GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
jrigg,

It took me a bit to figure out how to do the hyperlinks here, too. First, highlight the word or phrase you want to act as a hyperlink. Second, click on the blue "insert link" tool icon. Third, insert the URL for the link in the box that pops up and click OK. The tool will add the required html codes to make the link work.

I usually underline my hyperlink words or phrases to identify them to the reader as a hyperlink. The insert-link tool doesn't appear to do that automatically.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the assistance!

·
Registered
151 Posts
We're supposed to get an update on the Whitestar in the second quarter of '08. Time is ticking. I wonder if the suit against Fisker will delay that announcement...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Note they also intend to produce a sub-$30k "Blue Star" EV in 5 years.

The next vehicle on Tesla's drawing board is a five-passenger sedan code-named White Star. The target price will be from $55,000 to $68,000. In five years, Eberhard wants to be producing a $30,000 electric car known as Blue Star.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Note they also intend to produce a sub-$30k "Blue Star" EV in 5 years.

The next vehicle on Tesla's drawing board is a five-passenger sedan code-named White Star. The target price will be from $55,000 to $68,000. In five years, Eberhard wants to be producing a $30,000 electric car known as Blue Star.
Um, there are more recent sources for Tesla's current plans, which understandably tend to change every quarter. Eberhard was relieved of his post in the 4th quarter of last year, so it's likely that the new CEO has different plans.

From what I've read, Tesla Motors is focusing on production of their Roadster, opening dealerships in CA and Europe, and developing the Whitestar sedan - offering both BEV and REEV versions. The third vehicle is intended to be a design in partnership with a major auto manufacturer.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Um, there are more recent sources for Tesla's current plans, which understandably tend to change every quarter. Eberhard was relieved of his post in the 4th quarter of last year, so it's likely that the new CEO has different plans.

From what I've read, Tesla Motors is focusing on production of their Roadster, opening dealerships in CA and Europe, and developing the Whitestar sedan - offering both BEV and REEV versions. The third vehicle is intended to be a design in partnership with a major auto manufacturer.
Um, thanks. I'm fully aware of the power changes. The link provided was just the first for the Blue Star I was able to find. I had not heard that the Blue Star concept had been completely dropped....do you have a link to that announcement?

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Um, thanks. I'm fully aware of the power changes. The link provided was just the first for the Blue Star I was able to find. I had not heard that the Blue Star concept had been completely dropped....do you have a link to that announcement?
I didn't say that the Blue Star was being dropped, just that it was intended to be developed in partnership with, and manufactured by, a major automaker.

If the Tesla Roadster is truly starting to roll off the assembly line, I suspect that the Whitestar development will move quickly, and the partnership with a major automaker will begin in parallel. I suspect that we should hear of a partnership before the end of this year.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If the Tesla Roadster is truly starting to roll off the assembly line, I suspect that the Whitestar development will move quickly, and the partnership with a major automaker will begin in parallel. I suspect that we should hear of a partnership before the end of this year.
I hope you are right. But a couple of factors that I think may throw Tesla off. First the lawsuit with Fisker. If Fisker did in fact steal trade secrets, then I doubt Tesla is going to want to release designs substantially different, otherwise they have no damages to complain of in the lawsuit. Second, Tesla will offer an IPO much like A123 prior to partnering with one of the bigger manufacturers IMO. The VCs want to make their buck first, even more than they want to protect their butts from ouster like Eberhard was kicked out.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I hope you are right. But a couple of factors that I think may throw Tesla off. First the lawsuit with Fisker. If Fisker did in fact steal trade secrets, then I doubt Tesla is going to want to release designs substantially different, otherwise they have no damages to complain of in the lawsuit. Second, Tesla will offer an IPO much like A123 prior to partnering with one of the bigger manufacturers IMO. The VCs want to make their buck first, even more than they want to protect their butts from ouster like Eberhard was kicked out.
Not sure what you mean about Eberhard, but you make a good point about the IPO being one of the pacing items prior to a partnership with a major automaker. It's hard to say, perhaps a partnership with a major automaker might help make an IPO take off, so they might seal that deal prior to an IPO - hard to say, I could see arguments doing it either way.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Not sure what you mean about Eberhard, but you make a good point about the IPO being one of the pacing items prior to a partnership with a major automaker. It's hard to say, perhaps a partnership with a major automaker might help make an IPO take off, so they might seal that deal prior to an IPO - hard to say, I could see arguments doing it either way.
Well, if Tesla goes the IPO route and have common stock with voting shares, they are subject to the whims of the majority stockholder. That's a good way to lose control. If it's closely held (aka private), then you retain control and can make decisions as you see fit. For example, Musk saw it in the best interest of Tesla to give the boot to Eberhard.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I was hoping that Tesla Whitestar might be an option for me. I spent a bit bit of effort advocating range extended versions of it on their blog, even before the Volt was announced. I don't have much hope anymore. They started to flounder since Martin Eberhard was relieved of his CEO responsibilities and have only appeared to do worse since his complete ouster. Perhaps it has just been a retracted focus to get the Roadster into production but that's not how it appears to me.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Koz,

I believe Eberhard was against a range extender in his early blog posts, and didn't see the light until just before his ouster, but his deathbed conversion didn't convince Musk.

I think Tesla Motors did have some trouble after Eberhard's ouster, as is typical in those circumstances. It truly seemed as if the whole place might be shuttered, since both Fisker and GM were offering REEV's to compete with Tesla's current and future products. I hope the recent delivery of another Roadster, and opening of dealerships in Europe and CA is indicative of things settling down.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Well, if Tesla goes the IPO route and have common stock with voting shares, they are subject to the whims of the majority stockholder. That's a good way to lose control. If it's closely held (aka private), then you retain control and can make decisions as you see fit. For example, Musk saw it in the best interest of Tesla to give the boot to Eberhard.
Am I to assume that you are hoping voting shares might lead to investors who wish to force out Musk? Musk has billions of dollars from his previous ventures, as well as a current success with SpaceX, so I don't see him going anywhere.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Am I to assume that you are hoping voting shares might lead to investors who wish to force out Musk? Musk has billions of dollars from his previous ventures, as well as a current success with SpaceX, so I don't see him going anywhere.
I'm indifferent to Musk. He puts his money where is mouth is, which is admirable. He's an advocate for EVs, which I support. I hope at least one version of Whitestar is a BEV, which would launch a heck of a lot quicker than an E-REV. The work has already been completed (drive train and battery), so why not?

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I'm indifferent to Musk. He puts his money where is mouth is, which is admirable. He's an advocate for EVs, which I support. I hope at least one version of Whitestar is a BEV, which would launch a heck of a lot quicker than an E-REV. The work has already been completed (drive train and battery), so why not?
The great thing about an REEV, is that adding an ICE generator has nothing to do with operation of the vehicle, as it just runs when it needs to keep the batteries charged a certain amount. In a true series hybrid, it only charges the batteries, which is a simple on/off sensor operation.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The great thing about an REEV, is that adding an ICE generator has nothing to do with operation of the vehicle, as it just runs when it needs to keep the batteries charged a certain amount. In a true series hybrid, it only charges the batteries, which is a simple on/off sensor operation.
I disagree a bit. The more junk you put on a car, the more that can go wrong. Maintenance on a BEV is less than an E-REV; can we agree on that? Plus, we've never seen an E-REV design successful, have we? The extra weight along with concerns about fuel spoilage, weight, oil changes, etc. are things I don't want to screw with. BEV for me please--although I will buy the Volt if it's first to market.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I disagree a bit. The more junk you put on a car, the more that can go wrong. Maintenance on a BEV is less than an E-REV; can we agree on that? Plus, we've never seen an E-REV design successful, have we? The extra weight along with concerns about fuel spoilage, weight, oil changes, etc. are things I don't want to screw with. BEV for me please--although I will buy the Volt if it's first to market.
I agree there is more maintenance for a REEV, compared with a BEV, but the "design complexity" is trivial, as ICE's and their controllers are already in mass production. A BEV just leaves you stranded between 4 hour recharges, so until they become rapid recharge, and build out the infrastructure, I wouldn't own a BEV.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts