GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
So unlucky me is taking car back. The bearing is fixed but I have a random clunk that almost sounds like a worn strut. It's an inconsistent noise but getting worse or so I think. I put the car up on stands and checked for anything loose and nothing stood out. I know there is a tsb for the struts but to be honest not sure that's what it is or not. I think it's happening on bumps but on a rough road you only hear it maybe 5 to 10 percent of the time and usually on small bumps at lower speed so kind of weird. On past cars the noise was there all the time on failing struts

When I had the steering gear replaced a year ago I had a clunk noise when I would accelerate. Got home and found they didn't tighten the engine/tranny mount on the bottom side of car in that there was a quarter inch gap of threads showing. I took pictures and let them know but was easy enough to torque down at home. The service adviser there is nice but my faith in mechanic is getting low.

Edit -- just in case this happens to you. The transmission mount was out of alignment was the comment on my service order. All fixed

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Fainter than most of the examples we've had so far, but yeah, that's the sound we associate with the motor bearing.
It has gotten a lot louder in the last week.

I just got back from the Dealership where we purchased the car, with Great News.

Not only is the Bearing is covered by Voltec, but I also had them look into the infamous loose axle nut clicking I had been putting up the last 2 years.
They determined the RH axle assembly needed to be replaced. They are also covering it under warranty even though I would have thought that would be a powertrain component. The power train warranty expired last year so I don’t know how it is being covered, but I’m not complaining.

The other good news was that the Volt technician was familiar with both issues and had done those repairs before. Oddly enough they had all parts on hand except the axle, which they will have tomorrow. My wife will have to drop the car off after her work Wednesday evening, they are giving her a 2018 Volt as a loner to drive for a few days. It’s Complimentary with warranty work. I asked if they had A Bolt to lone out. They didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
When mine went last year, it started suddenly on my 11-mile drive to work and the car was barely drievable because of how loud it was and because it was disengaging the regen suddenly at low speeds, which made it seem to lurch forward before the friction brakes engaged. This is not a good feeling when stopping behind another car.
There is Chevy dealership 1 mile from where I work, I dropped it off on the way home and the repair was done under warranty with 98k miles on the odometer :)
It took them about 2 weeks because the parts were hard to get, but eventually it was fixed.

Now I swear I can still hear the saw noise at low speeds, but I've driven it 5,000 miles since and it's still fine, so I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thank you to both you and Dennis (for posting the warranty), I am on the phone with GM Customer service right now and will keep you posted.
As promised here is my follow-up to the electric drive motor bearing replacement that I paid for. I'll just give the Readers Digest version and try to cut to the chase........I initiated another call with GM Customer Service on 9/10/18 and asked my inquiry be elevated to the next level because the dealer told me this was not covered under the Voltec warranty and GM Customer Service told me the same thing when I made my first call to them. As stated in a previous post, when I took my Volt to the dealer I asked them numerous times to verify whether this was or was not covered under the Voltec warranty and they assured my they contacted GM and found out it was not covered so I ended up paying $888.00 out of pocket. Skip to today, 9/21/18, I have been in communication every other day with GM Customer Service getting status updates on my inquiry. What ended up happening is that GM contacted the dealer that did the repair and asked them to submit a claim through GM Warranty Claims Department to determine why my repair was not covered. GM Customer Service heard back from the dealer today and it ends up that this repair is covered under the Voltec warranty so I will be reimbursed the full amount. What bothers me is that prior to repair the dealer assured me they contacted GM and evidently they lied. So thanks to this forum, again, and my persistence with GM the repair ended up costing me nothing. Next warranty item will be the "battery to cold plug in to warm" issue which has flashed on the display a few times but did no CEL. Hoping the CEL light comes on this winter and I can get it repaired then. Thanks again to all for posting their experiences!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Looks like I'm the latest victim of this failure. Started hearing the noise yesterday, and I have an apt with the dealer on Monday.
Hopefully I don't have to deal with them trying to deny warranty coverage.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Btown,

That is great news about your reimbursement.

My wife dropped our Volt off at the dealership today. They gave us a 2018 Volt loaner. That’s going to be kinda nice to try out for comparisons.

The Warranty fix list for out Volt

Motor bearing replacement
RH axle replacement (clicking)

Special coverage warranty for

Sticky steering software upgrade

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
We got our Gen 2 premiere courtesy loner last night. I don’t think it has ACC though. It wasn’t noted on the window sticker. Other than that it seems to have all the the other safety packages. This one is black w/ jet black interior. My wife noticed the blue backlit accent lines on the door panels, she really liked those styling cues. I was going over some of the features with her this morning before she left for the day. The Very first thing I noticed when she put it in Reverse to back out of the garage was the White Noise Maker and I HATE it. It sounds like metal on metal worn out brakes. I would rather of had a sound more like a high pitch electric motor whine( not circular saw though)

Other than the Noise maker I really like it. I could see one in our next 2 year future. It will be interesting too see what happens to the Off lease Volt values once the the $7500 tax credit starts phasing out next year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wonder what happens if the problem is ignored. Could it damage more or it would be just the noise? I've driven the car with this noise for around 3K miles and it is exactly the same neither worse nor better. SO I don't know if it's actually so serious.

I ask because mine is out of warranty because it has a branded title.

If it is necessary I'd like to replace it myself but I need the procedure, so please if anyone has the procedure or manual to change the part would be very helpful to share it. I just know I need 3 special tools which I can get but I searched online and I found vague info of how to do it and it doesn't seem to be a very complicated procedure with the proper tools. So please any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
In the 10 days since I took the Video clip of our car, the sound got substantially loader. It’s a great question though. I have to believe if the bearing cage fails, you’re going to have contamination floating around inside the motor that could potentially damage other things.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe a flush / fluid change could help?

In my case it hasn't worsen. It is exactly the same as it was 3000 miles ago, so I don't know.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Btown,

That is great news about your reimbursement.

My wife dropped our Volt off at the dealership today. They gave us a 2018 Volt loaner. That’s going to be kinda nice to try out for comparisons.
Dennis,

Definitely is good news! Unfortunate that the dealer either tried to screw me over or flat out didn't want to take the time to investigate a warranty claim. I definitely won't go back to that dealer. Really nice of your dealer to give you a 2018 as a loaner. Allows you to take an extended test drive and will help you decide if you want to purchase a newer model in 2 years.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Dennis,

Definitely is good news! Unfortunate that the dealer either tried to screw me over or flat out didn't want to take the time to investigate a warranty claim. I definitely won't go back to that dealer. Really nice of your dealer to give you a 2018 as a loaner. Allows you to take an extended test drive and will help you decide if you want to purchase a newer model in 2 years.
Well,

My dealership (Bergstrom Chevrolet Middleton Wi) has pretty much bent over backwards to take care of all issues. I went to pickup the car today and got a 1/2 mile down the road when the Dash lit up with ABS warning and stabila-track disabled. I immediately turned around and brought to their attention. I figured it had too be related to the work that had been done. I waited an hour while they did a diagnostic test of the ABS system. It turned out the RH sensor was reporting an erroneous wheel RPM. They had to pull the New axle out to figure out what was going on. At that point I had a previous appointment I needed to get too so they let me keep the 2018 loaner Volt another day. I was thrilled about that.

The 2018 is a Premier loaded , but No ACC. Boy What a NICE car. I was thoroughly impressed. I got 64.7 EV miles on 14.4kw before it switched to gas. Then I got 49 Mpg on gas alone. This car has a really nice Lane keep assist that actively steers the car back into the lane. It’s no Tesla autopilot, but better than the beeps on our 2013. Absolutely loved the blind spot alert in the mirrors. The other nice thing was the parking assist that shows the range on the driver display. Great for pulling into our cramped Garage. The backup camera with active lines was awesome. The seats, were extremely comfortable and easy to get out of than compared to our 13’. I know some have said, the Gen 2 seats were narrower than Gen 1s. But that’s not the impression I got. They were soft and comfortable.

One more thing, no open window aerodynamic thumping.

All in all, I absolutely loved the driving experience. I can honestly say after experiencing this Gen 2. We will likely upgrade in couple years with an off lease one.

Anyway Back to our Volt and the ABS issue. I got a call late this evening that the cause had been found. It turned out a tab of metal had broken off the Reluctor ring on the old Axle when it was pulled out of the hub. The broken tab stuck too the magnetic pickup wheel sensor. The code didn’t show up till the Second drive cycle following the initial repairs test drive.

Of course this is all part of the original warranty work. So, Zero cost to me and I got too spend another 80 miles of enjoyment in the 2018 Volt.

All in all a great dealership experience.
Of course giving us the 2018 volt was a subversive way to try and get us hooked on a New one, but Im not complaining.

·
Registered
376 Posts
[/QUOTE]Of course this is all part of the original warranty work. So, Zero cost to me and I got too spend another 80 miles of enjoyment in the 2018 Volt. All in all a great dealership experience.
Of course giving us the 2018 volt was a subversive way to try and get us hooked on a New one, but Im not complaining. [/QUOTE]

Definitely a good strategy by your dealer and sounds like it will pay off. The dealer I purchased my Volt from always gave me a loaner but never a Volt (always a Cruz). The other dealer that did the bearing replacement did not offer a loaner, Just a ride home. Kinda made me feel like Charlie Brown when he keeps getting a rock while trick or treating.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Final report:

Our Volt is silent again. Replacing the RH axle got rid of the Clicking. They did confirm it was a bad outer CV joint, not just the loose Axle nut issue.

No more circular saw sounds and no more Sticky Steering. However, the later will need to be verified by long trip on the interstate to really know if it’s gone for good.

Still miss the the 2018 Volt loaner though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Final report:

Our Volt is silent again. Replacing the RH axle got rid of the Clicking. They did confirm it was a bad outer CV joint, not just the loose Axle nut issue.

No more circular saw sounds and no more Sticky Steering. However, the later will need to be verified by long trip on the interstate to really know if it’s gone for good.
So the sticky dead center steering on highway I thought was related to the steering gear? I had that replaced as well about a year ago.

Edit found the info I had saved (below is copied and pasted)
Campaign #14232: Special Coverage Adjustment - Power Steering Stick-Slip
2011-2014 Chevrolet Volt

Condition:
Some 2011-2014 MY Chevrolet Volt may have increased friction in the steering system. This could cause the steering wheel to stick in the straight-ahead position after driving long distances on a straight highway.
The steering wheel can be turned but it may require increased effort.

Vehicles Involved:
All involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Applicable Warranties section in GM Global Warranty Management system.

Service Procedure:
2010-2012 Vehicles: Replace the Steering Gear Assembly
2013-2014 Vehicles: Reprogram the Power Steering Control Module.
Note: * When performing the reprogram on 2013-2014 vehicles, always ensure that the programming description addresses the stick-slip condition.

·
Registered
665 Posts
What ended up happening is that GM contacted the dealer that did the repair and asked them to submit a claim through GM Warranty Claims Department to determine why my repair was not covered. GM Customer Service heard back from the dealer today and it ends up that this repair is covered under the Voltec warranty so I will be reimbursed the full amount. What bothers me is that prior to repair the dealer assured me they contacted GM and evidently they lied. So thanks to this forum, again, and my persistence with GM the repair ended up costing me nothing.
btown,

Can you share who you dealt with at GM, like do you have a contact number? My dealer is giving me the runaround with this as well.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts