GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a thread on the GM Inside News forum discussing this topic. Apparently GM has listed the Bolt as a truck. The discussion revolves around the idea that this was done to lower the CAFE numbers for GM trucks. Trucks are where GM makes a lot of money, so more Bolts means GM can continue to sell their large trucks and still meet CAFE truck requirements. I guess this is another reason to make the Bolt a small CUV instead of a snazy sedan like the Model 3.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
pure politics. I read something about that a while ago in Forbes or Money or one of those.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
The "too early" internal fleet ordering doc had the word truck at the top, and other anomalies.

They listed with the EPA as a car.

·
Administrator
21,036 Posts
The "too early" internal fleet ordering doc had the word truck at the top, and other anomalies.

They listed with the EPA as a car.
So it's a truckar. :)

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Technically it is being classified as an MPV (multi purpose vehicle) which is not any different than mini-vans or other small SUV/CUVs

But the whole argument with respect to CAFE is moot

CAFE stands for CORPORATE AVERAGE fuel economy which is relevant to ALL cars and trucks UNDER 8600lbs GVWR (the Bolt is not a 3/4tom truck! ;))

Since it's a corporate average it is all based on sales volume of any particular nameplate to impact it's MPG weighting within the corporate average that is used to establish any penalties.

WOT

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
GM has always marketed the Bolt EV as a crossover. And it carries the same designations as the Chevrolet Trax with the various agencies. It just so happens that the Bolt EV is under the "Truck" tab in the fleet order guide (just like all their other "crossovers").

On the GM Canada site the Bolt EV is listed under the crossovers and SUV's tab.

The problem is within the automotive world there really is no such thing as a "crossover". The EPA calls it a small wagon. The NHTSA will likely categorise it as a light truck.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
CAFE changed from a binary car/light truck classification to using one that is based on vehicle footprint. So a Bolt EV won't help them sell more big trucks (maybe it would help Jeep with the wrangler, which is in a terrible spot for a footprint sized calculation). Ironically, this caused manufacturers to get rid of small footprint SUVs/trucks that get okay mileage, because they could make them larger and the requirement for MPG decreased (bye-bye FJ Cruiser :( )

The Bolt EV will help them with some of the compact SUV sales.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I mentioned previously that at a recent Chevrolet ride event, it was interesting that the Bolt EV is listed under the SUV category on their iPad signup process.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Technically it is being classified as an MPV (multi purpose vehicle) which is not any different than mini-vans or other small SUV/CUVs

But the whole argument with respect to CAFE is moot

CAFE stands for CORPORATE AVERAGE fuel economy which is relevant to ALL cars and trucks UNDER 8600lbs GVWR (the Bolt is not a 3/4tom truck! ;))

Since it's a corporate average it is all based on sales volume of any particular nameplate to impact it's MPG weighting within the corporate average that is used to establish any penalties.
So for vehicles under 8500 pounds the MPG target is based on the wheelbase X track and the categorization as truck or passenger car matters not. Is this what you're saying?

I thought that starting in MY 2017 a manufacturer selling a BEV could claim two sales, with that number phasing out over time. Likewise I thought that a PHEV was treated as 1.7 sales, again phasing out over time. Do you know if this is right?

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
(the Bolt is not a 3/4tom truck! ;))

WOT
Oh man, you're toying with me. Please make a 3/4 ton truck with a bolt drivetrain, better yet two of them, an electric motor in front and in the back for AWD greatness.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts