1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Same as the Fit EV IIRC.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
It appears they are LEASING the 5 year old used Honda Fit EVs. Who the fk leases an end-of-life car that is now obsolete? Are they nuts?

That probably means HONDA CRUSHED THE FIT EVs when they became off-lease. Where's the Feature Length Movie, eh? Oh wait, Honda crushed EVs too when GM did.

·
8,680 Posts
It appears they are LEASING the 5 year old used Honda Fit EVs. Who the fk leases an end-of-life car that is now obsolete? Are they nuts?

That probably means HONDA CRUSHED THE FIT EVs when they became off-lease. Where's the Feature Length Movie, eh? Oh wait, Honda crushed EVs too when GM did.
Huh? The new Clarity Electric is not a five year old Fit EV. The article gets a little fuzzy because they have a similar EPA range, but Honda isn't offering the older cars for lease.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The Clarity PHEV is a great EV hybrid that is available nationwide today. Clarity EV is eligible for some attractive lease deals if you live in a state that leases them.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Huh? The new Clarity Electric is not a five year old Fit EV. The article gets a little fuzzy because they have a similar EPA range, but Honda isn't offering the older cars for lease.
I just called a Honda dealer. I can lease a 2013 Honda Fit EV for $199/m

What happened to the rest? They refuse to sell them.

I was thinking they would sell them dirt cheap as a work delivery car. Nope.

Find a used one and see.

As Yogi Berra would say, "I'm having deja vu all over again!"

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
They only made a few Fit EVs, leasing allows them to retain control of them. I wouldn't care if they crushed them. Amazing how much negative publicity GM created for themselves by crushing those weird little EV1s. I could care less personally, no one would have bought those no matter how much marketing they put behind it ;)

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
They only made a few Fit EVs, leasing allows them to retain control of them. I wouldn't care if they crushed them. Amazing how much negative publicity GM created for themselves by crushing those weird little EV1s. I could care less personally, no one would have bought those no matter how much marketing they put behind it ;)
Yes, the Fit EV was never meant to be sold, only leased in a limited geographic area. It was intended as a test bed I think, and leasing limits Honda's exposure. The lease enables Honda to see how things go without being on the hook for a long term warranty, parts, etc.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I guess people should thank Honda. No one should ever consider buying any EV under 100 mile range is just financially irresponsible. states need to not only put $ limits of the price of the EV incentives are given for but also specify minimum range

D

·
0 Posts
No one should ever consider buying any EV under 100 mile range is just financially irresponsible. states need to not only put $ limits of the price of the EV incentives are given for but also specify minimum range
6+ years now with 2 Mitsu iMiEV's and we love them - You'll never get hers away from my wife for sure. Thank heavens nobody is thinking of doing what you suggest!!

Don

·
8,680 Posts
Funny thing about that. GM built 1117 EV1s from what I can find. Honda made 1100 Fit EVs...

·
8,680 Posts
I just called a Honda dealer. I can lease a 2013 Honda Fit EV for $199/m

What happened to the rest? They refuse to sell them.

I was thinking they would sell them dirt cheap as a work delivery car. Nope.

Find a used one and see.

As Yogi Berra would say, "I'm having deja vu all over again!"
Wow. That does surprise me. If there was anything about that in the article I missed it entirely...

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Funny thing about that. GM built 1117 EV1s from what I can find. Honda made 1100 Fit EVs...
Something like 40 left and I believe 2 that are still complete.

·
Registered
13,643 Posts
The Clarity PHEV is a great EV hybrid that is available nationwide today. Clarity EV is eligible for some attractive lease deals if you live in a state that leases them.
There’s no such thing as an attractive lease deal, except 100% down, $0 per month, unlimited term, unlimited mileage, 0 money factor.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
There’s no such thing as an attractive lease deal, except 100% down, $0 per month, unlimited term, unlimited mileage, 0 money factor.
Sure there is, $200/mo for 36 mo and 20k annual mileage limit, that is less than depreciation on buying many cars. I did worse buying a 3 year old Volt and selling it at 6 or 7 years old.

·
Registered
13,643 Posts
Sure there is, $200/mo for 36 mo and 20k annual mileage limit, that is less than depreciation on buying many cars. I did worse buying a 3 year old Volt and selling it at 6 or 7 years old.
Except that after spending $7200, at the end of the lease term you have nothing, and you go back to the well again to make payments for the rest of your life. People need to break the cycle from always having a car payment, then turn around and earn compounding interest on their money instead of paying compounding interest.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
$7200 and you have nothing... not true, you had use of the car for 3 years. Most leases I would agree with you, but if you can buy a new car for around 35k and only see say $9k depreciation in 3 years, you are doing pretty well.

I am saying a "good" lease deal is one where you come out ahead over buying and selling at end of the same time period. Clearly leasing is a bad deal if you drive vehicles into the ground.

·
Registered
13,643 Posts

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Leasing the remaining inventory of Fit EVs makes sense; Honda has just announced plans to produce a new Fit EV with a starting price below $20,000 USD, 186 mile estimated range (range is probably based on the European test loop.) Honda says the new Fit EV will be available starting in 2020. Annual global production of the new Fit EV will be 100,000 units. https://insideevs.com/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts