GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,416 Posts
I did not really understand why they said if you travel 40 plus miles then you may want the gas only one. The plug-in hybrid appeared to be 33 miles. I'm not sure the math works out. Rough example of you working 66 miles away so 1/2 the time you are on gas.

I would still think your cost of (33 miles of electricity) + (33 miles of gas) would be < (66 miles of gas). I think this type of thing is true for the Gen I Volt and many do that (drive on both elect and gas each day but still save).

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
^ Good point. This just illustrates how completely misunderstood these kinds of vehicles are, even by the people trying to market them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
We just bought a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited 5 weeks ago. My wife drives it nearly every day shuttling the kiddies to their various activities. Probably about 40-50 miles per day. We got the Pacifica in Napa (Hanlees - a seriously WONDERFUL dealer!) and drove it 90 miles to the South Bay on Day 1. It had 7/8ths of a tank of gas on purchase. 5 weeks later we're just over 1/2 a tank left - the same tank of gas as on Day 1! That's just under 3/8ths of a tank of gas used in 5 weeks (and probably half of that on the 90-mile trek from Napa the day we bought it). The Pacifica is rated right around 33ish miles/charge, but my wife's been averaging between 38 and 40 miles per charge. And she DOES NOT nurse the electron pedal! She drives it like exactly as she did our other minivan (2009 Town & Country Limited) except that she plugs in when she's at the house - that's all the "understanding" required to use this thing as it was meant to be used. That T&C was used for the same tasks and consumed nearly $300 of gas/month at an average of just over 15MPG! At 12 cents/KWh for the Pacifica Hyrid, this is pretty huge "fuel" savings! Additionally, it's rated at around 32ish MPG combined on the gas motor, but in the short amount of time the ICE has been in actual use, we're seeing upwards of 35-36MPG. And this is mid-winter! Again, not bad at all, and WAY better than the T&C. With the Fed/CA/PG&E rebates totaling $9500, the Pacifica Hybrid Limited is roughly the same price as the average new car in the US. Yet in terms of combined efficiency, utility, and flat-out luxury, I don't see anything remotely close to it on the market today. My daily commuter (Volt Premier) and the Pacifica Hybrid are, I feel, the two best vehicles for sale today in their respective classes. And if you want to stick it to OPEC, both of these fine models are a great way to go about it! I've put ~13K miles on the 2015 Volt, and have had to pump ~8 gallons of gas into it in the 2.5 years since purchase. How do you even think about going back to full-time dino juice when these two vehicles are available today at very affordable prices, and in the very near future, will be joined by dozens of great competitors in the market?

·
Super Moderator
6,416 Posts
<snip>
My wife drives it nearly every day shuttling the kiddies to their various activities.
Probably about 40-50 miles per day.
<snip>
The Pacifica is rated right around 33ish miles/charge, but my wife's been averaging between
38 and 40 miles per charge. And she DOES NOT nurse the electron pedal!
<snp>
Nice case in point. Excellent real-world feedback!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I really hope the Pacific is a big success so that others will follow. I almost bought one, but went with the Volt instead because was "proven" and available at the time.

·
8,680 Posts
I did not really understand why they said if you travel 40 plus miles then you may want the gas only one. The plug-in hybrid appeared to be 33 miles. I'm not sure the math works out. Rough example of you working 66 miles away so 1/2 the time you are on gas.

I would still think your cost of (33 miles of electricity) + (33 miles of gas) would be < (66 miles of gas). I think this type of thing is true for the Gen I Volt and many do that (drive on both elect and gas each day but still save).
It's worse than that:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=38491&id=37292&id=38542

According to the EPA data, the Hybrid gets 32 mpg on gas only in combined testing - after using any electric range. Both the ICE only versions get 22 miles per gallon.

If you never plug it in and drive on a cross country trip, the Hybrid version should only use 2/3 of the fuel the ICE version does (though that's actually a poor example because it'd presumably mostly be highway driving where I expect the gap is closer.)

There's never a crossover point where gas only makes more sense, because the Hybrid always uses less gas even if there's no more wall power involved. All the reviews I've read said the driving qualities were better, too.

The only argument for the ICE version is if you want some features offered only on the ICE version...

·
2,358 Posts
saghost said:
The only argument for the ICE version is if you want some features offered only on the ICE version...
That's right. There are a few significant omissions. The PacHy doesn't offer 8-passenger seating, Stow-n-Go second row, nor is it rated to tow (although I'm sure it can tow something.)

We've had ours for 2 months now. Very pleased with it so far, although it's burning more gas in the winter than I was expecting. New owners who aren't familiar with "ERDTT" are really upset, haha.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's worse than that:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=38491&id=37292&id=38542

According to the EPA data, the Hybrid gets 32 mpg on gas only in combined testing - after using any electric range. Both the ICE only versions get 22 miles per gallon.

If you never plug it in and drive on a cross country trip, the Hybrid version should only use 2/3 of the fuel the ICE version does (though that's actually a poor example because it'd presumably mostly be highway driving where I expect the gap is closer.)

There's never a crossover point where gas only makes more sense, because the Hybrid always uses less gas even if there's no more wall power involved. All the reviews I've read said the driving qualities were better, too.

There is ZERO argument for the ICE version! All of the features of the ICE version are available in the Hybrid Limited, and most of them are available in the Hybrid Touring. The Hybrids, once you figure in the Fed/CA/Utilities rebates and credits (yours may vary depending on location of course), don't cost a whole lot more than the ICE versions given similar equipment levels. But the fuel savings are vast! The Hybrid returns roughly 50% better MPG combined than the ICEs (~22MPG vs ~33MPG) and if your driving is generally at the national average of just under 40 miles/day, you can end up burning so little gas that it becomes stale in your tank! Heck, that's why I burned nearly all of the gas my Volt has used the past 2.5 years:(

Bottom line: anyone looking for a minivan (don't hide - we know you're out there!) would be acting very irresponsibly by NOT buying the Pacifica Hybrid. Don't give me the "gotta be a friggin' Toyota or Honda" crapola - the Pacifica Hybrid flat-out FLOGS those pretender minivans in every measure. Man-up and buy your family the minivan that all other minivans aspire to:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts