GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday was a special day. I saw my first gen 2 Volt at an intersection in Salt Lake (not counting dealers or auto shows). It was moving fast and was gone in about 5 seconds. I actually didn't get a very good look. I know what they look like. It was light gray (don't know what the official color name would be). I'm also seeing more gen 1's.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I saw a blue one in Geneva, IL while on my way to a baseball game for my son. On the way home, I was driving next to it for a couple of miles. Sharp looking.

Like the Gen2 Rear better
Like the Gen1 front better
Like the Gen1 sides a lot more.
Like the Gen2 interior a lot more.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Like the Gen2 Rear better
Like the Gen1 front better
Like the Gen1 sides a lot more.
Like the Gen2 interior a lot more.
Mostly concur, though the rear's kind of nice in different ways. Both Volt butts are nicer than the Cruze one, though.

And now that I've gotten used to the Gen 1's Space Cadet console, I'm less interested in returning to the now-retro control styling on the Gen 2 console. And I still don't like directional nav buttons for controlling things in a car, like on the Gen 2's right spoke.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
If styling sells, then Gen 2 ought to do well if price is not a factor. (OK, it usually is) Gen 1 was designed to be totally distinctive, perhaps a reaction to Honda failing to sell many hybrid civics because they looked like.....Civics. In contrast Prius was unique and sold well.
Gen 2 is unquestionably influenced by the 2013 vintage clean and to my eyes beautiful Civic, and Hundai Elantra, both of which must have given Mr. Toyota heartburn. So now Volt is more mainstream, a good looker that retains the best of the above cars even as Civic, for one, has moved on to an amazingly ugly design. (gross taillights, gratuitous body creases "just like Elantra" the designers must have been ordered, I'll bet) I don't see any Cruize in Volt and with no front license plate the car stills sticks out great.
I would like to see a little more body color at the lower rear (the reverse of Gen 1, which needed a little more black after 2011/12)
and for this reason the black Volt looks simply grand, but the body panels are what they are and for the money saved by Chevy in this area my silver car is OK. BTW, I have only seen one red Gen 2 even here in S. Cal. Extra cost for paint??? Oh, please.
Gen 2: Oh, my, what a great car. 10K mi. and I'm still in love......

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't think anyone ever bought a Prius because they thought it looked good... And I think the new one is simply fugly!

In contrast Prius was unique and sold well.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw my second Gen-2 yesterday. That's about a month since the first one. Not bad. My dealer has three Volts. It hasn't had any Gen-1's for a while. I don't understand their sales strategy. The have a new Cruze parked next to them. Since they're so similar, are they saying you can get a car that looks like a Volt for thousands of dollars less?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've had my red LT for a bit over a month, and I have yet to see another 2016 or 2017 on the street. Maybe I didn't notice, but I doubt it. I'm usually very conscious of other cars around me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts