GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I wonder which goes further on a charge. A Bolt, or the Kia. I'm betting all things being equal, the Bolt. Hyundai/Kia have been cited a few times for putting their thumb on the EPA scales to nudge out a competitor.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Saw one plugged into my usual charging spot last fall here in Canada.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The front plug-in would be a no-go for me as I back my Volt into the garage and unless the Soul is half a foot shorter the garage door is too close to the car's nose.

·
8,680 Posts
The front plug-in would be a no-go for me as I back my Volt into the garage and unless the Soul is half a foot shorter the garage door is too close to the car's nose.
Actually...

I don't know if the 2020 will be different, but the 2019 Kia Soul is ten inches shorter than a first generation Volt, and seventeen inches shorter than a 2019 Volt.

They've always favored a very boxy look. I'm not sure I'm a fan, but it does make them fit in smaller places...

·
8,680 Posts
I wonder which goes further on a charge. A Bolt, or the Kia. I'm betting all things being equal, the Bolt. Hyundai/Kia have been cited a few times for putting their thumb on the EPA scales to nudge out a competitor.
Per the EPA data, it'll probably depend a lot on where/how you drive:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=41235&id=40585&id=40520&id=41188

All these cars have almost the same city cycle rating, all have similar amounts of usable energy. The highway cycles are pretty different, however, likely driven by aerodynamics. The Bolt is almost ten percent more efficient on the highway than the Soul (and the 3 several percent beyond that.)

If the EPA data is right, the Soul will go a little further in the city, but the Bolt will go significantly further on the highway, where the range is likely to actually matter.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Actually...

I don't know if the 2020 will be different, but the 2019 Kia Soul is ten inches shorter than a first generation Volt, and seventeen inches shorter than a 2019 Volt.

They've always favored a very boxy look. I'm not sure I'm a fan, but it does make them fit in smaller places...
I'm not a fan of the look either but good to know. Btw, I think you're math may be off as the Gen2 can't be 7 inches longer than a Gen1. I've had them both in the same spot in the garage and I'd say 2-3 inches max.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The Soul has a smoother pan under the car. Therefore it has less drag at high speed,

·
8,680 Posts
The Soul has a smoother pan under the car. Therefore it has less drag at high speed,
Not enough less to beat the box shape, per the EPA data. The Soul is the least efficient of the class at freeway speeds.

·
8,680 Posts
I'm not a fan of the look either but good to know. Btw, I think you're math may be off as the Gen2 can't be 7 inches longer than a Gen1. I've had them both in the same spot in the garage and I'd say 2-3 inches max.
You're correct. Three inches different. I remembered my 2012 as being 173" and didn't look it up - apparently it's actually 177", so the Soul at 163" is fourteen inches shorter than the first gen, and seventeen shorter than second gen.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
That doesn't make much difference, hence why most automakers ignore it. It creates lift at normal ground clearance, and lift induces drag. The smoother the bottom, the more lift. There are some gains to be had, but not a lot.

This has been backed up by Tesla owners who have played with ride height.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts