GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2013 Volt in early April and got a CPO as well as 90 days of free OnStar and MyVolt.com. What a disappointment those two are. MyVolt.com rarely posts accurate results and/or incomplete results. My original 90 days just transpired, and MyVolt.com stopped working completely a week prior. I use VoltStats now.

OnStar worked fine for the few times I used it, mostly navigation, and vehicle check, but it is completely over-priced. I've been driving for almost 55 years and have NEVER run out of gas, locked my keys in the car, nor had an accident where I needed emergency help. I think the price of $35/mo for their premier package is way overblown, have pleaded with them to offer alternatives, but no dice. I have my own GPS and cell phone and because my Volt is a commuter car, I rarely use my GPS any more.

·
4,851 Posts
You should be able to get 5 years of free "basic" plan with OnStar following your 90 days. Basically that gives you RemoteLink app usage, which is pretty handy for remote starting your car from far away when it's either real hot or real cold outside. Even more so with a Volt given the engine doesn't need to be running. ;)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
You should be able to get 5 years of free "basic" plan with OnStar following your 90 days. Basically that gives you RemoteLink app usage, which is pretty handy for remote starting your car from far away when it's either real hot or real cold outside. Even more so with a Volt given the engine doesn't need to be running. ;)
I was able to sign up for free "basic" which pretty much only allows them to pull diagnostics, and VoltStats continues to work. I can't use remotelink. $20 a month for that buggy app and remote start? No way. The only value it has is being able to call out for airbag deployment. In that case I would prefer to have it active with a pay per use model. Please, bill me $20 for calling 911 for me after my airbags deploy. But I can't afford $20/mo for it.

Onstar and RemoteLink were possibly the biggest disappointment from my experience with my Volt, even for free. It was nifty the first year, but eventually I got tired of the bugs and delays and just stopped using it. They should be paying US to test their alpha product.

Edit - well I'll be damned. I just logged onto the app and the keyfob component still works. They told me when I renewed that it wouldn't. Whoops! I can't view the live status from the app, but Key Fob is definitely available. It looks like the app has been improved as well.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I have always said, and it still applies, that these apps are the worst feature of the Volt experience.

The Cadillac-skinned app kind of works now, but, it's still kludgy and the interface is too plain. Forget the online apps. They have been and still are completely worthless.

One would think that with a high-tech car like Volt/ELR that the apps would be world class not 2-star junk.

Just checked, it's 4.5 stars now because all iPhone apps zero out the reviews when they are updated. There are only 17 reviews. I guess GM owners are happier than some others...

MyCadillac - 4.5 stars
MyChevrolet - 4.0 stars
Tesla - 3.5 stars
Toyota Owners - 2.0 stars
BMW iRemote (i3 and i8) - 2.0 stars
Audi eTron connect - 1.0 stars

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I'm happy with OnStar, most likely because I just use it for directions when in the car and checking on the basic stuff like tire pressure when out of the car. My wife is a planner and likes that she can remotely open and start the car.

The a la carte list price is very steep but I got a package including minutes and the price was much lower than $35/month. I called them and the service rep but a couple of bundles together.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The look and feel of the original app was much better than the update they came out with a couple of years ago. I agree the performance has always been disappointing. It is a great thought but it has been poorly executed.

Stats never worked correctly after I purchased the second Volt. The only thing I use now is the KeyFob features on the app and that is free. GM trying to keep up with other manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I bought my 2013 Volt in early April and got a CPO as well as 90 days of free OnStar and MyVolt.com. What a disappointment those two are. MyVolt.com rarely posts accurate results and/or incomplete results. My original 90 days just transpired, and MyVolt.com stopped working completely a week prior. I use VoltStats now.
I agree, $19/month to check your state of charge and total ev miles is a bit much. Note that you need an OnStar account to keep your stats up to date on Voltstats. The OnStar Basic Plan, a 3-year version of which has been offered for free over the past few months, will keep your data going to Voltstats and MyVolt.com.

The MyVolt website often works better for me when viewed with a Firefox browser than with the Internet Explorer browser.

·
Administrator
19,982 Posts
My 5 year free, full OnStar plan ended in May. I went with the free 3 year extension. I don't use the app. Maybe that's why I have no complaints?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got a call from MyVolt.com agent Lindsey, and because of this "ongoing issue" I will be getting an extension of another three months of full OnStar. I haven't gotten any more info from MyVolt.com in regards to charging or mileage (efficiency isn't important to me), so we'll see. Stay tuned.

I also don't use an app (no smart phone), but I use the on line version.

·
Registered
208 Posts
just before the thanksgiving holiday onstar gave 3 more years off free basic onstar to those people whose 2013 volts were almost at the end of their onstar agreements
right now if you buy any chevy or gm vehicle that has onstar you will get a free 3 year basic onstar coverage.
my 2015 volt is under the free basic plan right now,as my smartphone does everything but unlock my doors,and I can't see paying all that extra money for nothing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts