GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Koz,

I believe Eberhard was against a range extender in his early blog posts, and didn't see the light until just before his ouster, but his deathbed conversion didn't convince Musk.

I think Tesla Motors did have some trouble after Eberhard's ouster, as is typical in those circumstances. It truly seemed as if the whole place might be shuttered, since both Fisker and GM were offering REEV's to compete with Tesla's current and future products. I hope the recent delivery of another Roadster, and opening of dealerships in Europe and CA is indicative of things settling down.
Yes, Mr. Eberhard was strongly for BEV only (at least visibly to the public) during his tenure at Tesla. I think the Blog post you were referring to was one of the ones I (and others) tried pushing the range extending concept. I saw most of his ideas as excellent and very logical but he, like everyone, has some blind spots. The post compare BEV's, HEV's, PHEV's, and perhaps hydrogen. The PHEV concepts he used to condemn all plug-ins were poor examples.

I think the discord between Eberhard and Musk went much deeper than REEVs. Tesla accomplished so much in such a short period of time and at so many levels of their business that they will be hard pressed to extend that effort. This was all done basically from scratch and I can't see how, with Eberhard and much of the top managment that brought them along, they can succeed. Perhaps if they were more established, but hopefully I'm wrong. The market benefit greatly from a strong Whitestar product.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Yes, Mr. Eberhard was strongly for BEV only (at least visibly to the public) during his tenure at Tesla. I think the Blog post you were referring to was one of the ones I (and others) tried pushing the range extending concept. I saw most of his ideas as excellent and very logical but he, like everyone, has some blind spots. The post compare BEV's, HEV's, PHEV's, and perhaps hydrogen. The PHEV concepts he used to condemn all plug-ins were poor examples.
Glad we agree on that.

I think the discord between Eberhard and Musk went much deeper than REEVs. Tesla accomplished so much in such a short period of time and at so many levels of their business that they will be hard pressed to extend that effort. This was all done basically from scratch and I can't see how, with Eberhard and much of the top managment that brought them along, they can succeed. Perhaps if they were more established, but hopefully I'm wrong. The market benefit greatly from a strong Whitestar product.
I think a "blind spot" towards series hybrids and single threading transmission development (which I believe was the result of not personally buying into a 2-speed transmission to begin with) are sufficient reasons for Musk to seek different leadership. Both those things are "vision" clashes between the two. It is a shame that so much animosity still exists, as EV's are absolutely essential to the US economy's future growth. People have to focus on getting EV's on the road.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts