1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
657 Posts
Active cruise control set a max safe distance would also be helpful ! Some of these big trucks can be pretty intimidating when they ride your back bumper!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Level 4 autonomy would be even better. That's where this is all going eventually. Autonomous trucks (Level 3) are already being tested on the road.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I don't want a semi. I don't really want a pickup (maybe I'll tolerate it when it finally arrives). Please make me a Suburban - without Falcon wing doors.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
If Tesla pushes this (I mean REALLY pushes it), they could do more good with just a few thousand semis than they have with their entire fleet of passenger vehicles. The ROI for an EV semi would be far greater than the ROI for a passenger vehicle based on fuel expenditures.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I've got to wonder how a semi truck driver will be received pulling his big rig and trailer up to a supercharger station and undoubtedly blocking many things in the parking lot. With such a heavy load, it's got to be hauling tons of batteries, anyone care to bet how many superchargers could be plugged in at the same time?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Really interested to see what the semi is made of. I assume it will have an enormous battery, but at what cost and weight? And how to charge that much capacity? Hook it up directly to an electrical distribution sub-station? It seems like some kind of hybrid would be more realistic, but I don't think Tesla would make a hybrid. Maybe he will use battery swapping to solve the charging problem, and cover the top of the trailer with Tesla solar panels to extend range. There is plenty of room under the trailer load floor for batteries.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Really interested to see what the semi is made of. I assume it will have an enormous battery, but at what cost and weight? And how to charge that much capacity? Hook it up directly to an electrical distribution sub-station? It seems like some kind of hybrid would be more realistic, but I don't think Tesla would make a hybrid. Maybe he will use battery swapping to solve the charging problem, and cover the top of the trailer with Tesla solar panels to extend range. There is plenty of room under the trailer load floor for batteries.
I know it's probably like pissing in the ocean, but there's also lots of surface area on top of the trailer for solar panels. Plus maybe put some on the side that swing up and out when parked.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
You guys are a real buzz kill.

I've got to wonder how a semi truck driver will be received pulling his big rig and trailer up to a supercharger station and undoubtedly blocking many things in the parking lot. With such a heavy load, it's got to be hauling tons of batteries, anyone care to bet how many superchargers could be plugged in at the same time?
And how to charge that much capacity? Hook it up directly to an electrical distribution sub-station?
Super Duper Chargers. Better start building more power plants, eh?

I assume it will have an enormous battery, but at what cost and weight?......and cover the top of the trailer with Tesla solar panels to extend range. There is plenty of room under the trailer load floor for batteries.
Yeah, and there are weight limits to all that. More batteries = less cargo.

Plus it'll take a pretty strong frame to hold those batteries safely.

I know it's probably like pissing in the ocean, but there's also lots of surface area on top of the trailer for solar panels. Plus maybe put some on the side that swing up and out when parked.
Sounds quite affordable.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Hyperchargers.
Back of the envelope, a ton of batteries is the equivalent to say 8 gallons of diesel, long haul trucks carry 300 gallons = 74,000 lbs of batteries?

·
Super Moderator
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Title: Tesla Semi To Use Model 3 Motors, Other Interchangeable Parts
http://insideevs.com/tesla-semi-use-model-3-motors-interchangeable-parts/

Here is Musk’s 2p on the topic from yesterdays conference call directly when asked about the Semi-Truck project (and partnering with another manufacturer to get it done) by Consumer Edge Research analyst James Albertine:

“No, we will manufacture that ourselves. Most of that semi is actually made out of Model 3 parts by the way. It’s actually using a bunch of Model 3 motors, without revealing too much about the future of it, so we are able to use a very high volume vehicle, and then combine several motors to have (pause) I think it’s actually going to have a very good gross margin like…not something that the other…it’s like you can’t do that with a traditional truck. So effectively (the Semi-Truck) was just a very compelling product that has low unit cost.”

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
This is where Supercharger V3 comes into play.
Imagine a ~500kWh battery pack being charged in about an hour.
Imagine an owner/operator's fuel bill being cut down, 90%!

I wonder if there could be some kind of discount for operators that agree to run x amount of loads for Tesla, in exchange for free charging, or something.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Hyperchargers.
Back of the envelope, a ton of batteries is the equivalent to say 8 gallons of diesel, long haul trucks carry 300 gallons = 74,000 lbs of batteries?
Between 2082.9 and 2132.67 lbs. for 300 gallons depending on whose diesel weight/gallon you use. So, about a ton with a full tank, not including the weight of the tanks. Rigs carry between 100 and 400 gallons, surely depending on their intended use.

A model S 85 kWh battery weighs 1200 lbs. You can have around 2 for the weight of full 400 gallon diesel tanks on an OTR rig. Gonna need weight reduction in other places.

And remember, you have to safely control a full trailer.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
This is where Supercharger V3 comes into play.
Imagine a ~500kWh battery pack being charged in about an hour.
Imagine an owner/operator's fuel bill being cut down, 90%!

I wonder if there could be some kind of discount for operators that agree to run x amount of loads for Tesla, in exchange for free charging, or something.
IIRC 2008 the first US electric heavy tractors went into service at Long Beach Pier. Balqon? They also sell LiFePO4 batteries. But they never made interstate trucks. Why?

Somebody check my math. To climb a 3300 feet with a loaded Class 8 in California (80,000lb), requires an additional 100kWh of power minimum just for the weight x height. Power required for a modern aero design tractor-van combo is 150 kW to maintain 60 mph on level ground. A 10 mph headwind changes that to 190 kW. And as you see any elevation change takes a huge amount of battery reserve capacity.

There are interstates that are over 6600' or 200kWh of extra capacity required.

And trucks can consume 300kW just by going the speed limit in a headwind in areas that do not have lower truck speed limits. 70mph in a 10mph headwind in modern aero truck is 300kW.

Things get worse when your trailer is not aerodynamic. Flatbed cargo or open car haulers can nearly double the fuel consumption at higher speeds.

And the whole weight thing is a serious problem. The best Class 8's can carry about 50,000lbs so it's critical to keep the trailer and tractor light by using aluminum, fiberglass, honeycomb, composites, etc. Every pound you strip off the truck means money in your wallet and fewer man-hours of labor, less fuel, less capital costs. You don't even fill your tanks unnecessarily. But you are really, really going to need over 1,000 kWh to be even marginally practical for limited EV interstate hauls. That will give a safe 300 miles laden on level ground regardless of wind in the mild climates at 60mph. You can't do significant elevation changes though. Right now, 1,000 kWh of battery weighs >10,000lb. Then 100% duty cycle inverters to handle at least 300kW sustained, and 300kW sustained motor. The diesel powertrain including 150 gallons and 15sp is under 6,000lb. You are suddenly too expensive because your load capacity requires more man-hours and capital.

And it should last 1,000,000 miles to be competitive from a capital cost perspective.

The scale of the task is being forgotten. Yes, there have been electric tractors running for a long time now. But they are used for flat areas, short range, low speeds, mostly dock or freight hubs. It's almost impossible to find out about them due to all the noise about 'future electric trucks' by the Marketeers. That must sting. Companies who have already been doing it are being shut out by companies dreaming about it to sell cars or stocks.

·
Super Moderator
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For long distance I think these guys have found a happy medium between electric torque and fuel. If they can plug in at stops then it is even more a winner.

https://nikolamotor.com/one

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
(Fargo voice) Ah jeez, hydrogen again. Where to buy......

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/hydrogen_locations.html

That's a lot of plugging in between coasts. Back to upgrading the electrical infrastructure again, and probably a lot of hanging out at truck stops when Tesla adds super-duper chargers there.

Just being practical - sorry for the buzzkill.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts