GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my 2014 Volt and set up my iPhone, incoming text messages would pop up on the center console, and could be read to me. At some point in the last several months this stopped working (maybe when I got a new iPhone 6?). I've looked through every setting I can think of and can't figure out why it isn't working.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is a setting in the iphone Bluetooth settings you need to enable to push messages to the car. I had this same issue when I upgraded to the iPhone 6. It appears this option is off by default. Go to the setting menu on the iphone, then Bluetooth, touch the i in a circle thing (whatever that's called), then enable the option to show notifications. This should fix the issue.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Text messages on the center console? Is this a joke?

How quickly can you read a 160 character message? How quickly can a child run in front of your car?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Text messages on the center console? Is this a joke?

How quickly can you read a 160 character message? How quickly can a child run in front of your car?
The car verbally tells you that you have a text message and then asks you for a voice prompt, yes/no if you want the car to read it to you. It works pretty well and although it may be a distraction, it is no more of a distraction than all of the other stuff (movies, weather, NAV, multiple menus, etc) that are on the center console. Actually, it may be less of a distraction than some of the other stuff.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I doubt if it's any less attraction. There is just to much info being displayed period. Later aceinsp

3,605 Posts
Originally Posted by CheezmoWhen I first got my 2014 Volt and set up my iPhone, incoming text messages would pop up on the center console, and could be read to me. At some point in the last several months this stopped working (maybe when I got a new iPhone 6?). I've looked through every setting I can think of and can't figure out why it isn't working.

Any ideas?
Hey Cheezmo,

It appears you're just trying to get quick advice from the forum so you can troubleshoot the problem by yourself, however, we do have a team that specializes in infotainment issues. If you're interested in having the team walk you through the steps of fixing this, they can be reached at (855) 478-7767. Let us know how it all goes!

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
"Texting while driving is OK." - Bruce Jenner.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The car verbally tells you that you have a text message and then asks you for a voice prompt, yes/no if you want the car to read it to you. It works pretty well and although it may be a distraction, it is no more of a distraction than all of the other stuff (movies, weather, NAV, multiple menus, etc) that are on the center console. Actually, it may be less of a distraction than some of the other stuff.
I believe that movies visible to the driver are illegal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts