks.. (probably no A/C or its busted).. the POS beaters. (busted A/C).. and the occasional convertible or driver enjoying the sun. but 99% of people these days never open a window except to snag their starbucks from the drive thru...

granted for the middle of the day today I closed my windows as it was 96 out with a dewpoint of 75 and I had just finished a 5 mile walk.. then we had wicked storms.. and now the next 7 days are to be sunny and 80s to 90.. !
-Christopher

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for posting the info. I contacted one of the dealer/installers here in AZ and will have my sunroof added towards the end of Sept. Price here is $1000.00. That includes the install. For you AZ people here is the link to the website: http://www.sunroofetc.com

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was just checking out how many Seattle Volters might be here and found this thread. Nice install!

Do you have any efficiency numbers on when you drive with your cloudroof open vs. closed?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Richard--you're still a celebrity in Voltland with your sunroof! How's it going? Can we finally get together? Maybe with Laurice & Michael?
-Pete Holmes

·
Registered
2013 Diamond White
379 Posts
Just sensational. Well done.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just realized now that while I was replacing the sunroof motor in my Mercedes E55 AMG that the components are also made by this same company, Webasto. So if its good enough for Mercedes to use as OE then should be fine for a Volt.

Any pics of the interior now with a roof installed in the Volt.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts