GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just tinted my Volt and I can already feel the difference. I've owned my Volt for 2 weeks now and dread the afternoon drive blasting the AC until the car finally cools off. The tint won't keep the car from getting hot since it bakes uncovered in the Dallas sun for 10 hours, but it seems to cool off quickly now and I can run the fan slower. I never thought I'd say that I can't wait for the next drive on a hot day.

Was deciding between Wincos, 3M Crystalline and Spectra Photosync. Went with Wincos, as the Crystalline was gonna run an extra $200 for roughly the same heat rejection. I really, really wanted the Spectra Photosync tint (bunch of Tesla guys are getting this...check out the specs), but the only installer wanted over $1,000 including tax.

I got Wincos 70 on the windshield (barely noticeable), 30 on the driver/passenger, and 20 on the rear and back window. I wasn't going for the blacked out look, but just wanted the most heat rejection I could get without breaking the bank. I paid $600 for mine at a highly rated shop in Dallas.

The car is filthy since I can't wash it for a few days. Enjoy pictures of a newly tinted, dirty blue topaz Volt.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Was deciding between Wincos, 3M Crystalline and Spectra Photosync. Went with Wincos, as the Crystalline was gonna run an extra $200 for roughly the same heat rejection. I really, really wanted the Spectra Photosync tint (bunch of Tesla guys are getting this...check out the specs), but the only installer wanted over $1,000 including tax.
75% solar energy rejection is pretty good, but $1,000 seems to be a bit high. I'm not sure those numbers are better than Huper Optik Drei, which should only cost about $800 for the Volt.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I went with Huper Optik at Pro Tint in Dallas. It definitely makes a difference. I did not do the windshield and know that would help even more. Mine (also Blue Topaz) is a lease and figured I didn't need them giving me any grief on lease return. I was driving down the road yesterday (now that temps have eclipsed 100 consistently) and noticed how the sun hitting my arm through the side window wasn't toasty on my arm (nice)...A/C just doesn't have to work as hard, etc.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I need to get the front windows on my Volt tinted. Had the back ones done in CA but front window tint isn't legal there (save for the top 6 inches on the windshield). Now that I'm in Texas, it is a must.

Any idea how the windshield tint holds up to the registration and inspection stickers being stuck and removed yearly?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I need to get the front windows on my Volt tinted. Had the back ones done in CA but front window tint isn't legal there (save for the top 6 inches on the windshield). Now that I'm in Texas, it is a must.

Any idea how the windshield tint holds up to the registration and inspection stickers being stuck and removed yearly?
My understanding is that a quality tint job should hold up just fine, but I'm not sure if there is anything in the adhesive that would break the tint down chemically.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

They cut out a little section for the registration & inspection stickers. Not really noticeable at all.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I totally recommend getting the front windshield done, even if it is not totally legal in your state. Various brands of tints have their super high Visible Light Transmission shades.
Wincos I have are 70%
3M Crystalline has a 70% and 90%
Llumar Air Blue 80%

I doubt most cops are looking to bust dudes driving Volts with illegal tint. I definitely wouldn't go any darker than 70% VLT on windshield though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
They cut out a little section for the registration & inspection stickers. Not really noticeable at all.

That's great, thanks for the reply and photos. If I have the windshield done I'll make sure they do that.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Tint is always worth it. I picked up the new ceramic dark - about $450, but I do want to do the windshield soon. Love comfort and no heat personally.

·
Registered
827 Posts
That's what Xpert Tint in Houston did to mine as well, supposedly standard procedure. I'm glad they do it that way. With the inspection shops around here, they insist on placing the safety sticker themselves -- and they typically remove the old one with a blade. Tint can't possibly survive such invasive maneuvers. :D

The tint looks great! And, dirty or not, it's a beautiful color you got there pard'ner. :)

Llumar Air Blue 80%
It's 78%, technically. :) Btw, the tint will look darker on the Volt. All glass on my '13 has an etching that says "70% VLT".

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Front window tint is legal. Have to buy that new clear ceramic stuff. Or the new clear carbon based materials.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I totally recommend getting the front windshield done, even if it is not totally legal in your state. Various brands of tints have their super high Visible Light Transmission shades.
Wincos I have are 70%
3M Crystalline has a 70% and 90%
Llumar Air Blue 80%

I doubt most cops are looking to bust dudes driving Volts with illegal tint. I definitely wouldn't go any darker than 70% VLT on windshield though.
The other thing you need to account for is whether the tint is reflective. Even if it is 70%-90% VLT, if it is reflective in anyway, that's a big no no.

Front window tint is legal. Have to buy that new clear ceramic stuff. Or the new clear carbon based materials.
In California, any windshield tint is, technically, illegal.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The tint looks great! And, dirty or not, it's a beautiful color you got there pard'ner. :)
Thanks...originally wanted Cyber Gray, but no dealers in the area had what I was looking for. The blue has grown on me and now I definitely prefer it (haha, no bias).
Can't wait to give it a good bath and coat of wax.

As for legality, check your state laws, blah, blah, blah.
I am not a lawyer or a law enforcement officer, but the tint is light enough that I don't think it will warrant a second look.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts