1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
It's a shame most people just don't understand how good the Volt paradigm really is. There's a reason why Volt owners are amount g the happiest car owners on Earth.

If you want to see a good part of the study, you can go to this link and find it by clicking on the third link in the list, then click again on the preview of the paper. The preview shows the first five pages.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?166594-2016-Volt-SAE-free-paper-previews

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Folks here have known this for a while. :)

Cold engine starts are way worse polluters than running a low-smog engine continuously (to a point).

The study didn't count ERDTT and maintenance runs. I guess these are rare enough to not count.

Noticing that we get well above EPA range as a group is significant in that the next gen Volt will be well above 50AER for a lot of drivers.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
errr. i3? As yet, the only vehicle that qualifies under CARB as a BEVx (though I will add the BEVx is an abomination of a classification that has neutered the i3, and should be abandoned).

Volt/Ampera is a better long distance car than the i3, though.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
errr. i3? As yet, the only vehicle that qualifies under CARB as a BEVx (though I will add the BEVx is an abomination of a classification that has neutered the i3, and should be abandoned).

..and much better looking and easier for the rear passengers to get in and out. I haven't seen a Volt but I did see a BMW i3 up close next to my Regal (which, BTW, is much better looking and has five leather seats), and the i3 is ugly!!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
..and much better looking and easier for the rear passengers to get in and out. I haven't seen a Volt but I did see a BMW i3 up close next to my Regal (which, BTW, is much better looking and has five leather seats), and the i3 is ugly!!
Fair points, but not really a justification to keep it out of an academic study.

Q&A session;
"Excuse me, could you explain how your research group decided which cars to include in your study, and which to exclude?"
"We excluded any that were fugly, and included the ones we liked getting into."

·
2,358 Posts
This is a paper written by GM and focuses on why the Volt is better, which it is. I agree the REx should have been included as well, although it would need an asterisk because the size of the range extender limits its utility.

As it is it lays out the benefits of EREV (Volt, ELR and REx) clearly.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
although it would need an asterisk because the size of the range extender limits its utility.
That's because of the daft BEVx category requirements, which stipulate that the REX range cannot exceed the battery range.

Doh!

CARB blew itself in the foot with that nonsense - look what they did, a manufacturer went and had the stupidity to make them one just like that!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
New 2014-15 Volts can be purchased for less than a new Prius and here in Oregon 0% interest for 72 months. There are a few new Volts here at dealers in the Portland Oregon area for less than $29,000 before fed tax credit and of course 0% interest for 72 months, what a deal....

·
Registered
333 Posts
New 2014-15 Volts can be purchased for less than a new Prius and here in Oregon 0% interest for 72 months. There are a few new Volts here at dealers in the Portland Oregon area for less than $29,000 before fed tax credit and of course 0% interest for 72 months, what a deal....
Seeing similar prices in the east as well. A Columbus, OH dealer currently has four 2014 Volts advertised under $27,000 before the federal tax credit and state tax rebate (currently $2k in PA). I don't know what states qualify for the the 0%/72 month financing, but a brand new volt for under $18,000! And no stressful negotiation required... I absolutely agree... what an incredible deal!

http://www.coughlinpataskala.com/se...defined&features=&hwympg1=&hwympg2=&mileage2=

1 - 13 of 13 Posts