GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Oh come on, give us a precis or a hint or something. Put at least a little effort in to make us think clicking that link would be okay.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Interesting read, and I liked the hacker perspective.

One thing that I hope comes from the Volt's discontinuation is increased hacking and modding as most Volts lose their warranties. Hopefully one day with enough hacking, we could add additional capacity either by expanding the usable range in the pack, or physically adding batteries to the trunk or other locations and telling the computer to just accept them. If charging locations become prevalent enough, even the idea of removing the gas engine and associated components and replacing that space with batteries to make a pure EV would be awesome. A pipe dream of course, but that article gives me hope.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
even the idea of removing the gas engine and associated components and replacing that space with batteries to make a pure EV would be awesome. A pipe dream of course, but that article gives me hope.
If you take the engine out, you might as well replace the entire drivetrain with something like a Bolt or Spark EV.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I you take the engine out, you might as well replace the entire drivetrain with something like a Bolt or Spark EV.
It's a one hour mod, drive your Volt to a Chevy dealer and say "I'd like to trade my Volt for a Bolt", do the dance with the salesman, he says I have to talk to my manager, you get up to leave, cha cha cha and then you have a BEV.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
If driving a 238-mile BEV to a destination some 250+ miles away requires a half-hour refueling stop (at twice or more the cost of refueling at home) when you’re only a half-hour or less from your destination (and once again on the way home), I would say the future has not yet quite arrived, and let’s instead drive there using our extended range vehicle...

·
Registered
64 Posts
The hack I'd like to see: The ability to fully replenish the battery when the ICE is running on a longish trip (without the pitiful partial charge from Mountain Mode shenanigans)... We drive to Austin a few times a year, it'd be nice to do our 40 EV miles, switch to the ICE, and have the 40 mile range available again when we get there, 3½ hours later... I mean, how hard could it be?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
The hack I'd like to see: The ability to fully replenish the battery when the ICE is running on a longish trip (without the pitiful partial charge from Mountain Mode shenanigans)... We drive to Austin a few times a year, it'd be nice to do our 40 EV miles, switch to the ICE, and have the 40 mile range available again when we get there, 3½ hours later... I mean, how hard could it be?
Just run a bypass to the hood closed sensor. On the Gen 2 Volt anytime the Volt senses that the hood is open and the Volt is running the ICE will start, run and charge the battery.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
Oh come on, give us a precis or a hint or something. Put at least a little effort in to make us think clicking that link would be okay.
I agree, a little context would be nice when posting a link. What's the linked article about, as a starter. The link should be for those who want to know more about whatever you are posting, or as a source to a fact or quote you post.

·
8,680 Posts
TANSTAAFL. You understand that the car would burn an extra gallon of gas during the drive running the engine harder to make your "electric" range at the end, right? And if you don't use it all, you've lost the chance to recharge that portion from the grid.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
TANSTAAFL. You understand that the car would burn an extra gallon of gas during the drive running the engine harder to make your "electric" range at the end, right? And if you don't use it all, you've lost the chance to recharge that portion from the grid.
On the other hand, if you could fully recharge a fully depleted Gen 2 battery by burning 1.25 gallons of gas in the generator, and then drive the window sticker rated distance of 53 miles using that battery power, that’s 42.4 mpg, which is actually a tad better than the window sticker rating of 42 mpg when using gas...

Think about that... if you use MM to recharge your Gen 2 battery to the MM-maintained level as you drive home on the freeway, and then use that battery charge for the final ~10 miles of stop-and-go, slow speed suburban street driving, you may improve your overall gas mileage.

·
8,680 Posts
On the other hand, if you could fully recharge a fully depleted Gen 2 battery by burning 1.25 gallons of gas in the generator, and then drive the window sticker rated distance of 53 miles using that battery power, that’s 42.4 mpg, which is actually a tad better than the window sticker rating of 42 mpg when using gas...

Think about that... if you use MM to recharge your Gen 2 battery to the MM-maintained level as you drive home on the freeway, and then use that battery charge for the final ~10 miles of stop-and-go, slow speed suburban street driving, you may improve your overall gas mileage.
That's been a subject of much discussion and some acrimony for almost eight years now on this forum. It was actually a discussion about that idea that got me to register, months before I bought my Volt.

It is possible to achieve better results than just running in normal mode through timed use of Mountain mode in the right driving conditions. It is not any sort of sinecure; used randomly it will decrease overall economy slightly.

Basically, you're forcing more energy to go through the battery round trip and associated losses, which can only be offset by getting the engine to a more efficient operating point in the process.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just run a bypass to the hood closed sensor. On the Gen 2 Volt anytime the Volt senses that the hood is open and the Volt is running the ICE will start, run and charge the battery.
Are you sure the ICE recharges when the hood is open?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
It's a one hour mod, drive your Volt to a Chevy dealer and say "I'd like to trade my Volt for a Bolt", do the dance with the salesman, he says I have to talk to my manager, you get up to leave, cha cha cha and then you have a BEV.
Ding. Ding. Ding.

While I get the mod bug, and I'd certainly like to do more of that with EVs, if my purpose was to have a reliable, capable, EV, I'd just buy one of the many that are now available.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm going to wait for the software upgrade that increases max output power from 120kW to 150kW. Your mod has too many side effects like changing a reasonably sporty sedan into a micro minivan and cheapening and narrowing the seats so your shoulders stick over the sides. :p

Mike

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I'm going to wait for the software upgrade that increases max output power from 120kW to 150kW. Your mod has too many side effects like changing a reasonably sporty sedan into a micro minivan and cheapening and narrowing the seats so your shoulders stick over the sides. :p

Mike
Good luck. As an owner of both the Bolt EV and the Volt, I can tell you that the Bolt EV will run circles around the Volt. Also, I wouldn't count on getting that "150 kW" without using the ICE.

Also, if it's seats you want, a Bolt EV owner is currently getting Recaros customized for the Bolt EV. I'm waiting on his feedback. If all goes well, we might want to do a group buy.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
That's been a subject of much discussion and some acrimony for almost eight years now on this forum. It was actually a discussion about that idea that got me to register, months before I bought my Volt.

It is possible to achieve better results than just running in normal mode through timed use of Mountain mode in the right driving conditions. It is not any sort of sinecure; used randomly it will decrease overall economy slightly.

Basically, you're forcing more energy to go through the battery round trip and associated losses, which can only be offset by getting the engine to a more efficient operating point in the process.
My observation is that Mountain Mode improves efficiency, take this with a grain of salt because it's not a scientific measurement. My reasoning is as follows, an ICE has a very narrow band where it's at it's most efficient, outside of that band it's efficiency drops off significantly. When in Mountain Mode or Hold Mode the Volt uses the battery when it needs extra power rather than pushing the ICE out of it's comfort zone, it then replenishes the battery at a slower rate which keeps the ICE in it's optimal mode. If the battery is at 0 then all power has to come from the ICE, when you accelerate the ICE becomes less effecient and the MPG drops.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi all, its been a while since I posted and obviously a lot has happened since.

It is such a shame to see the end of this car, however it will be very interesting to see aftermarket mods
and hacking to improve and unlock hidden performance of the car.

Now the depressing part. Last week me and the wifey drove to Detroit to see a wings game, had to see the
new little ceasers arena in person, however what followed after we crossed the border earlier in the day
was a massive eyeopener to say the least, I still think about it now. I haven't read the news or was aware
they were even closing the Hamtramck plant until now, only knew about the Volt discontuation as that was news.
I decided to drive by the plant where the car was assembled as I never seen it in person before, kind of like
a tribute. I never felt so depressed in my life, knowing that such a short distance away, such economic disparity,
almost like they are surrounded by a country that entirely forgot about their existence. When you factor the
distance from Toronto and how we constantly bicker about housing prices costing over $1,000,000 in dead end towns
like Milton yet a mere 300km away you have such mass abandonment, one can't help but wonder what the hell is wrong
with society. It really makes me sad. One can't even use the T scapegoat here as this was a good 20+ years in the making.

Anyhow I still have (and love) the car in my signature, now over 100,000km without any real issues at all. Original
brakes are good. The tie rods are a bit creaky but with over 100,000 of Toronto stop and go city wear and tear
I am happy. The Volt was a great car, no doubt about it, but unfortunately wasn't cool with the kids and the media
were able to ruin the publicity by reporting a bull**** fire during crash tests, however Tesla seems rather immune
to this due to their Apple cult-like following, Apple can basically defraud you regarding battery performance and
get away with it. I wanted a Tesla back when the S was a new thing, but ugh, NO. Apple should take that as a clue
and start making vehicles before their cult status runs out.

GM could have probably made a killing had they converted the Saturn brand into EV only and made sleek designs that stood out, not bland or distinct designs merely because they were electric cars..... the BMW i3... DIAF. Nobody wants a compact electric anymore, The Bolt's lack of huge success despite being a very practical BEV & Tesla is enough proof of that. Again, a shame as the Bolt's drivetrain is ridiculously futuristic for its time. GM should be pumping out crossover sized BEV's that people can actually fit a crossovers worth in.

Also, no doubt about it, I would have bought another Volt.

EDIT: To add insult to injury, GM Canada is still showing ads on billboards in our malls:
2018 Chevy Volt, #1 Selling PHEV in Canada.

Hmm, Saturn EVion, I like it. ironically a name for vitamin E, which aids vision, reproduction, health, etc. electric!
How one could dream.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Good luck. As an owner of both the Bolt EV and the Volt, I can tell you that the Bolt EV will run circles around the Volt. Also, I wouldn't count on getting that "150 kW" without using the ICE.

Also, if it's seats you want, a Bolt EV owner is currently getting Recaros customized for the Bolt EV. I'm waiting on his feedback. If all goes well, we might want to do a group buy.
The only place the Bolt beats the Volt is acceleration at passing speeds (over 40 MPH). The Volt out accelerates the Bolt 0-40 and with equal drivers/tires will crush the Bolt in autocross. So I wouldn't exactly say it "runs circles" around the Volt. Depends on which end of the spectrum you are looking at.

Mike

·
8,680 Posts
My observation is that Mountain Mode improves efficiency, take this with a grain of salt because it's not a scientific measurement. My reasoning is as follows, an ICE has a very narrow band where it's at it's most efficient, outside of that band it's efficiency drops off significantly. When in Mountain Mode or Hold Mode the Volt uses the battery when it needs extra power rather than pushing the ICE out of it's comfort zone, it then replenishes the battery at a slower rate which keeps the ICE in it's optimal mode. If the battery is at 0 then all power has to come from the ICE, when you accelerate the ICE becomes less effecient and the MPG drops.
0 isn't 0. There's a kilowatt hour between the SoC it turns the engine on at/tries to maintain and the hard floor, with which the car cushions ICE demand in exactly the fashion you describe for the other modes.

Switching into mountain mode below the threshold while driving can actually force the car out the high end of the efficient range as it tries to charge the battery while also powering the car down the road.

When the demand for engine power is well below the efficient output range, the car does its own version of the mountain mode game, charging up a few hundred watt hours to keep the engine in the efficient range (usually in virtual sixth gear, with MG B basically stopped and the engine pushing everything,) then shutting down the engine for a mile or two.

As I said, it's been the subject of extensive debate and much testing on the forum for the better part of a decade, and I would rather not hijack this thread to have another of those debates. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts