GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as I have speculated, Tesla will miss its target price for the Model 3. Just like the rest of their products, all are now overpriced than first intended. All their products have been delayed (for fans, of course, they're never delayed, just the goal posts have been moved), and have been overpriced (again, justified by fans because new gee-whiz thingymajiggs have been added).

The future looks brighter for the here and now Chevy Bolt compared to Tesla Model 3. Fans will have to cough up more dough for the model 3 after Tesla has made money from their puny reservations.

http://learnbonds.com/132289/tesla-model-3-sticker-shock/

·
Registered
261 Posts
Maybe just opinion, but seems like well reasoned opinion to me. I want to see Tesla succeed but I have to admit I'm much more confident in GM's ability to deliver on its promises with the Bolt, than I am Tesla with the 3.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Film at 11... cars with options cost more than base/stock, discover the harrowing truth that more stuff costs more money.

That said, I hope Tesla can come in close to their predictions, until then, just speculation...hell I'm still waiting to get a chance to look a Bolt so it's all vaporware to me until I can see it :) lousy non-carb state MN, grrrrrr....

In the meanwhile, will just wait until the right BEV comes along that can wiggle their way into my pocketbook.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Musk has already said that the first Model 3 would be first released in higher trim levels, by which he meant higher priced levels. More generally, taking costs out of a car is not easy. The average Model S costs Tesla about $75K, so bringing that down to $45K would be an achievement. Plus you need a margin.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
There is no free lunch.

Can Tesla make a car that seats 5 adults and has 250+ hp, and has 215 miles of EPA range? Yes. They already have one and it's $69,200 if you want black.

Can they drop the price $34,000 in 12 months? Guess we will see.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
That's OK. I still have my reservation in and when the time comes I will make decision. No hurry. My Volt still has lots of life remaining. I'm not the least interested in a crossover so a Bolt is not in the cards anywhichway. If GM puts the Bolt drive in a Volt that would make it more interesting to me.

As for how much Model 3? As much as 250 shares of Tesla, at that time, will buy me. I only paid $16/share right after the IPO so...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The Tesla Model 3 is a smaller car than the S, my guess is 4 will be marginally comfortable. The BMW 545i I test drove was much roomier inside than the Model S, front and rear (without the glass roof the Model S has the same rear headroom as the Volt, you can lean forward a bit in the S to get a little more, but it is still terrible). My pont is I think Model 3 will not be so comfortable in the rear.

I think they won't really sell the 35k model for at least 2 years from production start, or maybe just a few to say they did. My guess is most will be 45 to 55k initially. Autopilot, a larger battery upgrade, some other sound and interior upgrades, etc.

·
Banned
301 Posts
Musk has already said that the first Model 3 would be first released in higher trim levels, by which he meant higher priced levels. More generally, taking costs out of a car is not easy. The average Model S costs Tesla about $75K, so bringing that down to $45K would be an achievement. Plus you need a margin.
DonC,

Did you write that article? It does seem like a lot of clickbait based on nothing more than opinion. Even the OP's headline of "The average Model 3 to be priced way higher than originally targeted" makes it seem like it is the truth and not just an opinion.

Also DonC please show us where Elon said the first Model 3 were going to be released were going to be the higher trim levels? Or is this just another BS line coming from you? Because everywhere I could find said it was going to be released in this order:

California first and those that already own a Tesla. Remember Tesla doesn't even know what you are going to order until they give you your slot and chance to customize it. As they release more to the remaining States existing Tesla customers will get priority then it will be first come first served.

The fact that the Tesla model 3 has so many options that the Bolt doesn't is why the price can be higher if you choose it to be.
If the Model 3 owner chooses to go with the exact same base model as the Bolt they will end up paying less for it. They will also have the ability to quick charge without paying extra and the base Model 3 comes with 8 cameras and sonars making it able to see and handle more safety related situations than the Bolt can and all for a lower price.

Now if you want to add an autopilot that will cost extra. If you want to add 4 wheel drive that will cost extra. If you want a panoramic roof that will cost extra. If you want to add autonomous driving that will cost extra. If you want to add any of those to the Bolt that will cost you nothing as those are not option available.

Also and here is the best part. Aren't the vast majority of the current Bolt order optioned with the Premier package and quick charger? This means the average cost for the Bolt is not $37,495 but closer to $43,000. Funny I don't see any headlines proclaiming the Bolt is priced way higher than originally targeted?

·
Registered
347 Posts
There's quite a bit of spread between the lowest priced Model S and the promised price of the Model 3, I think $35K to $56K. That leads me to believe the base Model 3 will significantly decontented. My guess, is the base model will have a battery similar in size to the mid level Model 3 but with capacity reduced by software to 120-150 miles. I also think Supercharger access will be an option as will many of the software bases capabilities such as the autonomous driving stuff and power output. My guess is the average Model 3 will sell in the mid $40's, which still is nkot bad.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
So the average price of an ordered Model 3 will be ~42-45? That's because people like ME won't be getting the $35k model. My $65k+ optioned Model 3 helps to bring that average up, when surveyed about it. Clickbait like the crap the OP posted, is just to try scare off reservation holders. The $35k base price (before incentives) hasn't changed.

Can you get an optional AWD with the Bolt EV? NOPE
Can you get an optional Level 5 Autonomous driving with the Bolt EV? NOPE
Can you get POWER SEATS with the Bolt EV? NOPE
Can you get NAVIGATION with the Bolt EV? NOPE
Can you get a glass roof or panoramic moonroof on a Bolt EV? NOPE
Can you get an optional, larger battery with the Bolt EV? NOPE
Do you get the safest car in the world when you buy the Bolt EV? NOPE
Can you buy a Bolt EV in all 50 states, right out of the gate? NOPE

Gee. Maybe I should think really, really hard about choosing a Model 3 over a Bolt EV.

There's quite a bit of spread between the lowest priced Model S and the promised price of the Model 3, I think $35K to $56K. That leads me to believe the base Model 3 will significantly decontented. My guess, is the base model will have a battery similar in size to the mid level Model 3 but with capacity reduced by software to 120-150 miles. I also think Supercharger access will be an option as will many of the software bases capabilities such as the autonomous driving stuff and power output. My guess is the average Model 3 will sell in the mid $40's, which still is nkot bad.
It's actually $68k for a base Model S, now (newly ordered). This also includes all the hardware for L5 Autonomous driving and free Supercharging for the life of the car. The Model S is a much larger, full-sized car with most of its body made from aluminum and the battery pack is rather large (75-100kWh.) The Model S will be mid-sized, have a mixture of aluminum and steel components, and probably have a base battery pack of ~50kWh. Other than that, you shouldn't expect to have much decontenting done to it, compared to the Model S. The base Model S might start to have more options standard, as we get closer to the Model 3 ordering. This would help to distance the base Model S a bit from a fully optioned Model 3.

·
Banned
301 Posts
What are you talking about? 120-150 miles? Tesla has already stated it will have at least 215 miles and it will probably be better than that so I don't know how you got 120-150. The difference between the Model S and 3 will be that it is smaller, uses steel in places that used aluminum, won't have pop out door handles and as with everything the more you make of them the cheaper they become. Just the having a simpler car and using their experience from the S/X they can streamline the automation process and crank these cars out fast and cheaper. Also don't forget the Battery plant will drop the price of the battery and since the battery is a large part of the cost it would be easy to see how the prices will come down.

Then again Tesla has said the Model 3 will be a $35,000 car. If you want the base model that is how much you will pay if you want the extras you will pay more. The fact that people are actually on this forum worrying about how Tesla will do that is just sad. These same people think Chevy which will only be cranking about 20 to 30 thousand of these out a year can make money yet Tesla who only sells Electric cars and has more experience with electric cars and batteries can't.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
All of you who are planning to buy a Model 3 are forgetting that Tesla Motors has used up over half of the 200,000 vehicle allocation for the Federal tax rebate. And now they are offering a newer version of the Model S with the 60/75 kWh battery, so there will be many more sales between now and 2018, since now there are several levels of the Model S and the Model X beong offered. I am sorry to post that all of you may not get tha $7,500 rebate when you do buy your Model 3, and in conclusion will cost over $35,000 for the basic model.

So if you do want a long range American designed and produced BEV, the 2017 Chevy Bolt is the only alternative under $35,000. Or wait unti;l some Model 3 owners trade up or return their leases by 2021. Then you can get your Model 3 at the "originally announced price" or less.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
...These same people think Chevy which will only be cranking about 20 to 30 thousand of these out a year can make money yet Tesla who only sells Electric cars and has more experience with electric cars and batteries can't.
Well, for the record, they haven't "made money" yet. In how many years?
The last Q, yes!
But there are reports of shenanigans in how things are reported.

In their defense, like with so many subjects 'EV', Only Time Will Tell !

Tesla's experience with batteries so far is buying 18650 Li-Ion cells from an established supplier,, straight out of 2006.
Hopefully the huge Nevada desert plant will produce New Tech batteries.
That area has a bad EV record recently....

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Then again Tesla has said the Model 3 will be a $35,000 car. ...
And whatever Tesla Motors Marketing says is written in stone?

It is comedy that the Teslarati has been ragging on GM for not having 2017 Bolts in all 50 states by October 2016.

They seem to forget the pricing and actual delivery dates on EVERY new model Tesla Motors car. Glass house and stones.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
All of you who are planning to buy a Model 3 are forgetting that Tesla Motors has used up over half of the 200,000 vehicle allocation for the Federal tax rebate. And now they are offering a newer version of the Model S with the 60/75 kWh battery, so there will be many more sales between now and 2018, since now there are several levels of the Model S and the Model X beong offered. I am sorry to post that all of you may not get tha $7,500 rebate when you do buy your Model 3, and in conclusion will cost over $35,000 for the basic model.

So if you do want a long range American designed and produced BEV, the 2017 Chevy Bolt is the only alternative under $35,000. Or wait until some Model 3 owners trade up or return their leases by 2021. Then you can get your Model 3 at the "originally announced price" or less.
All of the US Model 3 reservation holders wouldn't be able to buy a Bolt with Federal Tax Credit. Last known number was over 360k reservations.
Last known production rate of the Bolt is 100 per day of production, and all we've heard on possible production is "over 50k".

360k/55k/year ~= 6.55 years.

Since I really want to replace my Prius in 2019, I'm willing to wait. I'd rather give my money to Tesla than GM, since Tesla is a company that's fully dedicated to long-distance BEV, sustainable energy and automated manufacturing.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Since I really want to replace my Prius in 2019, I'm willing to wait. I'd rather give my money to Tesla than GM, since Tesla is a company that's fully dedicated to long-distance BEV, sustainable energy and automated manufacturing.
But, Tesla hasn't made money yet. Any money. We, the taxpayers, are still bailing out Tesla. Let's see what happens when and if Tesla can stop sucking off of taxpayers.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
But, Tesla hasn't made money yet. Any money. We, the taxpayers, are still bailing out Tesla. Let's see what happens when and if Tesla can stop sucking off of taxpayers.
For Tesla Motors it's always hinged on Model 3/Y.

I too wish there were no tax breaks and I wish we could replace a large proportion of subsidies with pricing of negative externalities but it's not going to happen.

Note that the GM bailout had a direct cost of $11.2B. The Chrysler bailout cost $9.26B and FCA is in a precarious long-term position.

200,000 Federal Tax Credits for plug-ins cost $1.5B.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
And whatever Tesla Motors Marketing says is written in stone?

It is comedy that the Teslarati has been ragging on GM for not having 2017 Bolts in all 50 states by October 2016.

They seem to forget the pricing and actual delivery dates on EVERY new model Tesla Motors car. Glass house and stones.
Depends. Those Tesla glass tiles will probably be warrantied against stone damage. :p

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
DonC,

Did you write that article? It does seem like a lot of clickbait based on nothing more than opinion. Even the OP's headline of "The average Model 3 to be priced way higher than originally targeted" makes it seem like it is the truth and not just an opinion.

Also DonC please show us where Elon said the first Model 3 were going to be released were going to be the higher trim levels? Or is this just another BS line coming from you? Because everywhere I could find said it was going to be released in this order:

California first and those that already own a Tesla. Remember Tesla doesn't even know what you are going to order until they give you your slot and chance to customize it. As they release more to the remaining States existing Tesla customers will get priority then it will be first come first served.

The fact that the Tesla model 3 has so many options that the Bolt doesn't is why the price can be higher if you choose it to be.
If the Model 3 owner chooses to go with the exact same base model as the Bolt they will end up paying less for it. They will also have the ability to quick charge without paying extra and the base Model 3 comes with 8 cameras and sonars making it able to see and handle more safety related situations than the Bolt can and all for a lower price.

Now if you want to add an autopilot that will cost extra. If you want to add 4 wheel drive that will cost extra. If you want a panoramic roof that will cost extra. If you want to add autonomous driving that will cost extra. If you want to add any of those to the Bolt that will cost you nothing as those are not option available.

Also and here is the best part. Aren't the vast majority of the current Bolt order optioned with the Premier package and quick charger? This means the average cost for the Bolt is not $37,495 but closer to $43,000. Funny I don't see any headlines proclaiming the Bolt is priced way higher than originally targeted?
Coming to donc's defense, every Tesla product release so far required the early first folks in line to buy fully optioned cars. The Tesla model 3 will probably be no different. It's one thing to be able to buy a base model at product introduction and another to be forced to take all the options because of your placement in line.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts