GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter likes to connect her phone to the Volt's stereo via bluetooth and force everyone in the car to listen to Black Veil Brides on the way to school. I don't mind this too much as it's only a 5 minute drive. But now that I have Android Auto installed, I want to connect my phone so that I can deal with texts etc using the (so far very nice) interface.

This morning, daughter gets into the car first, tries to connect, can't for some reason - but Android Auto doesn't work either, until I drop her off at school, pull over, and remove and add my phone.

So: Is there any way to have Android Auto connected to my phone while her phone is connected over bluetooth? I'm guessing that only one device at a time can be connected via bluetooth. So what's the solution?

I'm thinking maybe get her an audio cord so she can connect to the stereo that way? (Seems like overkill for 5 minutes, but this is one way for me to keep track of what kind of crap she's listening to without going full Stasi on her iphone and snooping on her playlists.)

·
Banned
398 Posts
I would do the analog audio cord and keep any other devices completely off of the Volt's Bluetooth. Chevy's BT implementation is buggy and annoying. I have run into trouble and trip-ups all the time when my boys are trying to play music during their trips to school (or wherever) - and I only use BT audio. I tried Carplay once and the switching between BT audio, Carplay, and my kids phones completely confused the MyLink.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
keep any other devices completely off of the Volt's Bluetooth.
Ugh, this is going to be a problem. We can keep my daughter's phone off the Volt's Bluetooth, but my wife's is a different story - she will want to use Android Auto for navigation when she's driving. Since I drive the car most often, I guess that means that she'll have to turn off Bluetooth after she's done so that it doesn't interfere with mine when we're in the car together. So annoying. All this should really be handled by a message popping up when there's more than one Bluetooth device around, asking which one MyLink should pay attention to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get a cheap low profile USB drive and she can load all her music that way. I just ordered a 64GB off Amazon for $15.

I bought one of these low profile USB flash drives (32GB Sandisk) and it seems the 2016 Volt pushes too much power into the USB ports, because the flash drive constantly overheats and will stop reading properly. I have to pull the flash drive out and let it cool before it will read again in the Volt. My low profile drive sometimes gets blazing hot in my Volt.

These low profile drives don't have enough surface area to dissipate the heat that the Volt causes to these drives. Larger flash drives I've used in my Volt don't have this problem and the low profile flash drive works fine without heating issues in my laptop and PC.

·
4,852 Posts
I bought one of these low profile USB flash drives (32GB Sandisk) and it seems the 2016 Volt pushes too much power into the USB ports, because the flash drive constantly overheats and will stop reading properly. I have to pull the flash drive out and let it cool before it will read again in the Volt. My low profile drive sometimes gets blazing hot in my Volt.

These low profile drives don't have enough surface area to dissipate the heat that the Volt causes to these drives. Larger flash drives I've used in my Volt don't have this problem and the low profile flash drive works fine without heating issues in my laptop and PC.
There's no such thing as "pushing too much power" ;)

You may want to get that looked in to. There may be some unintended path between power and ground causing the heat-up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
"My daughter likes to connect her phone to the Volt's stereo via Bluetooth and force everyone in the car to listen to Black Veil Brides"

Heh ... Black Veil Brides, Panic at the Disco, etc ... my daughter as well ... I feel your pain.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't forget 21 Pilots. I was delighted when she decided that Taylor Swift and company were intolerable. But if I have to hear that whiny grandiose moppet complain about how he's stressed out and his mommy used to sing him to sleep one more time, I am going to drive my Volt off the nearest cliff.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's no such thing as "pushing too much power"
There is, however, such a thing as pushing too much *voltage* (which, if I remember my physics, would mean too much power is used if the same amperage is drawn). Could, say, 10 V instead of 5 V cause a USB drive to overheat?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
So many times I've tried to do just that for my daughter. Can you email me or post here the steps to connect a phone to the Bluetooth radio please. Man, I've lost hair on my head trying to figure that out.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's in the manual, but it's also pretty straightfoward. Turn Bluetooth on in the phone. In MyLink, go to Settings, Bluetooth, Add Device. They find each other and there's some business about a pin code, and then they connect. If they don't find each other, something is wrong with either MyLink or the phone.

·
Registered
968 Posts

If you buy a usb 2.0 low profile then you shouldn't have the overheating problem you describe. Ive been using mine for 6 month with no problems. I have read many probem on newegg reviews with the usb 3.0 sandisk overheating on PC's. The thing that may have you believing that there arent over heating issues with a usb 3.0 drive on a pc is that the problem may not show it self if you only transfer small files and only use it periodically. On your volt you are using the usb drive constantly. Here's the one that i use and that a few other forum members have said that work for them also.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive-SDCZ33-016G-B35/dp/B00812F7O8?th=1&psc=1

·
Banned
398 Posts
snic,

I am a self-annointed expert on this issue. Here is what you do:

1. Analog audio cord for your daughter, SHE IS NOT ON THE BT.
2. Your wife must plug in to use AA. Therefore she should have her own cord, plugged into one of the MyLink USB ports, for when she drives. SHE IS NOT on the BT.
3. YOU are on the BT alone. For charging, buy a cig-lighter lighter charger and leave YOUR cord plugged into there. That way your phone doesn't try to use "iPod" mode when using the MyLink USB ports. As a bonus, you can get ultra fast chargers on Amazon for $15.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
snic,

I am a self-annointed expert on this issue. Here is what you do:

1. Analog audio cord for your daughter, SHE IS NOT ON THE BT.
2. Your wife must plug in to use AA. Therefore she should have her own cord, plugged into one of the MyLink USB ports, for when she drives. SHE IS NOT on the BT.
3. YOU are on the BT alone. For charging, buy a cig-lighter lighter charger and leave YOUR cord plugged into there. That way your phone doesn't try to use "iPod" mode when using the MyLink USB ports. As a bonus, you can get ultra fast chargers on Amazon for $15.
Thanks. But I'm confused and am probably missing something.

Regarding #2, after I installed AA and plugged my phone into MyLink via USB the very first time after the upgrade, my phone asked me for permission to use BT. Presumably, that's necessary for AA to work with my phone. So the same thing will happen when my wife plugs in to use AA. Her BT will turn on and connect to MyLink. So the next time we are in the car together, MyLink will see two BT devices and be confused as to which one to pay attention to, right?

Regarding #3, doesn't my phone *need* to be connected to MyLink via USB in order for AA to work?

I'm deducing that I might be missing this: that AA can work *either* over BT *or* over USB; all it needs is *one* of those connections. Is that true? I thought it needed both.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Thanks. But I'm confused and am probably missing something.

Regarding #2, after I installed AA and plugged my phone into MyLink via USB the very first time after the upgrade, my phone asked me for permission to use BT. Presumably, that's necessary for AA to work with my phone. So the same thing will happen when my wife plugs in to use AA. Her BT will turn on and connect to MyLink. So the next time we are in the car together, MyLink will see two BT devices and be confused as to which one to pay attention to, right?

Regarding #3, doesn't my phone *need* to be connected to MyLink via USB in order for AA to work?

I'm deducing that I might be missing this: that AA can work *either* over BT *or* over USB; all it needs is *one* of those connections. Is that true? I thought it needed both.
Regarding #2: when both you and your wife are in the car, press the phone icon on your infotainment screen to make sure your phone is checked, then you plug your phone in for you to use AA. She can use the cigarette light for charging and your daughter can use the aux-in line for her music. Let your daughter pick here music on her phone (if you wish), then select AA icon on the infotainment screen to initiate the AA, then you have control of AA with your daughter's music in the background.

Regarding #3: the individual who wants to use AA needs to be plugged into USB port.

Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts