GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many others on this site, I have moaned at Chevrolet's missteps in advertising for this unique car. I went to the chevrolet.com web site today and I saw that they had this headline on the volt site, The Best of Both Worlds. I think that they are finally getting closer to teaching the public why this car is so special with a catchy, memorable slogan. Now all they have to do is add another sentence and develop a complete tag line that can replace the ineffective and often cryptic ones I have heard them use on NPR. How about something like: "Chevy Volt, the Best of Both Worlds, all electric around town, serial gasoline hybrid for long trips". Alternatively: "Chevy Volt, the Best of Both Worlds, all electric for your daily commute, gasoline hybrid with no range anxiety for long trips". People can word smith these a bit but it gets the gist of what the car is about and educates the public that this is an EREV without using those unfamiliar terms.

Motown1999

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Yes, when comparing EV's, many articles will leave out the Volt so the author can complain that EV's are range limited and unsuitable for longer trips. When discussing hybrids, they leave out the Volt so they can claim 40 MPG or whatever is great performance.

The Volt is indeed the best of both worlds. And often ignored in both by those with an agenda.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Oh, I saw the title and thought I heard of that before......

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
It is well past time for Google to have added Clingon and Romulan to Google Translate.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
And if you think about it.. Its also the worst of both worlds. As far as EVs go it has pretty limited range. And as far as hybrids go it has mediocre fuel economy. But put them together and it works!

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
And if you think about it.. Its also the worst of both worlds. As far as EVs go it has pretty limited range. And as far as hybrids go it has mediocre fuel economy. But put them together and it works!
Well, you can use the same principle with hybrids: take a propulsion system with a large, heavy, energy storage device that can only hold about 2% of the energy in a gallon of gasoline and combine it with a gasoline engine, which is inherently inefficient except within a very narrow set of parameters. Result: improvement in overall efficiency of 33% to 50%. Synergy!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Yes, it's a good slogan - lots of things they can do with it. Create a series of ads with some focusing on CD mode highlights, some on CS mode's. I have an idea for a good CS mode ad. The other night I was listening to the radio or TV, I can't remember which, but it was a Prius ad bragging about their 50 mpg capability. I thought to myself, that's crazy - I'm at 110mpg lifetime in my Volt, and that puts me behind a hell of a lot of other owners..... then it came to me <light-bulb> --- talk about the Volt's low need for gas - combine flash edits of owners testifying "174 mpg.... 110 mpg....etc." mixed in with a voiceover and a (professionally staged) mother taking her kid to school, or some other typical everyday task people take their cars to do.

A bit out-of-the-box kind of commercial for the Volt in that it directly highlights its gas usage, which I think has been avoided out of fear of bad reception. However, gas economy is something everybody thinks about, and so it's about time GM stops dancing around an issue that the Volt is heads and shoulders above all other cars in real world experience.

Time to start bragging about how little gas it uses!

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Just show the Dawn tv ad and the oiled-up ducks and penguins (why are there ducks and penguins living together?) - then cut to the Volt and say "you want less of that? then buy one of these".

I'm at 90 mpg lifetime (finally) and am near the bottom 20% of the Volt owners out there in terms of lifetime mpg. The 42 hwy mpg that I get is well north of the 26-27 mpg I used to get in my prior car (V6 3.0L Mazda 6).

·
Registered
412 Posts
Better advertising

A better Volt slogan:

We've got three cars on the moon, but you can buy one at your Chevy dealer.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Let's see 39,000 miles and 13.8 gallons burned. I used more gasoline in my Leaf blower over the weekend than my Volt did for the last 11,000 miles.

Leaf blower: 11,000 leaves blown 0.5 gallons.
Volt: 11,000 miles driven 0.1 gallons since 6/9/2013.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yes.

One of the best I've heard yet.

I also like the "electric car in-town/hybrid on long road trips" angle.

Especially the "hybrid" part. The Volt doesn't simply run on gas on long road trips. It is a hybrid, that uses regeneration, start/stop and all the good things that people expect from a hybrid.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yes, it's a good slogan - lots of things they can do with it. Create a series of ads with some focusing on CD mode highlights, some on CS mode's. I have an idea for a good CS mode ad. The other night I was listening to the radio or TV, I can't remember which, but it was a Prius ad bragging about their 50 mpg capability. I thought to myself, that's crazy - I'm at 110mpg lifetime in my Volt, and that puts me behind a hell of a lot of other owners..... then it came to me <light-bulb> --- talk about the Volt's low need for gas - combine flash edits of owners testifying "174 mpg.... 110 mpg....etc." mixed in with a voiceover and a (professionally staged) mother taking her kid to school, or some other typical everyday task people take their cars to do.

A bit out-of-the-box kind of commercial for the Volt in that it directly highlights its gas usage, which I think has been avoided out of fear of bad reception. However, gas economy is something everybody thinks about, and so it's about time GM stops dancing around an issue that the Volt is heads and shoulders above all other cars in real world experience.

This has potential....

Full screen..... What's "YOUR" lifetime MPG in the Chevy Volt?

Answers could include...

108 MPG
162 MPG
245 MPG
520 MPG
2511 MPG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts