GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have to say that I resisted the idea of getting a voltshelf for the entire time I owned my CPO 2011 Volt. I found the factory supplied cloth cargo cover to be "functional" at hiding things in the hatch area from people outside the vehicle looking in. What I did not like was having to either slide items under the cloth cover, or unhook it to get it out of the way to put stuff in the cargo area. Simply put, it is a functional pain in the butt!

So, for my 2016 Volt I went ahead and ordered the g2.1 volt shelf today, and while I am at it I ordered the voltscreen and voltmat!

This all started when I decided to tint the car :) You do one modification and it is like popping the top on a Pringles can.

All things I am doing:

35% tint front and rear windows and the top of the windshield.
35% tint on rear hatch glass up to the "dot matrix" crap at the top portion of the hatch. Tint will not stick well to the dot matrix crap.
Black vinyl wrap material on outside of hatch glass over the dot matrix portion.
Voltshelf g2.1 with no drill mount system
Voltmat
Voltscreen
Factory donut spar tire with wheel, hold down, jack, cover, and lug wrench.

Not sure if I will do anything else to the car.

Keith

·
Registered
568 Posts
I had drop in Huksy All weather mats ready to go at my house when I too delivery of my 2017, I have a Lloyds mats rear cargo mat on the way as I type this as well. (I liked the flexibility of the lloyds for the rear in case I need to access the under stoarge, the huksy was more rigid)

I want to do tint -- but will probably wait till next spring just because I'll probably have to spend 400 dollars on eye glasses here soon.

Every time I buy a new car I tell myself "dont' buy accessories for it till you have it mostly paid off" and I have yet to keep that promise to myself because I get so excited lol

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
The guy that tinted my windows on both of my Gen I Volt's and 2014 Stingray installed a solid black vinyl piece over the "DOT's". Says its a special product made for that and molds around all the DOT's and glass. No bubbles, peeling etc. From outside it looks like black paint. That is the way to tint a rear window/hatch glass.

I will investigate the new shelf as I start my mods.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm waiting for my $2000 rebate check from PA, and then I'll be right behind you with the window tint. That dot matrix portion on the rear hatch already had me scratching my head as I knew it would be a PITA to get right. I'd love to see some pics of what that vinyl wrap looks like once its all done. I'm also considering having the front of the car wrapped in clear 3M vinyl. I commute about 30k miles a year of mostly highway, and every other car I've owned has had the paint destroyed by road debris being kicked up. I'd like to keep the Volt looking nice as I'm hoping it lasts a LONG time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You may want to install LEDs where practical. There is a thread about this. I easily replaced incandescent brake lights, license plate lights and cargo dome light and was pleased with the result.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I had drop in Huksy All weather mats ready to go at my house when I too delivery of my 2017, I have a Lloyds mats rear cargo mat on the way as I type this as well. (I liked the flexibility of the lloyds for the rear in case I need to access the under stoarge, the huksy was more rigid)

I want to do tint -- but will probably wait till next spring just because I'll probably have to spend 400 dollars on eye glasses here soon.

Every time I buy a new car I tell myself "dont' buy accessories for it till you have it mostly paid off" and I have yet to keep that promise to myself because I get so excited lol
Www.zennioptical.com

I don't spend more than $40 on a pair of prescription eye glasses. And they come super fast as well.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Www.zennioptical.com

I don't spend more than $40 on a pair of prescription eye glasses. And they come super fast as well.
I tried Zenni and I'll never do it again. I got half my money back. One pair broke when it sat on my dash in 80F heat. You especially don't want to do this if you wear bifocals.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
35% tint on rear hatch glass up to the "dot matrix" crap at the top portion of the hatch. Tint will not stick well to the dot matrix crap.
This one's 5% on the hatch and rear doors. After a couple of weeks I always take the car back to have them press out the dots. They don't disappear fully, but it doesn't really stand out much either, the way stopping the tint as you described will.

Also, if it's legal in Indiana, consider 5% eyebrows on the windshield. It's a huge help at dawn and dusk.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This one's 5% on the hatch and rear doors. After a couple of weeks I always take the car back to have them press out the dots. They don't disappear fully, but it doesn't really stand out much either, the way stopping the tint as you described will.

Also, if it's legal in Indiana, consider 5% eyebrows on the windshield. It's a huge help at dawn and dusk.
Need to update my location: I am in Mississippi now.

In both MS and IN you couldn't go dark on the hatch and rear windows like that. In Indiana you could have the brow stripe limo tint dark, but in MS the rules don't specify so most tint shops won't do it darker than is legal on the rest of the windows, 35%. I did the vinyl on the outside of the hatch, but I may prefer it on the inside... if so I will re-do it myself.

Pictures will be taken after all the tint "cures" in about a week... but by then the Voltshelf and other parts will be in so I should be able to take pictures of everything :)

Keith

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are some pictures of the car:

This is coming off of the trailer at my place, no mods, no tint:

I forgot to take a picture of the odometer before my first drive to work. This is after my first 19 miles of me behind the wheel:

Here it is now with the 35% tint all around. It is a bit reflective, but cuts significantly more heat than the non-reflective tint.

Here is the voltscreen installed:

Here is the spare tire installed in the trunk area on top of my brand new Voltmat:

And last but not least the Voltshelf, I will be trimming the cords that hold it up for a cleaner look:

Later,

Keith

·
Registered
926 Posts
Fourdoor (Keith), I am so jealous you don't have that eye-sore-of-a-license-plate holder on the front of your Volt. So much cooler looking.

Do you think you can post more of your Volt showing off the tinting? Especially around the dot matrix on the rear hatch. I'm curious how well it adheres to the dot matrix.

·
Registered
968 Posts
35%is too light. I did 50% still too light. also u can tint the back window dotted area without problem.
Actually, 35% tint is darker then 50%. So if your not satisfied with 50% then you should go with a lower number next time.

As for adhering to the back, i have 3M crystalline (60%) on my front windows (for the superior heat reduction, but pricey) and 3M Color Stable (20%) in the back windows and hatch. As for adhering to the dotted area, I was actually pretty impressed about 95% of the dots completely adhered with a few dots that sporadically across the glass didnt quite adhere 100%. Dont get me wrong, the tint looks good but if you look real close you can see the small difference in adherance of the tint. The hatch doesnt have any bubbles and it looks really good. Visibility in the back was not compromised because of the dark tint so over all I'm very satisfied.

Heres some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Actually, 35% tint is darker then 50%. So if your not satisfied with 50% then you should go with a lower number next time.

As for adhering to the back, i have 3M crystalline (60%) on my front windows (for the superior heat reduction, but pricey) and 3M Color Stable (20%) in the back windows and hatch. As for adhering to the dotted area, I was actually pretty impressed about 95% of the dots completely adhered with a few dots that sporadically across the glass didnt quite adhere 100%. Dont get me wrong, the tint looks good but if you look real close you can see the small difference in adherance of the tint. The hatch doesnt have any bubbles and it looks really good. Visibility in the back was not compromised because of the dark tint so over all I'm very satisfied.

Heres some pics
Looks awesome -- I need to get my tint done -- not in a huge rush though as the summer months are coming to an end. N. Texas so it get boiling hot, luckily I work nights so it's not a huge huge issue for now.

3M makes good stuff, found a good installer that does 3M locally. How much did you pay to have your 4 windows and rear done? If you don't mind me asking.

25% tint is the lowest legal in Texas -- I'd probably go with 30 or 40% all around just because I like symmetry and everything to match.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts