GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Morning- July 18, 2012

Curt Miner- Chevy Trainer was at Sundance this morning-

Reminds me of moving from Windows 98 to Windows ME so many years ago-

Let's start with 120V AnyWhere Charging for this Volt Thread.

Warning, Major Changes over MY2011/My2012-

The 120V Charge Cord- Volt 120V Charging-

1) This is the third rendering of the Chevrolet Volt Charge Cord.

2) As you can see it the picture below it is different looking then the previous releases.

https://p.twimg.com/Ax-c3IsCMAArVUI.jpg:large

a) You are looking at the front of the Charge Cord. Only two indicators are present. Green Glow if good plug, Red Glow if bad outlet.

b) This new Charge Cord is about a foot longer, now totaling 24'.

c) The Charge Cord will mount to the wall without the need for a seperate bracket. Similar to hanging a wall clock.

d) The new Charge Cord NO LONGER features the Flashlight-

e) The 12A Vs 8A switch has been moved to the inside of the Volt. ( More on this in a minute- )

f) The entire Charge Cord is now black. The orange cord is gone. The Volt side plug has a new look as well.

https://p.twimg.com/Ax-peOXCQAATEGH.jpg:large

3 ) READY-

Now on the Center Stack you will find the button for 12Amp or 8Amp charging.

https://p.twimg.com/Ax-e6BzCQAAiD1C.jpg:large

--- --- By Default, all 120V Charging is now 8Amp.
Let me repeat- By Default, all 120V Charging is now
8Amp.

You can set the charging peramaters to 12Amp but you must do this each time as the Volt resets the charging Amp Rate to 8Amp every time the vehicle is shifted out of park!

4 ) To Change Charging level from 8Amp to 12Amp-

a) Press Leaf Button-
b) Select Charge Tab-
c) Select Change Charge Level-
d) Select Charge Level-

........................................................More to follow.......

·
Registered
252 Posts
That's too bad; I think the flashlight is a handy addition to the EVSE. This was probably done to cut costs, I would guess.

8Amp.
You can set the charging peramaters to 12Amp but you must do this each time as the Volt resets the charging Amp Rate to 8Amp every time the vehicle is shifted out of park!
This just seems dumb to me. Most people will want to charge at 12 amps, so having to reset it every time you charge will be a pain in the neck.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
This Morning- July 18, 2012

8Amp.

4 ) To Change Charging level from 8Amp to 12Amp-

a) Press Leaf Button-
b) Select Charge Tab-
c) Select Change Charge Level-
d) Select Charge Level-

........................................................More to follow.......
What??? You have to reset it to 12A every time? That has to be the dumbest thing I have seen GM do with the Volt so far to date. That is not good. I hope your missing something or a setting that allows to set 12A as default.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think the 8A default is smart of GM given that people clearly don't pay as much attention to safety protocol as the warnings suggest.

This covers GM's ass against people using cheap extension cords, plug splitters, ancient outlets, etc.. It's extra insulation from liability. Those of us who know the difference between 8 and 12A have the ability to enable it.

I primarily charge at 8A and it still allows for an overnight charge on all but the rarest occasions.

-Drew

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
b) This new Charge Cord is about a foot longer, now totaling 24'.

c) The Charge Cord will mount to the wall without the need for a seperate bracket. Similar to hanging a wall clock.

8Amp.

B and C, Good
D Not good
8 amp unchangeable default? Awful.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I think the 8A default is smart of GM given that people clearly don't pay as much attention to safety protocol as the warnings suggest.

This covers GM's ass against people using cheap extension cords, plug splitters, ancient outlets, etc.. It's extra insulation from liability. Those of us who know the difference between 8 and 12A have the ability to enable it.

I primarily charge at 8A and it still allows for an overnight charge on all but the rarest occasions.

-Drew
I see your point in having it default to 8A from the factory, but there should be a setting to change it to 12A default.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yeah I'd like a setting to lock it at 12A as well though maybe it can be done at the dealer.

Regardless this will virtually eliminate the words "Volt" and "fire" from appearing next to each other on a CNN headline.

This was a smart move in my opinion and it's GM nudging buyers towards a proper 240V EVSE if they plan to use this car in excess of 8A charging timeframes.

FWIW, the Mitsubishi iMiev also charges at 8A from the portable EVSE, with no way to change to 12A.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Steverino. +1111

·
Registered
355 Posts
Oh wow. I missed the part where you have to set it every time! When I read it's the default I just assumed you can change it in the preferences. Didn't read the next line. How long does it take to charge at 8A vs 12?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Sounds like, unless you have a MY2013; you might as well be dreamin' of a 32Kwh battery pack with a 60mpg ICE extended range engine.........that's where I'm coming from.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I agree that defaulting to 8amp charge mode after every start is a bad move, one of those occasional GM WTFs. The only kind of press that can generate is bad press.

However, I like the idea of being able to ramp down the charge level under the car's control, and especially if it could be done via MyVolt.com and the OnStar app. I say this because I had the dilemma today of charging my car when I came home from a business trip in the early afternoon. I knew we'd probably take the car to dinner tonight, but it was also a 100 degree humid day and I felt like charging the car was putting an even bigger strain on the local grid and transformers. So, kind to the grid, or kind to the earth? I eventually compromised with myself and plugged it in my 240V for only about 90 minutes, nearly half charging it, then unplugged it. I would have liked to had the option, which it seems the 2013 Volt still doesn't have, of ramping down the charge rate from the 240V charger. Sure I could have dug out the 120V charger, but I guess in the heat and all I really wasn't feeling that ambitious. Thankfully it all worked out, and the power stayed on around here.

I also have to wonder why the remote control app and website don't let you stop charging, the way they let you start charging.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Seems to me that defaulting to 8A on the 120V EVSE is GM's way of encouraging owners to move to the 240V EVSE. They now probably understand how crappy the electrical systems in consumers homes really is now-a-days. Between less than sterling electrical contractors and homeowner creativity they are facing a large unknown electrical interface. Uneducated DIYers will usually stay away from 240V systems, but feel a little more comfortable with 120V.

VIN # B0985

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
I see your point in having it default to 8A from the factory, but there should be a setting to change it to 12A default.
They had to go with the percentages I think.

a) Opportunity chargers will be charging all over the place (lunch, taking kids somewhere, hotel back lot, errands, etc). All these places may have old/suspect/overloaded circuits. When I did this at a hotel rear parking lot a few weeks back I put the charger on 8amp because I had NO idea what else was on that circuit or how old it was or how great it was wire. I did not want it to overheat/flip a breaker/etc. I wanted to come out in the morning and be sure my car was charged (or mainly : 14+ hrs to charge on 8amp?).

b) As well the percentages say most owners will have a 240 charger at home.

Obviously if you are in the lower percentages of folks and you drain your battery most days and you charge on 120v THEN it will be an inconvenience for you to switch it manually. OK it would be annoying and I'd buy a 240v "charger". 5 out of 7 days tho I could charge on 8amp (time enough for charging and SOC level pulling into the garage)

Still you have to appreciate their reasoning and going with the percentages to be safe and foolproof (avoid popped circuit breaker). Remember this car is for the masses and that is not generally the folks on this board/forum.

·
Registered
133 Posts
WTF GM... trickle charging the Volt!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
B and C, Good
D Not good
8 amp unchangeable default? Awful.
Yup. I loved the light and having to reset to 12A every time you charged would be such an inconvenience. This really is one of those times when you wonder how they could mess up the design so badly.

·
Registered
211 Posts
so right ...many car owners dont care about the proper care of cords and dont understand that they need to be careful with highr Amp etc .. they all want to charge fast .but GM need to be careful about the idiocity of many users..

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Odd that GM would cowtow to risk managers for the 8A default 120V charging (understandable IMO) but not consider the risks of a black cord over the orange.

I do like eliminating the choice of amperage from the EVSE as this saves cost as well as increases the reliability of the EVSE.

Eliminating the light from the handle is a bad idea unless they added lighting to the Car's plugin area.

They should create location defaults for charging that can be stored and use the cars location services to determine where the car is located to select the default (e.g. Home- 9:00pm charge and 12A for 120V, Work- immediate charge and 8A for 120V). The default location setup would be 8A. This would satisfy the risk managers and not inconvenience the Volt owners.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I say this because I had the dilemma today of charging my car when I came home from a business trip in the early afternoon. I knew we'd probably take the car to dinner tonight, but it was also a 100 degree humid day and I felt like charging the car was putting an even bigger strain on the local grid and transformers.
Huh? strain on the grid? Don't worry. Were you running AC in the home? AC takes a ton more power than your tiny Volt. So don't worry, be happy! Plug in your volt at 120 or 240 and just drive!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You are correct. Smart move by engineers who understand the realities of the people who love to sue when the user makes a mistake but makes GM responsible for their mistakes in choosing 12A when the default 8A would have been safer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts