GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2016 in for service to my preferred dealer and after the service dept. said they had no loaners I went over to the show room to try to borrow a new 2014 still sitting on their lot. They had let me use this unit in the past as a loaner when my 2012 that I ordered and purchased from them was in the shop. I spoke to the sales manager and he told me that it already had too many miles on it and they are having a hard time selling it as they are no longer a Volt dealer.
I told him the reason the 2014 is not selling is that their online price has minimal discounts. He was not to happy with my opinion.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I told him the reason the 2014 is not selling is that their online price has minimal discounts. He was not to happy with my opinion.
The truth hurts sometimes.

You are in MD, so hopefully you have another Volt-certified dealer nearby to go to.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I took my 2016 in for service to my preferred dealer and after the service dept. said they had no loaners I went over to the show room to try to borrow a new 2014 still sitting on their lot. They had let me use this unit in the past as a loaner when my 2012 that I ordered and purchased from them was in the shop. I spoke to the sales manager and he told me that it already had too many miles on it and they are having a hard time selling it as they are no longer a Volt dealer.
Who would be surprised? With GM's outstanding marketing for the Volt,..cough, cough,... I am surprised any dealer can sell the Volt and keep it well stocked if not a carb state.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Who would be surprised? With GM's outstanding marketing for the Volt,..cough, cough,... I am surprised any dealer can sell the Volt and keep it well stocked if not a carb state.
Or worse still in an ANTI-carb state that penalizes EV ownership.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Yup. I've watched a lot of Olympic coverage. I've seen the SAME Malibu commercial about a HUNDRED times...meanwhile, in the commercial, the study group is asked what this fabulous vehicle is under the tarp that has won awards. The first respondent replies, 'the Chevy Volt'. Nope...it's the Malibu. After reflecting, you think about how that sounds. Is it a dig against the Volt? Are we supposed to assume the Volt is reliable...or not reliable? Regardless, it shows that GM did not listen to those respondents and decide to do the same thing for the Volt that it did for the Malibu...and the other four Chevys featured in that commercial. Even if they shifted the commercials to 10/1 (instead of ZERO for the Volt), I am sure the average viewer would have seen that same commercial repeatedly. IDIOT marketing people- when you see the same commercial over and over you tune it out. If you had actually seen something different in the mix, you might pay attention.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Volt marketing is similar to Tesla's: almost none. Word of mouth advertising is carrying the day and confirming (or guaranteeing) that Volt remains a niche car. After Bolt hits I will be surprised if there is a Gen 3 Volt. Showroom traffic will zoom upward in late fall and buyers will end up choosing Bolt or Malibu Hybrid.
I owned a Gen 2 Corvair in the mid- 60's.(I am old) GM knew as early as 1966 that the end was near--for the same kind of marketing reasons that Volt faces now. Sales diminished in a death spiral thru 1969. Sure hope I'm wrong about the future of Volt. Own it and love it.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
OP, find another dealer who supports Volts!

Volt marketing is similar to Tesla's: almost none. Word of mouth advertising is carrying the day and confirming (or guaranteeing) that Volt remains a niche car. After Bolt hits I will be surprised if there is a Gen 3 Volt. Showroom traffic will zoom upward in late fall and buyers will end up choosing Bolt or Malibu Hybrid.
I owned a Gen 2 Corvair in the mid- 60's.(I am old) GM knew as early as 1966 that the end was near--for the same kind of marketing reasons that Volt faces now. Sales diminished in a death spiral thru 1969. Sure hope I'm wrong about the future of Volt. Own it and love it.
I wish I could see one Volt commercial that isn't an attack ad or comparison...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was cross shopping the Volt vs several other small compacts (Civic/Impreza/Golf). The Honda dealer was trying to sh** talk the volt and said it was electric, and that since it has a battery if I don't plug it in it won't run. That said -- we just finished test driving a volt that had a dead battery (the ACC car they just got in yesterday so I will give them a break on it). So either they were dishonestly misleading me or people in the industry don't even know what the Volt was. That said, they barely knew their own cars. This was my second Volt test drive, and to be honest the first time I test drove one it was almost in jest but I was completely blown away with how quiet and peppy the car was. Now I am scouring for the best deal in California/Washington on an ACC volt to trade my M3 in on.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My local dealer is equally "proud" of a 2014 they've had longer than I've had mine. I asked about it before I purchased and they were happy to quote full MSRP as they did six months later for a friend of mine. At that time market prices were more than $6-8K under MSRP.

The car is now a demo that doesn't appear to be for sale after 2+ years, being shuttled around by the service staff.

They haven't yet dropped their Volt service, but aren't selling any Gen 2's either. It's a shame that so few dealers get it and some just never will.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
My local dealer is equally "proud" of a 2014 they've had longer than I've had mine. I asked about it before I purchased and they were happy to quote full MSRP as they did six months later for a friend of mine. At that time market prices were more than $6-8K under MSRP.

The car is now a demo that doesn't appear to be for sale after 2+ years, being shuttled around by the service staff.

They haven't yet dropped their Volt service, but aren't selling any Gen 2's either. It's a shame that so few dealers get it and some just never will.
IIRC, only 2/3rds of Chevy dealers are certified Volt dealers.

How many of those certified Volt dealers that actually make an effort to stock and sell Volts? Probably a lot less.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Perhaps I'm missing the point of the thread. Does the OP want another dealer recommendation or not?
Sounds to me like he was just venting...Sounds like he was happy with a dealer who would service his Volt and provide him a Volt as a loaner...Now that's no longer the case and he's disappointed...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Perhaps I'm missing the point of the thread. Does the OP want another dealer recommendation or not?
No I do not. Bacardi is right in his post above.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ah, we've got a 65 Corvair Monza Conv and will take the Volt to our Corvair Club event today....good comparison of the Corvair and Volt marketing. I also hope the Volt makes it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts