GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14,033 Posts
It still feels like a glacial pace to me. In 2010 the first Volt was in the wild. 7 years later, I'm still waiting for the perfect PHEV or EV. The Tesla Model S and X are too expensive, the CT6 is too expensive, the Volvo XC90 is too expensive, the Leaf/i3/Focus EV/Golf EV have range anxiety (Leaf getting updated soon), the Bolt is too small, the Model 3 isn't here yet, and nothing else compels me to buy anything anytime soon. I say this multiple times a week - Subyukonade!!!!

·
Registered
14,033 Posts
You may never find the perfect EV but technological disruption is usually glacial until it isn't. What I mean is that you naturally think the changeover will be gradual -- kinda like the chart in the article shows -- but what happens is very little and then a lot. Think of a dam giving way rather than water pouring over a spillway.

In the meantime, yes it does seem glacial. LOL
The perfect EV to me is simple. A Voltec Equinox with 60 miles of EV range for $40-45K would do it. I still don't understand why GM won't sell different sized batteries to give folks a choice like Tesla does. For example, urban dwellers might be fine with a 30 mile battery where commuting warriors might wasn't a 60 or 90 mile battery. Allowing the car to be upgradable at the dealership for the difference in cost would be a real welcome option, so I could buy a used car with a 30 mile battery and upgrade it later.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.