GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove one today and really liked it but failed to ask or try the car when using gas. What sounds or noise or vibrations can one expect when the car is using gas? It is extremely quiet on electric but my commute is much longer than the EV range. I drive 45 mile one way but have yet find a charging option. I drive to Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey on Sunday, park for the week and return on Thursday.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The thing to remember is that the gas engine is charging the battery, not driving the wheels. The noise you hear will not directly correspond to pushing the pedal. Sometimes, the car makes little more detectable noise than when driving electric. Sometimes it is noticeably louder. Most of the time (when on gas), the car acts like a conventional hybrid- with engine off while the vehicle is not moving. There certainly is no vibration. I just finished a 1400 mile trip, mostly highway speeds. Over 90% of the time, I had to purposefully try to listen for the engine, as tire noise mostly overwhelms engine noise (faster still means louder all the time for tire noise).

·
Banned
301 Posts
At speeds over 30 mph it is hard to detect the engine is even running. Under 30 mph it depends on how high the RPM is. Most the time it is hardly noticeable but if the engine has to work harder you will start to hear it. Between 0-5 mph you usually just barely hear it.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Numerous times with others in the car and driving 40+, no one in the car new it switched unless they were looking a the drivers dash and see the battery "icon" swap from the fuel pump "icon". For people who are new in the car I wait a mile and ask them if they recognized when it switched a mile ago. Nope ... never have.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Give hold mode a try, the ICE should kick on.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've hit hold on a couple of highways and gone to ICE, so I was moving at speed, but I really didn't notice a change in sound levels.

·
Registered
309 Posts
In all honesty it is really hard to tell when the VOLT runs on gas. If the stereo volume is even slightly turned up, FORGET ABOUT IT!!! LOL!

The ICE makes what sounds like a muted droning background noise, easier to hear when it revs up a bit, but hard to hear otherwise, and there is virtually no vibration. The sound of the tires rolling over harsh pavement is really the only sound most passengers will ever hear.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I find the sound of the ICE a little harsh when it is running at high RPM. It's the only thing about the Volt I've experienced that seems "cheap". By that I mean it sounds a little like an econo-box engine, while everything else about the Volt, to me, is quality engineering and refinement.

But it's not really that loud, and I'm only aware of it when I am accelerating hard from a stop light, or pushing it up a hill. The rest of the time the engine is running slowly enough that I don't hear it.

I also find it a little weird how the engine RPM doesn't correlate to "throttle" (pedal) position or acceleration. It just takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
If you think of what you are driving now, the Volt in comparison will be smooth and quiet both in all electric and beyond. You have to live with the car to notice the differences between the two modes which are subtle. If you listen hard, you'll hear a very muffled 4 cylinder revving sound easily drowned out by tire noise and music. Sometimes you can sense some vibration which if it was a normal car, you'd never think twice about, but since in all electric mode it is smoother and creamier than any other car you've ever driven, you'll notice.

You see, if you live with a Volt, it's kind of like living with a somebody who is extremely good at something - you learn to better appreciate what they do which others don't do as well, or can't do at all. In short, you are going to get spoiled and become a conessieur of how a car should define comfort and driving pleasure.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Assuming you don't have your radio cranked up, the engine is very noticeable at low speeds around town. However, on the highway, you can't hear it at all unless you are flooring it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
To elaborate a bit on what I said previously -- how much you can hear the engine at low speeds...well...it comes and goes. It's pretty quiet at idle and low speed cruise most of the time, but the engine does rev up when accelerating, and that is definitely noticeable. And sometimes it runs at a higher RPM that is noticeable as well, which I notice most often when cruising around 30 MPH. Then sometimes it builds up enough charge that the engine shuts off completely for a bit. It's not bad, but not perfect either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts