GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.wsj.com/articles/gms-chevy-bolt-ev-not-widely-available-until-spring-1479413234

Eh, not exactly the best news for those not in CA/OR wanting to get one early next year.

General Motors Co.’s first long-range electric car won’t be made widely available for several months, with the auto maker planning to sell the Chevrolet Bolt in California and Oregon in coming weeks to meet its commitment to put it on sale in 2016.

GM has said its $30,000 Bolt will be on sale in the 2016 calendar year, a target that qualifies the car for certain product awards and allows the company to say its car hits the market well in advance of a rival product being developed by Tesla Motors Inc. GM spokeswoman Michelle Malcho said Thursday the car is expected to meet high interest, but will be offered in limited quantities in 2017.

“We are focusing on this year getting the cars ready for customers…and doing it the right way,” Ms. Malcho said. GM has seen highest demand for its Volt plug-in hybrid car in California since it went on sale in 2010, with 40% of all Volt sales coming from that state.

Deliveries to other markets will be at a “slow flow” pace, she said.

Sounds more and more like GM is delivering the Bolt to CA and OR before the end of the year primarily to fulfill previous promises of "by the end of 2016"....in addition to bragging rights ( :p Tesla) and being eligible for major car awards this year. The fact some options won't be available till later in the year (illuminated charge port, in-car NAV for example), seems like the Bolt isn't 100% ready, but it's 98.5% ready and being launched to make good on their word.

If anyone did not already put in a deposit in at a CA/OR dealer, fat chance you'll get one anytime soon it seems.
I have a deposit in, so at least I should be good for this year. :)

Also, the much rumored Lyft/Maven Bolts will only number a few hundred at most, so only a fraction of the initial production will actually be used for ride sharing.

A small batch of Bolts—a few hundred at most—will be used in the fleets working for ride-hailing service Lyft Inc.’s, a partner of GM, Ms. Malcho said.

·
Registered
651 Posts
You're probably one of the first in the area (that I have heard) that has done this, so please let us all know your progress and hopefully we will see you at an event next year.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're probably one of the first in the area (that I have heard) that has done this, so please let us all know your progress and hopefully we will see you at an event next year.
The Bolt will be the wife's daily driver....but I'll see if I can "Bolt" out for an event or 2 in the future. :p

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I'm getting the feeling that GM is holding back on electrification. To my mined there is no reason that GM can't make volume production if it wanted to. Just review all the other new cars it was able to pump out in years past and compare that to what is happening now. My take-away is that GM doesn't want to impact its margins from gas vehicles. JMHO.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I never expected full blast production from the starting gate. Doesn't usually work that way. As they start production they ensure they're solving unexpected issues. It happened that way with the Volt 1.0 and with the Volt 2.0 and probably every other new vehicle as well. Making Bolts available in CA and OR also makes sense. CA is the big market and every car sold there nets 4 ZEV credits.

I think the car is finished. It's also usually the case that some options aren't available at launch. With ICE vehicles it's frequently an engine choice plus some options. At least with BEVs it's only the options! Like with just about any product, you have a date and desired options and time, and you have to decide when the product is "complete enough" to release.

Can't see how this is "holding back on electrification". Other things like trying to gut CAFE may be a different matter, but this roll out seems, if anything, faster than usual.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I have waited since 2009 for the Chevy Bolt, probably making me the member with the longest wait to get a Volt. Waiting another year for the Bolt EV is just extending my patience.

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
This isn't about GM not supporting the Bolt. This is about GM going the extra measure to not shoot themselves in the foot. The Bolt is a brand new vehicle on a brand new platform, doing things no GM vehicle has ever done before. All kinds of things can go wrong, from mass manufacturing through technical issues through marketing and sales through dealer service that haven't been anticipated. Everyone in the system is learning.

The public's perception of the Bolt and its long-term success will be hugely-influenced by the experiences (and social media posts and reviews) of the early adopters. That means slow initial builds and quality check after check after check. GM would be foolish to have an immediate national release and start cranking them out by the 1000's each week.

We will see the same slow roll-out of the Tesla Model 3. If it ever actually makes it to-market, I would be surprised if Tesla produces more than 50-75K Model 3's in their first full year of retail production.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I'm getting the feeling that GM is holding back on electrification. To my mined there is no reason that GM can't make volume production if it wanted to. Just review all the other new cars it was able to pump out in years past and compare that to what is happening now. My take-away is that GM doesn't want to impact its margins from gas vehicles. JMHO.
GM has volume produced the Gen2 Volt and guess what, as of the beginning of the month there were 6,000+ sitting on dealer lots...So if we want to say "GM doesn't want to impact its margins" production isn't the problem, rather the balance platform/feature set/options/price...So many what if scenarios; GM took the ICE Spark and created the Spark EV...The Bolt EV started out on the Spark/Sonic platform but evolved into it's own platform...It's no long based on the Sonic but it somewhat looks like the Sonic hatchback...If GM electrified the Sonic hatchback, used the same non-aluminum body and didn't bother maximizing space, could it get the around the same range but under a $30K MSRP would it have sold better? We'll never know...

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
According to some guy on Reddit who claims to work at the Orion factory, they are making about 100 Bolts a day at the moment (not sure if i'm allowed to cross link, but here goes: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoltEV/comments/5c8zpj/are_there_any_signs_that_gm_will_throttle_back/da49ouh/)
So if they started production ~24 October, and assuming 22 working days a month, that means they will have cranked out around 2,000 units by the end of today.

Someone needs to drive by the Orion factory and take a photo of the overflow lot. :p

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I think the car is finished. It's also usually the case that some options aren't available at launch. With ICE vehicles it's frequently an engine choice plus some options. At least with BEVs it's only the options! Like with just about any product, you have a date and desired options and time, and you have to decide when the product is "complete enough" to release.

Can't see how this is "holding back on electrification". Other things like trying to gut CAFE may be a different matter, but this roll out seems, if anything, faster than usual.
Gen 2 Volt shipped without ACC and a bunch of related features. Gen 1 volt shipped TWO MODEL YEARS without streaming audio, a instant-read power meter or Hold Mode. Shikata ga nai.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whoa, Rick at Keyes Chevy just told me he has another 70 allocations on top of the first 78. Maybe still an outside shot to get a Bolt this year if you put in a deposit stat! Probably looking at Jan as a more realistic bet though.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Gen 2 Volt shipped without ACC and a bunch of related features.
Do we know for a fact the Gen2 was suppose to launch with ACC and it got delayed? Also not so sure about the related features...AA was one, there some new screen, MY17 ICE engine we were told would be from the U.S. but for a long time they were rolling off the assembly lines with the made in Mexico engines...

My best guess was it was decided AFTER the MY16 launch would be limited to add ACC...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
This doesn't impact my Bolt purchase... even if I could go down the local Chevy dealer today and drive out with a Bolt tonight I wouldn't.

1) I need to see cold weather impact on range.
2) For tax planning/Fed credit- I need to wait till 2017 to make the purchase.
3) I don't fancy putting a brand spanking shiny new car through a long nasty, salted-road, NY winter if I can avoid it.

April/May 2017 has always been my earliest purchase date for the Bolt from day 1.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Do we know for a fact the Gen2 was suppose to launch with ACC and it got delayed? Also not so sure about the related features...AA was one, there some new screen, MY17 ICE engine we were told would be from the U.S. but for a long time they were rolling off the assembly lines with the made in Mexico engines...

My best guess was it was decided AFTER the MY16 launch would be limited to add ACC...
In early September 2015 before G2 volts were delivered, GM rep kevin kelly announced AA, ACC and citron green.

“The 2017 model year will have one new color from the Disney Tomorrowland feature of the Volt, Citron Green Metallic. And, adaptive cruise control and Android Auto will also be made available for 2017 model year Volts.”

In my mind, GM pushed the Volts out a bit early becuase of the simple fact that volts were advertised to have AA then they changed and said it would be available later. Some had to wait 6 months to get AA. I believe they obviously had plans for ACC but not until MY 2017. GM had to leave some incentives for people to buy the next MY. Wonder what the MY2018 will bring to both cars?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
In early September 2015 before G2 volts were delivered, GM rep kevin kelly announced AA, ACC and citron green.

“The 2017 model year will have one new color from the Disney Tomorrowland feature of the Volt, Citron Green Metallic. And, adaptive cruise control and Android Auto will also be made available for 2017 model year Volts.”

In my mind, GM pushed the Volts out a bit early becuase of the simple fact that volts were advertised to have AA then they changed and said it would be available later. Some had to wait 6 months to get AA. I believe they obviously had plans for ACC but not until MY 2017. GM had to leave some incentives for people to buy the next MY. Wonder what the MY2018 will bring to both cars?
Was many were saying was that AA was available for the 7" screens but not 8" screens, could be Androids fault, who knows...

For the MY18, 7.2KW charging, maybe even an DCFC option (remember the Gen2 Volt is going joining the Bolt EV with Lyft/Maven and 3.6KW essentially turns the Volt into a Cruze) and darkened "braces", the ELR/CT6 PHEV ability to accelerate using both EV and ICE...Maybe the Bolt EVs cameras/rear mirror and C1 standard/optional on the LT...

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
This just what I have stated in the past.

No surprises here.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I wonder what they mean by "slow." Some people anticipated GM's producing 60,000 units in the first year, so slow by comparison might be "only" 30,000 units. I imagine GM is a bit gun shy based on the response to the Volt, the current oil glut, and the President elect. It appears as though the forces of the universe are aligning against EVs, but I personally feel that things are not exactly as they appear.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts