GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone! This is my first post on this forum but have been reading posts that interest me for the past 6-8 months and have gained a lot of knowledge from all of you. I own a 2013 black Volt that I bought used a couple years ago and have really enjoyed it. I had been following a few Prius car campers on YouTube and thought that could be done in a Volt but had no reason to try it until I had an opportunity to go to Alaska. Once I got there I had 2 weeks to spend in a nice cabin near Palmer. I really like a challenge and adventure so I outfitted my Volt for a car camping trip from Ohio to Alaska via Glacier National Park and back to a friends in Missouri, Sept 5 thru Oct 8, 2018. How did the Volt do? Well, it took a beating from salt pellets from semi trucks hitting it during a snow in Alberta, to lose gravel road construction, to actual gravel roads. Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of good roads too but I am highlighting the ones you wouldn't expect the low slung Volt to conquer. I drove a total of 9150 miles on this trip (mostly on gas) and my little Volt that could didn't miss a beat. It performed flawlessly as well as being my home for 20 of the 34 days I was gone. It averaged 41-42 mpg even though I couldn't get premium gas in parts of British Columbia and the Yukon. Was able to occasionally plug in using the Plug Share app but would estimate no more than 600 of the miles were electric. I did use electric mostly to heat my car before I went to bed and again in the morning but didn't run it all night as a generator. Lowest night time temp was 22 degrees F but I didn't run it as a generator all night because I didn't want to press my luck and because the engine really vibrates when it comes on every 15 minutes to recharge the volt battery disrupting my sleep.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts