GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulling out onto Lawerence Expressway Friday afternoon 2012 Volt goes no faster than 15mph with petal to the floor. Full charge on battery and 1/2 tank of gas. Ride the shoulder to Kifer and find a parking lot. Call OnStar. They can't get diags from the volt. Arrange a tow to Momentum Chevy. Too late to look at it give me a rent a car and will call me in the morning.

Saturday morning Glen calls I am thinking he is going to tell me that some capacitor is broken and it will be fixed today no charge. NOPE. Glen tells me I have a hole probably caused by a rock in my battery radiator which drained all my battery coolant out that caused the car to go into limp mode.

"going to have to take the entire front end of the car off to get to that radiator and that's going to cost you 2800.00"

Sigh. The car has never been in an accident and has never been off road.

Rock hit windshields all time I get that but I don't get this. Can't ever remember hearing someone say a rock damaged their radiator.

Chevy really? Does that have to happen to such a great car? 2800 is not chump change. What is going to prevent this happening again?

Kirk Beesley
Palo Alto, California

·
Registered
179 Posts
Search through the old threads, I was surprise to find how many Volts had this happened!
Cheep insurance I thought and had one right away

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Call your insurance agent. That should be covered by comprehensive. :)

Oh, an have them install the radiator tube cover that the 2013 volts have.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Kirk,

I am really sorry that this happened to you. It is an issue that has come up in the past, but your $2800 bill is pretty high compared to most that people mention ($1500-2000 as if that isn't bad enough...) Some owners have worked with their service advisors and/or their Volt Advisors to mitigate the bill, but in general, it isn't warranty issue. And as Volt Gambler states, it is likely an issue for your insurance to help sort out.

Somewhere in mid 2012, GM did start putting plastic guards on the radiator tubes to protect them as this issue became apparent. This covers the @ lower 1/3 of the radiator tubes with a thin piece of plastic. It will help, but strikes can still create punctures. Many of the reported punctures have been in cars with this already installed. A rock of up to @ 3/4" size can get through the grill. At speed, this can do some serious damage.

With that background given, I would encourage you and other Volt owners to look at my VoltScreen, and thank you to Bro199 and CrowlTom for mentioning it. The VoltScreen installs on the outside of the grill. It is made of expanded metal and powder coated for a great look and durability. The edges are trimmed with a heavy plastic edge trim that protects your car and adds to the finished look. Once installed, it blends right into the look of the car. After a day or two, you just stop seeing it. But it sits there, silent protection... If a rock gets through a VoltScreen, you have a lot bigger problems than a radiator to deal with!

A VoltScreen is $30 including shipping. Complete information is on my website, linked above. You can email me at [email protected] if you have any question or want to order one.

Please note, I do not wish to capitalize on Kirk's misfortune. My intent is solely to help others from having the same issue going forward.

Steve

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I would call and discuss this issue with your Volt advisor.
There is a bulletin #13-06-02-001 applicable to early 2011-12 cars with instructions to add a protective grille screen (and a GM part number for it) to prevent potential rock damage to the battery radiator.
Later cars received the screen in regular production
While this bulletin does not assume a warrantable repair, it may provide some ammunition when combined with a Volt Advisors help!
WopOnTour

·
Registered
962 Posts
I would love to buy this but it said 'Store not yet accepting payments'

Can we somehow get this?
All you have to do is email me at [email protected] if you have any questions or want to order one. Include your shipping address. I'll respond with payment information (Paypal is the easiest) and get one out to you ASAP.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
58 Posts
There is a bulletin #13-06-02-001 applicable to early 2011-12 cars with instructions to add a protective grille scree (and a GM part number for it) to prevent potential rock damage to the battery radiator.
While this bulleting does not assume a warrantable repair, it may provide some ammunition when combined with a Volt Advisors help!
WopOnTour
Wow, WOT...that's a great & informative post. Info like that helps make this forum worth the price of admission!

I hope this helps the OP out.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Previous posts such as this one is the reason I ordered the Volt screen from Scarlett. A cheap insurance. And a Voltshelf too.

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Radiators need airflow. Airflow means there will be hole in the front of the car that air can flow through. That same hole can (and will) allow other things to flow through the radiator, like bugs, bits of paper, dirt, sand, pebbles, stones, road debris and the occasional slow to get out of the way animal. Radiators do get damaged in this way. I'm surprised they aren't damaged more than they are.

Expecting the Volt to be an exception to the above is unrealistic. Blaming the car or GM for a rock damaged radiator is unfair. Stuff happens. Because the Volt has more than one radiator, one of the first things I added to my Volt was a screen, others have added Nomex honeycomb.

Radiator Protector, Air Intake Grill Guard Mods

We have a great FAQ on the various DIY options here, including a prefab screen you can buy from one of our members: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?110722-Radiator-Protector-Air-Intake-Grill-Guard-Mods

·
Registered
962 Posts
That is a great reminder of an already existing pile of options, Steverino!

Just a quick note. I'm not sure if it appears in that discussion or anywhere else. PLEASE, DO NOT install any radiator screen or protector against the INSIDE of the grill!!!! This could allow leaves and road debris to get packed in the grill and cause overheating! Steverino's grill screen and my VoltScreens are both installed on the outside of the grill for this reason. Any leaves or debris will have the opportunity to fall off or be washed off. If you use something like the Nomex honeycomb, it should be placed far enough behind the grill to leave space for debris to fall.

A number of people ask me if I make a screen for the inside of the grill because they want it to be invisible. I do not for the reason above. Bad idea!

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all

thank you all for responding.

After I posted to gm-volt.com I contracted my insurance company. My insurance said if I pay the 500 buck deductible they would cover the repair. I told them go ahead with the repair.

I also contacted the volt advisor team telling them of my problem. I did not ask them for anything I just wanted to vent.

The car was repaired and hours before I went to pick up the car I get a call from my volt advisor saying exactly what WopOnTour said about the SB. They went on to say that they will COVER THE ENTIRE EXPENSE.

GM you "rock"!

Kirk

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Awesome, now spend $25 on a screen because they won't do that a second time.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
There is a bulletin #13-06-02-001 applicable to early 2011-12 cars with instructions to add a protective grille screen (and a GM part number for it) to prevent potential rock damage to the battery radiator.
While this bulletin does not assume a warrantable repair, it may provide some ammunition when combined with a Volt Advisors help!
WopOnTour
This is interesting because my red 2011 Volt does not have the screen, but my white diamond 2011 Volt does. I had assumed the red one didn't have it because my wife had hit a deer and the body shop didn't replace the screen (I didn't even know about this screen until much later).

That said, I do have a home-built screen (very similar to the VoltScreen) on my red Volt now.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hi all

thank you all for responding.

After I posted to gm-volt.com I contracted my insurance company. My insurance said if I pay the 500 buck deductible they would cover the repair. I told them go ahead with the repair.

I also contacted the volt advisor team telling them of my problem. I did not ask them for anything I just wanted to vent.

The car was repaired and hours before I went to pick up the car I get a call from my volt advisor saying exactly what WopOnTour said about the SB. They went on to say that they will COVER THE ENTIRE EXPENSE.

GM you "rock"!

Kirk

GLAD to hear this and glad to hear that GM is stepping up to the plate with this. Makes me think my next car will be a GM product. I don't see this too often on the other sites I am on. (Because I own other vehicles). And those are regarding known design issues as well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am impressed that GM stepped up to the plate, but it took WOT's strategic reference to motivate? I don't agree this stuff happens to all vehicles, this was a design oversight that was corrected in later models, and in over 40 vehicles I've owned no radiator failures I ever had were caused by normal road debris. Though I would hope they would install the updated radiator guard, I think the VoltScreen or similar added protection just make sense. Regardless, it would appear that GM really cares about the first generation Volt customers more than any other vehicle I've encountered. Nice outcome GM!

·
Registered
4,728 Posts

GM you "rock"!

Kirk
Sorry I missed this
Great outcome
Welcome to gm-volt.com

and remember

"Just Drive and Smile"
WopOnTour

1 - 20 of 36 Posts