GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3977385-test-driving-teslas-self-driving-technology

"Last week, I received a call from Elon Musk's office to test the company's self-driving technology embedded in their new vehicles for readers of the Diary of a Mad Hedge Fund Trader.

I did, and prepare to have your mind blown!

I was driving (Model X 90D SUV) at 80 MPH on CA-24, a windy eight-lane freeway that snakes its way through the San Francisco East Bay mountains. Suddenly the salesman reached over and flicked a lever on the left side of the driving column.

The car took over! (the self-driving software is $2,500.)

There it was, winding and turning along every curve, perfectly centered in the lane. As much as I hated to admit it, the car drove better than I ever could.

All that was required was for me to touch the steering wheel every five minutes to prove that I was not sleeping....:)

The cars do especially well in rush hour driving, as it is adept at stop and go traffic. You can just sit there and work on your laptop, read a book, or watch a movie on the built in 4G WIFI HD TV.

When we returned to the garage the car really showed off. When we passed a parking space, another button was pushed, and we perfectly backed 90 degrees into a parking space, measuring and calculating all the way.

The range is 255 miles, which I can recharge at home at night from a standard 220-volt socket in seven hours. The chassis can rise as high as eight inches off the ground so it can function as a true SUV."

This was the ironic moment...:)

"My company will be purchasing the car under Section 179 of the International Revenue Code. The car qualifies because it weighs over 6,000 pounds and is therefore a truck under tax law.

This allows me to deduct the entire $130,000 cost of the vehicle up front, plus the maintenance and insurance costs for the entire life of the car. However, I will have to maintain a mileage log as a hedge against any future IRS audits.

Ironically, Section 179 was enacted as a subsidy for consumer purchases of the eight mile per gallon Hummer, which was originally built by AM General and owned by General Motors (NYSE:GM).

After several attempts to sell the division failed, production was permanently shut down. However, the tax subsidies live on for any like designed vehicle."

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
179 doesn't allow you to buy >6000lb SUV's and deduct the entire amount Year 1. It allows $25,000 a year.

179 is to acquire business assets and depreciate them fully right away, like machinery.

From the IRS:

Sport Utility and Certain Other Vehicles

You cannot elect to expense more than $25,000 of the cost of any heavy sport utility vehicle (SUV) and certain other vehicles placed in service during the tax year. This rule applies to any 4-wheeled vehicle primarily designed or used to carry passengers over public streets, roads, or highways, that is rated at more than 6,000 pounds gross vehicle weight and not more than 14,000 pounds gross vehicle weight. However, the $25,000 limit does not apply to any vehicle:

• Designed to seat more than nine passengers behind the driver's seat,
  • Equipped with a cargo area (either open or enclosed by a cap) of at least six feet in interior length that is not readily accessible from the passenger compartment, or
  • That has an integral enclosure fully enclosing the driver compartment and load carrying device, does not have seating rearward of the driver's seat, and has no body section protruding more than 30 inches ahead of the leading edge of the windshield.
He's thinking of expensive pickups and vans. SUV's the size of a Tesla aren't big enough.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
179 doesn't allow you to buy >6000lb SUV's and deduct the entire amount Year 1. It allows $25,000 a year.

179 is to acquire business assets and depreciate them fully right away, like machinery.

From the IRS:

You cannot elect to expense more than $25,000 of the cost of any heavy sport utility vehicle (SUV) and certain other vehicles placed in service during the tax year. This rule applies to any 4-wheeled vehicle primarily designed or used to carry passengers over public streets, roads, or highways, that is rated at more than 6,000 pounds gross vehicle weight and not more than 14,000 pounds gross vehicle weight. However, the $25,000 limit does not apply to any vehicle:

• Equipped with a cargo area (either open or enclosed by a cap) of at least six feet in interior length that is not readily accessible from the passenger compartment, or
  • That has an integral enclosure fully enclosing the driver compartment and load carrying device, does not have seating rearward of the driver's seat, and has no body section protruding more than 30 inches ahead of the leading edge of the windshield.
He's thinking of expensive pickups and vans. SUV's the size of a Tesla aren't big enough.
Well, he'll be surprised at tax time...:)

I had always thought 179 was put in for farmers...:)

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
"You can just sit there and work on your laptop, read a book, or watch a movie on the built in 4G WIFI HD TV."

Um, is that really an intended way to use the system? I thought you were supposed to pay attention so you could take over if necessary.

Also, referring to the TV as WIFI seems strange. You can't get WIFI while driving.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Some hyperbole mixed with reality. The truth is somewhere in the middle. But used as designed and intended and fully aware of its limitations and your responsibilities I believe Tesla's AP v 1 is just a glimpse of the future. Think of it as the "art of the possible".

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Some hyperbole mixed with reality. The truth is somewhere in the middle. But used as designed and intended and fully aware of its limitations and your responsibilities I believe Tesla's AP v 1 is just a glimpse of the future. Think of it as the "art of the possible".
Agreed, the author is a bit overboard.
Some of the info is also suspect.

It certainly is not intended, at this point, for a driver to work on his laptop.
It is the best driver assist package I have experienced, but it isn't true autopilot yet.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

From the IRS:

Facts can be a b****.

KNS

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Well, $25,000 in addition to the $7,500 is still pretty nice even though he can't expense the whole $130,000.

Also, if my salesman did that to me I would flip out on his ass and not purchase from him... you don't just flip controls on me when I am behind the wheel.

If he uses AP as he described we will here about the lawsuit when he crashes the damn thing... everyone here knows that is not how it is currently meant to be used. What he describes is the dream of fully implemented autopilot, not Beta Tester customers autopilot that is currently available.

Keith

PS: Not sure why customers are paying to be Beta Testers for autopilot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts