GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I park my car on the street and I'm concerned about how I will provide power for the overnight charge. I sent an email to an electrician that works for the county and he thought that the public works would not like having an extension cord crossing the sidewalk. Does anyone have experience or input on this problem? Seems like GM (and the rest of the plug-in EV mfgs), the power companies and city management need to solve this problem. I don't see 100% of the Volt's parked inside of a garage for overnight charging.

Bill

·
Registered
218 Posts
Bill,

Maybe you could convince your employer to electrify a parking spot for you?

Bottom line is that you don't have to plug in at home - it could be anywhere you go regularly.

·
Registered
200 Posts
This can be quite inconvenient, actually. Once upon a time, I had a Fiat. (It's not as bad as it sounds, I was living in Italy at the time, and it was a '90s Fiat.) I bought the beastie used, and I think something about the aftermarket security system had a fairly constant power draw. I had the car less than a year and never figured out where the draw was happening, and typically just disconnected the battery at the end of the weekend (I took the subway to work during the week.) For the times I forgot to do that, I had a battery charger and a LONG extension cord... running from my 2nd-floor apartment down to and across the sidewalk to the parking area between the sidewalk and the street. It was enough of a pain in the butt, and it was just an occasional thing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Where I live it gets really cold in the winter and many people plug in their cars block heaters overnight. Many of the people who live in the inner city where they park on the street in front of their homes have bracket like devices (for lack of a better term) where they feed the extension cord through and over the sidewalk so that it does not impede pedestrian traffic. These brackets are usually 6 or 7 feet tall and extend over the sidewalk about 2 or 3 feet and then the extension cord hangs over the sidewalk instead of laying on it.

I don't actually know if this is mandatory in my municipality or not but I've seen many examples of this type of structure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts