GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the chance to test my Volt's EV range today.

A few days ago I found a compact spare at a junk yard that fits the Volt. The problem was that it was 23 miles away making it a 46 mile round trip.
Today the air temp was 68 F degrees, the warmest day we have had here sense I got my Volt in October.

When I left my garage, with a full charge, the range displayed on the DIC was 35 miles, (most of my daily driving is highway @ 65mph). Most of this trip would be on secondary roads. The climate system is off.

Here is the data from the trip:

Total Round Trip Mileage: 46.4 miles, (My previous best range before the ICE started was 38 miles.)
Range remaining on DIC: 1 mile. (ICE did NOT start.)
KwH used on this trip: 10.3kwh.

My Volt Grin just got bigger. :D
Volt Spare 1.jpg Volt Spare 2.jpg

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nice! 46.4 miles is a good number!!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yup, just as many Volt owners are unhappy to find limited range in the winter, come Spring time, they'll be thrilled with the change.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Yup, just as many Volt owners are unhappy to find limited range in the winter, come Spring time, they'll be thrilled with the change.
Yup, I knew it would happen, but when it actually started showing up on my Volt's LCD screens I knew winter was the Volt's nemesis. But once I got over the few quarts of gas it actually consumed I am now smiling again.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Total Round Trip Mileage: 46.4 miles, (My previous best range before the ICE started was 38 miles.)
I see you have a 2013 Volt. Just wait until you use 10.6 kWh or 10.8 kWh--that should bump-up your mileage to 50 or over.

Here's my mileage at 10.6 kWh, just a couple of weeks ago. With the 2013 models, we can squeeze out 10.8 kWh for possibly even more mileage! . . .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats on the milage number! Where will you place the spare? Are you planning on carrying it around? If so do you mind posting a picture of how you installed it in the car and secured it to keep it from moving around.

·
1,101 Posts
Yesterday, it was in the 20's. I got about 27 miles of AER.

Today, mid 50's. The AER jumped right back to 39.

The heating system really chews into the battery pack.................

C-5277

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on the milage number! Where will you place the spare? Are you planning on carrying it around? If so do you mind posting a picture of how you installed it in the car and secured it to keep it from moving around.

Right now just gonna keep it in the garage, just a little Murphy's Law insurance. I will have to try to work something out if I take the Volt on a out of town trip.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Right now just gonna keep it in the garage, just a little Murphy's Law insurance. I will have to try to work something out if I take the Volt on a out of town trip.
Not real useful in the garage. (Smile!) I've been fine for 50,805 miles, and I'm still on my original Goodyear Assurances. Been everywhere from Florida, NC, Arkansas, and Canada without a spare. Only once did the tire pressure monitoring system indicate a problem - sitting in my garage, I found a screw through the thread. Not pulling it out, I added air using the included pump without using the sealer and drove to the dealer to get it fixed without the pressure dropping. Much easier than putting on a spare, even if I had it sitting around unused in the garage!

Congrats on your range.

·
Registered
222 Posts
50,805 miles,
Hey Bob, would you mind sharing your tread depth remaining? I have 35k on mine and am thinking I'll buy new tires in another 5 - 10k miles.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I got the chance to test my Volt's EV range today.

A few days ago I found a compact spare at a junk yard that fits the Volt. The problem was that it was 23 miles away making it a 46 mile round trip.
Today the air temp was 68 F degrees, the warmest day we have had here sense I got my Volt in October.

When I left my garage, with a full charge, the range displayed on the DIC was 35 miles, (most of my daily driving is highway @ 65mph). Most of this trip would be on secondary roads. The climate system is off.

Here is the data from the trip:

My Volt Grin just got bigger. :D
View attachment 11001 View attachment 11009
This is almost coincidental. My roundtrip to/from work is 46 miles. Having gotten my Volt on 12/10/12, I have been dealing with Chicago (albeit milder so far) winter weather. My previous best EV Mileage on one charge was 42.7 a few weeks back when the weather was in the mid to upper 40s.
Today has been the warmest (but rainy) day since I got my Volt and it was in the low to mid 50s on my drive from and to work today. I just missed not running gas for the trip by 1.1 miles. I think had it been a dry vs. a soaking wet day, I may have made it all Electric. I am definitely looking to warmer days in the spring!

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,810 Posts
I keep a spare in the garage as well. I can easily get it and the jack out to the car in case of a flat. I'd rather not mess with a tow if it can be avoided. If not, the car can be brought to my home. I'd rather be able to continue driving than have my car sitting at a dealer waiting for a new tire to arrive. I rotate my wheels, swapping in a spare is not that tough. YMMV.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hey Bob, would you mind sharing your tread depth remaining? I have 35k on mine and am thinking I'll buy new tires in another 5 - 10k miles.
When I put a penny in a groove, it goes well past the top of President Lincoln's head. "If part of Lincoln's head is always covered by the tread, you have more than 2/32" of tread depth remaining. If part of Washington's head is always covered by the tread, you have more than 4/32" of tread depth remaining." Part of Washington's head is covered on the quarter, so I have more than 4/32. It is not close to the tread wear bars, and I have no qualms about winter driving on these tires, less than a blizzard or ice storm (in which case I would drive my GMC Yukon XL anyway).

Please see picture if it works - I have trouble with pictures on this site.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11169&d=1359556105

Take that, you folks who disagreed with me about GM's specified tire pressures or the need for regular tire rotations. As an FYI, I did not need to replace the tires and brakes on my much heavier Yukon XL until 52,973. No need to replace the brakes on my Volt for a long time, another nice thing about this car!

·
Registered
222 Posts
tread.jpg

OK, why do you have more tread than I do when you have 15k more miles on your tires??

BTW, has anybody seen this "Aquachannel" in their tire? I didn't know it was there. Interesting.

·
Registered
210 Posts
spare tire

What tire did you get from the junkyard? What vehicle was it off of?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
What tire did you get from the junkyard? What vehicle was it off of?
2003 Cadillac CTS. Make sure it is the 5 spoke version, not the solid steel kind.
Also, I found that there are 3 compact spares available for the 2003 CTS named DAT, FZS, or TZU. The DAT is the solid steel rim. The one I got is the TZU model, I'm not sure what the FZS rim looks like.

Volt Spare 1.jpg Volt Spare 2.jpg

·
Registered
259 Posts
Spare tire

I see the spare you got is 16". Are you concerned since 17s are on the car? How much did you have to give for it. What are you using for a jack? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I see the spare you got is 16". Are you concerned since 17s are on the car? How much did you have to give for it. What are you using for a jack? Thanks for any info.
I tried very hard to find a recommendation for the proper size compact spare but didn't find any. Then I remembered that my other car, a 2011 Malibu, had 17" rims just like my Volt and it came from the factory with a compact spare. The Malibu came with a 16" compact spare. I figure if it works on my Malibu it will work on the Volt. It cost me $50 and I have test fit it on the Volt. It fits perfectly and there is still plenty of clearance under the front air dam.
For the jack, I found one on ebay for a 97-03 Buick Regal. This type jack is used in many late model GM cars. You just have to find one that has the "u" grove that fits under the side frame where the body is welded on right behind the front wheels or just in front of the rear wheels. My Malibu jack would probably work, but I wanted a separate one for the Volt.
I also already have a floor jack that is small enough to slide under to the Volt's floor jack lift points.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts