GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took a 17 for a brief test drive. Premier with conv 1 & 2. I put 40K miles on a 2013 so that is my reference.

Exterior styling - car shows well in kinetic blue. Since it was parked amongst a slew of Cruzes it was easy to compare, Volt definitely the nicer looking.
Interior - really nice in black leather. Only thing I could criticize was the large display is kind of kludged onto the "dashboard". Controls well laid out and very much like the return of knobs for the HVAC system. Since this was a quick look I didn't pay much attention to the myriad of buttons not essential to basic driving. Note the start and mode buttons are now a country mile apart.
And this is real important: the seat is far more comfortable in that the backrest doesn't have the arch that I never really got used to in Gen I.

The driving part - nothing like an electric motor for smooth power and the go pedal response is nearly instantaneous. Not a fast car but a quick car, and that is good enough for the street. Road noise much reduced, Michelin tires vs. Goodyears?

The salesman was with me so he had me try out parking assist. Reminded me to keep foot on brake because this is assist, not automatic, parking. The test was to back into a spot. So we drive around the lot and let the car find a space.
Follow the directions on the display, we get in OK but the car takes about 4 maneuvers to get in whereas I could have done it with one. Explanation was that one the vehicles was parked over the line so that confused the Volt. On a car as small as the Volt I don't see assisted parking as a must have option.

So here's the story, I felt like I was meeting a new and improved version of an old friend. Probably #1 on the list of possible next vehicle.

Rating - Two thumbs up.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Only thing I could criticize was the large display is kind of kludged onto the "dashboard".
Yeah, I'm not fond of that design, either. In fact, I was just driving my Volt an hour ago, stopped at a red light, and was staring at my screen, thinking the same thing to myself —*this could've been more neatly integrated like some of the other Chevys.

Mercedes-Benz is doing the same thing with their cars, too. It just looks "aftermarket" as if someone mounted a Garmin GPS navigator on the dashboard.

Glad you love the Gen 2. I definitely love mine!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am still waiting for one to arrive locally so I can test it out - I am 99% sure I am going to get a '17 MY since I really liked the '13 MY I recently turned at lease end. Did you get a chance to put it in Hold mode? Is it noticeably quieter? And is the back seat entry/exit any easier since they did lengthen it little? You already answered my other questions.
Enjoy your '13 while you have it.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am still waiting for one to arrive locally so I can test it out - I am 99% sure I am going to get a '17 MY since I really liked the '13 MY I recently turned at lease end. Did you get a chance to put it in Hold mode? Is it noticeably quieter? And is the back seat entry/exit any easier since they did lengthen it little? You already answered my other questions.
Enjoy your '13 while you have it.
Sorry, didn't check these out.
Believe it or not, my primary goal today was to just to see if the drivers seat was comfortable. Like gen 1 it's six way manual with no lumbar adjuster. Happy to find out I settle into it very nicely.
4 cylinder engines are not balanced in reciprocating motion. Unless the 1.5 has counterbalance shafts there will be some vibration in hold mode.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
It's funny, the Gen II center LCD screen kind of looks like what Tesla has in mind for the M3. I sort of free floating LCD.

Wonder who stole what from whom????

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
It's funny, the Gen II center LCD screen kind of looks like what Tesla has in mind for the M3. I sort of free floating LCD.

Wonder who stole what from whom????
From BMW? i3 displays:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts