GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
52 miles. Generation 1 Volt. Full charge, over-inflate the tires a little bit, an early June morning after a spring rain when the road is slightly slick. 70 degrees outside temperature.

I think it's doable.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I hope those high pressures don't cause any grief in those slick conditions. If the roads are quiet and you don't get hounded by tailgaters, you should do it easily.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I think rain will actually hurt over dry conditions because the tires have to push away the water. And for me to approach 50 mile of range in a gen 1, I have to drive like a grandpa less than 50 mph. I've visited Boston (my daughter lives there) and there's a reason for the term Massholes. I don't think you can achieve 52 miles of range driving with the traffic without really passing off other drivers.

For the first 2 years of my volt ownership I've tried playing the EV range game trying everything to maximize range. I was driving like a grandpa taking much longer to get to my destination in the name of fuel economy. After that long experiment, I have now reverted to putting the car into drive, driving it as I normally would any ice car up to the speed limit, and happy to get 85 mpg and about 35 miles of EV range on my daily commute.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
... get hounded by tailgaters, you should do it easily.
As opposed to what? Suddenly driving a 38 MPG hybrid? That's not such a bad consequence !!!

I suppose you gotz to find your fun anyway you can...!
But hypermiling in an EREV just to pinch some watts??? The savings won't buy you a pack of gum.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As opposed to what? Suddenly driving a 38 MPG hybrid? That's not such a bad consequence !!!

I suppose you gotz to find your fun anyway you can...!
But hypermiling in an EREV just to pinch some watts??? The savings won't buy you a pack of gum.
Have to be done at 2 AM on a Sunday morning or something.

This wouldn't be a regular thing. Just to feel like Charles Lindbergh for a moment...

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Have to be done at 2 AM on a Sunday morning or something.

This wouldn't be a regular thing. Just to feel like Charles Lindbergh for a moment...
Well, Ari C demonstrated at 80+ mile EV run pumping and gliding for 4 hours in the Washington Redskins football stadium parking lot between 20-30 mph, but again, what's the point other to demonstrate some hypermiling craziness. I'd just drive it at the speed limit.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
... Just to feel like Charles Lindbergh for a moment...
Only with Lindbergh, if he misjudged his energy he went swimming.

With you, you might feel the slight vibration of a gas engine coming online.

Do this sort of thing in a Spark EV, then we can talk about adventure !!

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Only with Lindbergh, if he misjudged his energy he went swimming.

With you, you might feel the slight vibration of a gas engine coming online.

Do this sort of thing in a Spark EV, then we can talk about adventure !!
Whereas he could just get rear-ended...:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts