1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Clarification - this is The 10 worst cars EVER sold in THE HISTORY OF America

The title had me thinking that 6 of the 10 worst cars currently sold in America are GM. Here is the list for those who don't feel like going to the link and clicking through:

10. 1971 Ford Pinto
Built to a $2,000 base price, the subcompact Pinto lacks protection for its rear-mounted fuel tank. It earns a reputation as a fire-prone death trap and Ford pays out millions in judgments.

9. 1917 Chevrolet Series D
Chevy's first V8 could only manage 36 hp -- less than the brand's four-cylinder engine. GM killed it after 1918, and the next Chevy V8 came a full 37 years later.

8. 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Diesel
As bad as the 5.7-liter Olds diesel V8 was, the 4.3-liter version was worse. Sold only in the '79 Cutlass, the 4.3 diesel made 90 hp before shattering into shrapnel.

7. 1982 Cadillac Cimarron
Shameful, cynical attempt to compete against BMW with a redecorated version of the front-drive, four-cylinder Chevrolet Cavalier. A self-inflicted wound that nearly killed Cadillac.

6. 1958 Edsel Corsair
Ford goes hunting for a market niche that wasn't there with a redecorated Mercury that had been beaten with an ugly stick. The legendary flop of all automotive flops.

5. 2003 Saturn Ion
Shockingly incompetent to drive and with a stupid interior to match. Kick it and your foot could get stuck in the gaps between the plastic body panels. Easily the second worst car of the 21st century.

4. 1971 Chevrolet Vega
An engine that couldn't hold oil, in a car built with contempt for its buyers. It's the car that invited Americans to buy Toyotas and Hondas. However, it did make a good Pro Stock racer.

3. 1987 Yugo
A Serbian-made version of the Fiat 127 that people thought couldn't possibly be as awful as its low price suggested. But it was!

2. 1974 Ford Mustang II
Built upon the spindly bones of the Pinto, this shrunken, malformed pony is instantly appalling to Mustang lovers. And, unfortunately, hugely popular with buyers stuck with serial fuel crises.

1. 2001 Pontiac Aztek
Drive one and you quickly realize that the Aztek's exterior design is its best feature. It's the very worst car of all time because it's the only car on the list to kill an 84-year-old car company. It's undeniable that the Aztek's utter hideousness drove the biggest and last nails into Pontiac's heavily side-clad, plastic coffin.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Some of the cars on that list are on there not because they were bad rides , but because of imagine and perception . The 1999 Toyota 4-Runner had poor handling , uncomfortable , poor designed interior , sluggish performance , 14 mpg and way overpriced . But hey it’s a Toyota so it’s the best .

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had a 1972 Vega - the first and only American car that I owned, until I bought my Volt. I had to work hard to persuade myself to buy a GM/Chevy Volt, but I have been very happy (so far!)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
How many have you owned? I bought a brand new 1973 Vega GT. While maybe not as bad as the '71, it lasted about a year before the head cracked. :) And another car I owned and I'll nominate for the list is the 1980 Renault Fuego, a POS in the truest sense of that phrase.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hyperbole, misinformation, wild unsubstantiated claims, revisionist history for the most part. Digging up the first V8 Chevrolet? Wouldn't have made the list unless they were looking to kick Chevrolet. Corvair didn't make the list? I guess the young genius who wrote the piece wasn't born yet. Btw, I had three Corvairs.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
How about the Renault Alliance? Used to blow heater cores, dumping hot antifreeze on passenger feet.
Yes, the Fuego did that too, and the geniuses at Renault wrapped the starter motor with the exhaust header, burning it out every couple thousand miles. :) I owned a Corvair too, a '64 convertible, and it was one of the best cars I ever owned. Wish I still had it!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
How many have you owned? I bought a brand new 1973 Vega GT. While maybe not as bad as the '71, it lasted about a year before the head cracked. :) And another car I owned and I'll nominate for the list is the 1980 Renault Fuego, a POS in the truest sense of that phrase.
I completely forgot how bad those Renault's were . Also , the Fiat's of the 80's broke down on the way home from the dealership . My uncle had one that ran good about 10% of time . I remember saying : Hey it's running again ! The next week it was always sitting collecting dust . My parents had the Mustang II . One day our German Shepard was sitting alone in the car and somehow released the parking brake . The car rolled across the street and hit a tree . The fiberglass body was cracked so bad it went to the junk yard .

The 79 Olds diesel is probably the worse on that list . My grandpa was a mechanic and he thought the 58 Edsel was a good sound car . He was telling me they were good cars to buy used . They were priced low just because they weren't " hip and cool . I guess chicks didn't dig them .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Some of the cars on that list are on there not because they were bad rides , but because of imagine and perception . The 1999 Toyota 4-Runner had poor handling , uncomfortable , poor designed interior , sluggish performance , 14 mpg and way overpriced . But hey it’s a Toyota so it’s the best .
LOL. I would consider the 3rd gen 4runner I owned (1996) to be one of the best SUV's i've ever owned. Possibly one of the best SUV's period.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Written by a stooge for Japan, Inc. for sure.

How about the Hyundai Excel? Renault Dauphine?

Any small car built in the era of the Pinto and the Vega would seem like junk by today's standards. Including the beloved Volkswagen Beetle. Does anybody notice any Toyota Tercels still running around? I didn't think so, LOL.

I'll tell you one thing. I dunno about the V8, but my 1917 Chevy 4 cyl speedster terrorizes Model T speedsters.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Looks like the Exxon list. Most of the cars on the list were innovative in their day...means of reducing cost and petroleum use. The sublimal message is buy a big SUV just like the one next door, small cars suck! Missed the Corvair.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Speaking of Fiat (Fix It Again Tony) when I finally got tired of having the Renault in the repair shop more than in my garage, I traded it on a 1984 Maserati Biturbo. I thought I was was taking the BIG step up into an Italian high performance luxury car! Well, the twin turbo engine had a black box sitting on the fire wall with the letters "MABC" on it. They told me that stood for "Maserati Automatic Boost Control." What it really stood for was "Mario, Another Broken Car!" After the third major engine malfunction in 16 months, I dumped it and bought a Honda Accord. That thing ran trouble-free for 210K miles.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
My reply on the site:

This list is idiotic and uninformed, and just an excuse to bash GM and Ford overall. How about the Euro cars that were so bad they left the U.S. market many years ago? Let's see, Triumph, MG, Fiat, Peugeot, Alfa Romeo, Citroen... I'm sure I'm leaving a few off. More recently Daewoo got booed out of the U.S., and as others have mentioned the earlier Hyundais and Kias were quite rotten, in fact it's amazing they lived to get their act together. And the Aztek had little to nothing to do with Pontiac's ultimate demise, which shows how little the author or authors of this list know about anything, no less automobiles. In fact among its owner base, it was very highly rated for satisfaction.

Really sorry journalism.

·
Registered
172 Posts
@ lanjay: I had a 62 Corvair convertible and liked it. It was a great snow car. We lived near a three-way intersection that collected Mustangs after every snow, as from that point it was uphill in all directions.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Well I nominate the 1975 VW Rabitt. We had recall campaigns just to improve the quality of the wrecks. Took up to 3 days. Junk. So bad that VW tried to revive the name and the memories still lingered after 25+ years.

but how could anyone leave out isuzu troopers, isuzu i-marks, and isuzu impulse. when we sold the franchise in 1986 or so, I loaded up the signs, parts and manuals in one isuzu P'up and drove to the new home, tossed them a set of keys and asked for a ride back. the only blue sky in that deal was overhead.

crappy cars are actually pretty common and that article glosses over a lot of junk.

and this has to make everyone's list:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I would like to introduce instead a japanese POS: the Honda Civic, first generation.

Quote from wikipedia:
The first generation Honda Civics were notorious for rusting in less than three years from purchase where salt was used in the winter. The U.S. importer, American Honda Motor Company, signed a final consent decree with the Federal Trade Commission that provided owners of 1975-1978 Civics with rusted fenders the right to receive replacements or cash reimbursements.[2] In the end, almost 1 million Honda owners were notified that their fenders could be repaired or replaced by the automaker at no charge. About 10% of all Hondas sold were to be inspected by a dealer, and the automaker had 180 days to replace front fenders and supporting parts that showed rust within the first three years of use.[3]
The Hondas were so vulnerable to corrosion that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) also issued a safety recall . This was because the car's lateral suspension arms, front crossbeam, and strut coil spring lower supports could weaken with exposure to salt.[4] A total of 936,774 vehicles built between 9-1-1972 and 8-1-1979 were subject to extensive repairs since Honda had to replace the suspension components, or the automaker bought back entire cars with serious body corrosion.[5]

If you would like to check this Crash test video on a side pole impact, you can notice that the pole goes right through the car, and stops about at the passenger seat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaBCYCbjGqk
And if you had a front impact crash, your head will stop on the hood, after passing through the windshield, as you can watch :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbZyYvCUjzQ

In either case, you were dead.

Francois
B2653

1 - 20 of 26 Posts