1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I think there is only so much space for new companies wanting to sell electric and autonomous vehicles. Telsa was early to the party and had the luck to be able to get the Nummi facility for a song because of the Great Recession. That more or less -- mostly more -- sucked all the air out of the room IMO.

·
Administrator
20,231 Posts
Could of had an existing auto plant for $1 but decided on building a new $1billion glass-walled facility in the middle of a desert was the smart thing to do beacuse it would be a tourist attraction.

Reading the article, it seems like one bad decision after the other. Seems like the company is a hot mess, not long for this world.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I haven't looked - are they still sponsoring FIA Formula-E racing? I always thought that was odd.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Sad to see a contender not even get their first car out. I was excited about thei FF91 until they overpriced and over-teched it. Just start out with the FF91 body, an EV drivetrain, and lane change safety detectors/AAC for $50_60K and it will sell like crazy. The automatic parking, facial recognition, connected internet experience is all stuff I don’t really need. And th $180K price tag just knocked it out of the reach of most people, except those shopping for supercars.

There appears to be a gaping hole in the market between the lower cost Leaf/Volt/Bolt and the high priced Tesla S/X or Volvo V90 Plugin. First one to come out with a really compelling $40-50K CUV will run away with the market. I already cancelled my model 3 reservation as I wanted more....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Add Lucid to this crazy tale. Both have no real manufacturing but they want to take orders for cars. FF was always a joke-the car looked like some conglomeration of multiple SUV's. The Lucid Air has a Dodge Charger front end and Infinty SUV rear end.

Tesla is 10 years old and still trying to figure out how to make money and how to make a quality vehicle. When the Mission E arrives Tesla will be yesterdays news for people who want the coolest car.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Add Lucid to this crazy tale. Both have no real manufacturing but they want to take orders for cars. FF was always a joke-the car looked like some conglomeration of multiple SUV's. The Lucid Air has a Dodge Charger front end and Infinty SUV rear end.

Tesla is 10 years old and still trying to figure out how to make money and how to make a quality vehicle. When the Mission E arrives Tesla will be yesterdays news for people who want the coolest car.
It looks like the jaguar ipace will beat everyone to the true ev CUV market (I don’t consider the bolt to be a CUV). Pricies of the electric jag and Porsche are still huge question marks.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
It looks like the jaguar ipace will beat everyone to the true ev CUV market (I don’t consider the bolt to be a CUV). Pricies of the electric jag and Porsche are still huge question marks.
I think the I Pace is expected to be between $75K and $100K, depending on the trim level. So cheaper than Tesla. The Porsche will probably be a lot more expensive. Probably in line or more expensive than Tesla in the higher trim levels. I'd expect Porsche to think their customers wouldn't expect anything less! LOL

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Enrons of the automotive world. While Elon may be "half BF Skinner and half PT Barnum" to keep the cash flowing in at least he has a factory and cars roll out the end of it.

Edit: for those waiting for European EV's, I found this today on my Quora feed. Not about EV's but sobering in it's implications.

"I’ve worked on both in a dealership environment. When it comes to reliability and ease of ownership, Lexus absolutely destroys the German makes. A normal day at Lexus was regularly scheduled maintenance. A normal day in the German shop was diagnosing complex electronic issues, repairing things that shouldn’t have worn out at 60k miles, and trying to twist your body in unnatural ways to get to things that on a Lexus are in the open.

If buying a new car with a warranty and you plan to sell it before the warranty runs out, get whichever one you like the most. If you plan to keep it for a long time, get a Lexus."

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Enrons of the automotive world. While Elon may be "half BF Skinner and half PT Barnum" to keep the cash flowing in at least he has a factory and cars roll out the end of it.

Edit: for those waiting for European EV's, I found this today on my Quora feed. Not about EV's but sobering in it's implications.

"I’ve worked on both in a dealership environment. When it comes to reliability and ease of ownership, Lexus absolutely destroys the German makes. A normal day at Lexus was regularly scheduled maintenance. A normal day in the German shop was diagnosing complex electronic issues, repairing things that shouldn’t have worn out at 60k miles, and trying to twist your body in unnatural ways to get to things that on a Lexus are in the open.

If buying a new car with a warranty and you plan to sell it before the warranty runs out, get whichever one you like the most. If you plan to keep it for a long time, get a Lexus."
Lexus makes hybrids, but no EVs. The only Lexus i’d want is a new LFA but they stopped making them

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Lexus gets a bad rating for owner satisfaction according to CR.
That’s surprising since CR has had a 4 decade long love affair with Japanese cars. The last two items I purchased using CR both failed exactly 1 month after the warrantee ran out. CR strives for best bang for the buck, not best value for the money or quality. Things that tend to win out are feature rich and cheap, thus Samsung and LG appliances do well, Kia and Hyundai cars, etc. I will never use CR to purchase anything for the rest of my life. To me, it’s a waste of money to purchase a subscription.

I might own a Lexus if they didn’t fuglify the grills to look like the 80’s vintage Cylons. What are the Toyota designers smoking?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
How long has this company been in its death throes? Was it only a year ago that the FF91 was shown off at car shows? When the main investor is a paper billionaire, in China, where accounting practices are unreliable, it's not far fetched to think of other periods of time of over exuberance like the internet bubble and Enron. The Chinese gov't now wants Jia Yueting to return to China, and he won't go, saying he's working on rescuing Farcical Fancy. He's leaving his brother in China to be the fall guy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts